Photo

Hip-hip horray! It's Bug Squishing Day! (Oct 15th)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:13 PM

So, now that you're here, I suppose you want to know just what this "Bug Squishing Day" is and what it means for you....Well, pull up a chair. It's OK. I'll wait.

There. That's better. To be frank, if you have no interest in beta testing, Bug Squishing day won't mean diddly squat. Now, for those that ARE interested in beta testing; Bug Squishing day is a very special, if largely symbolic day that was inspired by the Ubuntu development team's similar pseudo-holiday (whose name escapes me at the moment). It essentially glorifies the tireless efforts of our beta testers for a bug free Zelda Classic while at the same time beckoning those on the sidelines to join in, if they can. So, as I said earlier, it's largely symbolic. It's power rests on the the shoulders of the beta testers.If the beta testers fall silent, so too does Bug Squishing Day.

So, why even have it? Good question! I suppose there's no need to have it, really, if we were all automatons, hellbent on optimizing lines of code. But we aren't. We're gamers (ex or otherwise), we like to have FUN. And so I, with input from the rest of the staff, conceived Bug Squishing Day. The goal is to doll up the admittedly tedious task of reporting bugs with the trappings of festivity! To make it F-U-N fun, for at least one day out of each month until the development cycle ends.

Of course, we can't do this alone. The first thing we'll need is what any good party does: some promotional materials, to get the word out. To this end, we'd like some volunteers to craft some userbars and (small) banners. They don't have to be too fancy, but looking sharp would be a definite plus. The next thing we'll need, of course, is participants.I'm not going to go around hounding anybody with a sign-up sheet, but at least a few participants in our first ever Bug Squishing day would be nice. If this really starts to take off, there may be stuff added on to it in the future, but that only happens if there are enough participants. So please, come with a good attitude and let's get out there and crush some bugs! The first one is marked for the 15th of October on the community calender. Be there, or be square!

Any questions, comments, or promotional contributions are welcome, so don't be shy. I won't bite, I promise. icon_wink.gif

#2 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:03 PM

I'll handle the userbar/banner Eurysilas. Should be up momentarily, or at least some point in the near future.

Also, HUGE props for the Weird Al reference in the title. Mad skills, mang.

#3 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:16 PM

I would, but, the only beta available to me is from two months ago icon_razz.gif

I am interested in beta testing ZC, but, ZC Linux isn't the priority here(and Deviance doesn't have Linux at the moment anyway)

Edited by Alestance, 19 September 2008 - 10:17 PM.

#4 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:49 AM

I am looking forward to Bug Squishing Day. icon_smile.gif

I would also like to reward one bug-squisher a month with their name on the front page, as the member who made the biggest difference in helping the ZC developers squish bugs that month. Like SotW, but without screenshots! icon_wink.gif

As soon as banners are available, I'll bump out my Chrono Trigger DS icon and plug Bug Squishing Day in my sig. icon_thumbsup.gif

By the way, this topic's title is a little confusing... despite my approval of Weird Al, it makes it sound like we've already started and ended Bug Squishing Day (since it was posted yesterday).

#5 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:23 PM

When is Bug Squishing Day??? Was it yesterday? :O Anyways, I am really busy today if it is today. Plus, the newest beta has that slash -> next bug that doesn't really let me test my quests. >_< Hope there is a new build soon.

#6 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(Shoelace @ Sep 20 2008, 01:23 PM) View Post

When is Bug Squishing Day??? Was it yesterday? :O Anyways, I am really busy today if it is today. Plus, the newest beta has that slash -> next bug that doesn't really let me test my quests. >_< Hope there is a new build soon.

15th of October

Thar ya go.

#7 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:46 PM

I feel really stupid now.... lol. Well count mes in. :O

#8 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:00 AM

Topic title edited to alleviate confusion.

#9 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

Crud, October 15th is a Wednesday... sorry, don't think I'll be able to make it.

#10 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:34 PM

IPB Image
CODE
[url=http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37799][img]http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/7351/bugsquishingdaybg5.png[/img][/url]

In all it's glory. Place in your signature and spread the word. icon_wink.gif

#11 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:39 PM

That, good sir, is fething hilarious. I'll try to work some time in, by the way... dunno how far I'll get, but meh, I'll still try.

#12 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:49 PM

icon_biggrin.gif Thanks, I was like, "There's nothing witty or special about this." and then I made the bug talk like a pirate. COMEDY GOLD.

On a related note, how, exactly, will this go down on the forums come October 15th? I'm curious as to how this will be promoted on the day of the event.

#13 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:56 AM

Haha! I'll add it in my sig, it is indeed hilarious! And if I'm correct October 15th is while I have vacation, so I could do some bug squishing then.

#14 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire)
On a related note, how, exactly, will this go down on the forums come October 15th? I'm curious as to how this will be promoted on the day of the event.

Well, the promotional aspect is still being discussed, but how I imagined it going down is that hordes of people would be clamoring at both AGN and Pure to report bugs, and that everything would proceed like a well-oiled, bug crushing machine. Now, that's me being rather "imaginative", but we'll see how it plays out.

#15 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:11 PM

Are the ZC devs actually taking part in this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users