Photo

ZC in Ubuntu Hardy Heron 64-bit

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

Well, that takes care of Linux's sound problem. Koopa, you might want to release a Linux build soon with this file, so that others don't run into this problem anymore, and the last build was eons ago. (Something along the lines of "Same as last Linux build, but now with sound!" attached to it)

#17 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:25 PM

Having troubles- the pat2dat utility fails to output a DAT file, exiting with "Error writing temporary file."

EDIT: OK, got around the permission problem (possibly compromising security in the process). But the problem with stuck notes still stands. Koopa, any ideas (ag.cfg settings, perhaps?)?

#18 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:34 PM

Hm... Do you have write permission in the directory you're doing that in? That's all I can think of, offhand.

#19 Zieg30CT

Zieg30CT

Initiate

• Members

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:10 PM

I'm not to sure what to say except that the sound lag depends on the SoundFont file that you converted to patches.dat. I noticed that when trying a few patches earlier made from the soundfont known as Unison and the soundfont known as PersonalCopy.

The soundfont known as Fluid-soundfont-gm in the Ubuntu repositories didn't produce any lag for me when I used it but like I said earlier the sounds it produced on my laptop sounded a little odd.

Right now I am downloading another SoundFont but the size of it is pretty hefty so I probably won't be able to try it out tonight. Once I do get the chance to try it out I'll post back on how it sounds and whether or not there is any noticeable stuck notes or lag.

Edit:
Just another thought here.
Should a sticky be made for how to get sound in ZC for Linux or would it be pointless?

Edited by Zieg30CT, 15 September 2008 - 09:53 PM.

#20 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:26 AM

Just to clarify: I'm no longer active on the development team, and can't release builds anymore. You'd have to ask an active developer for that.

I wonder if the other one is a linux-specific or a zc/allegro-specifig bug though - I thought I'd heard of it a couple of times at AGN.

EDIT: WARNING: I just tried this with the 2.10 linux builds, and patches.dat crashes all of them. Without it, they run (but without music). The latest 2.5 builds seem to work OK with it though.

#21 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE(Koopa)
I wonder if the other one is a linux-specific or a zc/allegro-specifig bug though - I thought I'd heard of it a couple of times at AGN.

I take it, then, that you know of no settings in ag.cfg that might resolve the problem? Perhaps fiddling with buffer sizes, or some such thing?

QUOTE(Koopa)
EDIT: WARNING: I just tried this with the 2.10 linux builds, and patches.dat crashes all of them. Without it, they run (but without music). The latest 2.5 builds seem to work OK with it though.

Probably because patches.dat was created with a version of Allegro that is newer than 2.10/2.10.2 was built on. Indeed, I'd be very surprised if this had worked.

#22 Zieg30CT

Zieg30CT

Initiate

• Members

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:02 AM

I tested the SoundFont that I downloaded last night and it sounds incredible (to me at least) and I couldn't hear any lag. The only downside is that the SoundFont is about 1.5GB and so is the patches.dat that was created from it.

If you want the SoundFont you'll have to search for it because I don't think the forums could handle people downloading a file that big.

The SoundFont is called Crisis GM 3.51 ZSF Edit.sf2.

#23 Koopa

Koopa

• Members

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:07 AM

Eurysilas: I'm afraid I don't know of any such settings myself.

I'll try using pat2dat from an older allegro version and see if that gets 2.10 to work under linux with sound.

#24 Zieg30CT

Zieg30CT

Initiate

• Members

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:13 AM

Funny thing just happened actually. I downloaded ZC 2.10.2c from the Armageddon forums and had sound without a patches.dat but it crashed after the Armageddon flames disappeared.

@Koopa
T'is a shame you no longer release builds for Linux.

Edited by Zieg30CT, 16 September 2008 - 11:16 AM.

#25 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:04 PM

Deviance is the developer who does the Linux Builds, but currently he doesn't have a Linux distribution running, so he can't do them right now, either.

Also... HOLY HECK! THIS SOUNDFONT IS NEARLY A GIGABYTE! icon_eek.gif

Where did you download it from specifically? The torrents I've found don't connect.

Edited by Alestance, 16 September 2008 - 12:11 PM.

#26 Koopa

Koopa

• Members

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:13 PM

Ok. Here's some more info.

For a small soundfont, download either Saffith's or get the SNES soundfont. This one is a .sf2, meaning you'll need to convert it like Saffith said (pat2dat patches.dat sample.sf2).

I've tried 2.10.2c both with older and newer allegros - it always crashed after the flames disappeared and it was supposed to show the title music/screen. I'll try and reconvert with the precise allegro version used for 2.10 and see if that helps.

EDIT: Ok, I got 2.10.2c and this soundfont to work, but it's a custom build. Chances are it'll work if you convert with the right version of allegro.

#27 Zieg30CT

Zieg30CT

Initiate

• Members

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:06 PM

@Alestance
I went to the infamous thepiratebay.org to download it. I'm not to sure as to how many seeders there are now but last night there were about 50. So it may take you even longer than it took me to get the file. (Over 6 long hours even though there were 50 seeders)

Edit: Just checked thepiratebay.org
Here is the exact name of the torrent I downloaded:

crisis GM soundfont (sf2)

Good luck downloading. Not many seeders remain. (about 4, not to discouraging I hope)

Edited by Zieg30CT, 16 September 2008 - 04:21 PM.

#28 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:16 PM

Only two seeders for me. Gonna take me days.

#29 Zieg30CT

Zieg30CT

Initiate

• Members

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:28 PM

You might get lucky and get it by tomorrow if you leave your computer on all night.

#30 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:32 PM

Hah, I doubt it. I calculated the speed of the download to how big the file is. Its about 73 hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users