Paper Mario Color Splash

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#91 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:07 PM

Nintendo have admitted that they want to essentially replace Paper Mario with Mario and Luigi since apparently having two different Mario RPGs is forbidden. Paper Mario has been stripped of its original purpose but is left with a really tedious RPG battle system anyways which adds insult to the injury. Now there's just an overemphasis on Mario and the world around him being paper and that's about it. Why not have Paper Mario be the Mario RPG series for consoles and Mario and Luigi be an RPG series for handhelds? It would make sense, I feel. But Nintendo cannot make sense as to what made Paper Mario so successful in the first place now anyways.

RIP Paper Mario. (No I don't think it's the death of Paper Mario; I just wanted to make a pun. Cause you know, you can rip paper......)

Yeah... Valve isn't the only one who can't count to three

• Shane and Jenny like this

#92 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:19 PM

For some reason, I thought Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi were both by the same developer, Intelligent Systems. This is not the case. If it was, I could understand to an extent the idea of making one series more RPG-focused over another, but as it stands... Well. I haven't played anything past Paper Mario 64. I played the first chapter of TTYD and found it too boring, even though it's supposed to get better afterward. I haven't played Super Paper Mario, I played ten minutes of Sticker Star and it wasn't enough time to get a feel for the game, but... In the end, I guess all I can say is...

Make Super Mario RPG 2 already.

*runs*

• Anthus and Jenny like this

#93 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:37 PM

Paper Mario TTYD certainly does have a few boring chapters I will admit; people tend to ignore that.

Chapter 1 is ok, Chapter 2 is just tedious and Chapter 4 has a lot of back-tracking. (though I still like 1 and 4 a lot..)

Edited by Can Dogs Eat Kiwi?, 08 October 2016 - 02:52 PM.

#94 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:18 PM

I've actually heard the writing is really, really good and that might be worth it for me.  I actually like Sticker Star and think it's a little underrated (though I fully understand why people dislike it), so I'll probably get Color Splash once I have disposable income (and I finish a number of games in my library that I need to).  I do also want to try some of the Mario & Luigi games too though, so that may get in the way...

From what I've seen, the biggest thing that's popped out to me is the scene on the train where Mario has a heart-to-heart with the Shyguy- it's actually really touching and is what confirms that it has more personality than Sticker Star does.

#95 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:58 PM

PM1 is my favorite too, and I tried playing TTYD, but I couldn't get into it for some reason. Never played SPM, or SS, but I downloaded SS to give it an honest shot. We'll see. Maybe I'll love, it, and by CS.

#96 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:36 AM

Decided to take the plunge and bought the game for $64, it's coming in the mail on Tuesday or Wednesday most likely.

#97 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:53 AM

I'm not terribly happy about the route they've taken with Paper Mario. My first game in the series was TTYD, and I loved it. Great atmosphere, music, partners, and it's just a fun game. I have played a little bit of PM64, but not too far. I also played through SPM, which differed from the previous two games, but I enjoyed it a lot. I figured they would return to the RPG style afterwards, and I was thrilled when they announcement Sticker Star, bought it at release... and bleh. Color Splash looks interesting, but I feel that they've continued on this departed path, when it really shouldn't have. The first two games were popular, and they still are, and it surprises me that Nintendo can't see that they're disappointing many fans of the series. One can only hope that they see that they've made a mistake, and try to rectify it in the future. I may give Color Splash a shot, but it won't be for quite some time. I've got a lot of games to catch up on, and most of the ones that are sequels tend to stay true to what their predecessors were. 

#98 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:00 PM

Paper Mario TTYD certainly does have a few boring chapters I will admit; people tend to ignore that.

Chapter 1 is ok, Chapter 2 is just tedious and Chapter 4 has a lot of back-tracking. (though I still like 1 and 4 a lot..)

Eh, I'd say PM64 has that problem too, but opinions and all that. Both games easily make up for it in the end imo at least.

Anyhow, to no one's surprise; Underwhelming gameplay like Color Splash appears to have = a pass for me. I'll purchase the next game that goes back to the RPG and partners system if we ever get that again. Until then, this series is long dead to me.

• Cukeman likes this

#99 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:46 PM

For me, Color Splash isn't quite a buy yet, however, I do think it's at least a step in the right direction. It has the genuinly enjoyable writing that I loved about the first 3 Paper Marios, even if it sorely lacks in the beautifully crafted cast of characters, and actually enjoyable gameplay that those first 3 games had. To me, even though TTYD is my favorite game in the series, I'm honestly standing under the opinion that Super Paper Mario is actually better than the first game, primarily because I enjoyed that one more.

#100 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:56 PM

I honestly was never bored during the whole game. Didn't find a single chapter boring. Super Paper Mario on the other hand bored me to death until i just quitted after 6 or 7 hours. I was genuinely bored through most of that time. The gameplay was the biggest culprit, it's just the gameplay from the main mario games with some very light RPG elements.

#101 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:36 AM

I've unlocked the first 5 levels so far, some observations:

1) I enjoy the dialog/text and situations encountered in the game thus far.

2) Combat is tedious if you configure it to Basic or Basic & Buttons (Unsure about the 3rd option).

- Too many steps for you to perform at the start of each turn of battle. The Paint process should be possible when looking at your deck of cards in combat via pressing one of the many, many unused buttons (Like X, Y, L1, L2, R1, R2, Start, Select etc.) this way you can eliminate 1 step and 2 transitions from the process. This will allow you to view your cards, paint them as necessary and when you've decided what ones to use you can press "A" on the cards you want to utilize and then press Up to Confirm selection and engage combat. This process would flow a lot more quickly and more smoothly.

- Game doesn't have any auto-sorting of cards as an option.

- The small animations and delays between each step makes it a lengthy process each turn.

- At the start of battle it seems to not remember where the selection courser was at the end of the last battle so you gotta scroll across past all the power-up cards to get to your combat cards. Surely they could have it default to the right most combat card instead?

3) When configuring the game to Basic & Buttons it will fail to show ANY indication of which button does what on the gamepad display!!! Like it doesn't say B (Back), A (Select), A (Paint), Up (Next Step) etc. during combat and you can't use the buttons at all in the Shop UI or CutOut UI.

4) Enemies don't drain in colour as you deal combo attacks making it impossible to tell if a combo attack does or doesn't deal more damage during the combo. If you defeat an enemy during a combo attack (Like performing an excellent jump on a Koopa) it will inexplicably still be half coloured when it flies off screen/dies.

5) Cut-Out mechanic seems to be an extremely bad excuse for terrible level designs. Instead of using it to cut away pieces of the background to reveal pipes, springs, hidden paths or hidden platforms it instead lets you magically teleport past obstacles and to all new locations because that is vastly better idea than how such things are handled in the Gamecube game (note the facetiousness in the italicized portion of that sentence). Let's just have Mario warp around instead of designing interesting ways to get from A to B instead of utilizing logical or interesting modes of transport!

6) The game has Off-TV gameplay support which means the game has support for a single display. This means that support for the Pro Controller shouldn't be an issue! So where is my Pro Controller support!?

7) There does not seem to be any XP system, so fighting enemies seems completely pointless?

Aside from these issues the game seems okay'ish, kinda? I might return the game within the 7 day satisfaction guarantee period that EBGames offers and wait for the game to drop in price before re-purchasing.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 23 October 2016 - 08:05 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#102 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:32 AM

Where are all the naked Toads clothing items? I've so far found everything (and a book) except for 1 item that sounds like a hat according to Know It All Guy. I need to complete this quest to progress the story it seems (I've done everything possible in every accessible level except this objective)

Edit: Apparantly I was supposed to notice this: http://imgur.com/a/lEhGE(Note that the "Pull" message only appears if you stand STILL at that specific spot.)

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 26 October 2016 - 10:46 PM.

#103 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:56 AM

I significantly updated this post regarding my observations of the game now that I've reached the first major boss in the game: http://www.purezc.ne...=7#entry1008256

#104 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:47 PM

And I've now written a review of the game here: http://www.gamefaqs..../reviews/163309

Edit: updated the review a little.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 08 November 2016 - 11:48 PM.

#105 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:54 PM

Make Super Mario RPG 2 already.

They did, the original Paper Mario is pretty much exactly that, but with some names and references changed:

-Twink was almost certainly Geno, Geno's true form was as a star/sparkle.

-Notice the similarities between Star Spirits and Star Pieces.

-"Focus" is revealed to be "wishing", a theme from the original SMRPG about the stars being powered by wishes.

-This "Super Mario RPG 2" trailer:

The main difference seems to be that there is no longer a large, overhead map at the title screen.  But ALL of those locations and events are in the final game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users