61 replies to this topic

#1 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:55 PM

Yes. One Screen.

Here are the criteria:

-It can only use one screen. You may use layers, however. Link should not be able to exit that one screen.
**Exception: if a screen does not contain any gameplay, it is allowed. (like title screens or cutscenes)**
-You may not make drastic modifications to the screen via scripting. (changing a few combos is okay, as in less than 15 changes or so) Animations and Combo cycling are okay.
-Scrolling-screen scripts are not allowed.
-The game must contain at least 5 minutes of actual gameplay.
-Scripting is allowed and strongly encouraged unless you can't script worth crap.

It will be rated based on length and fun.

The deadline is now October 4. Voting will be closed a week after that. Submissions should be PMed to me. Hopefully the new date will work out for all of us. me

I WILL be participating in this contest, just so you know. That's why it's a poll and not an "I judge" kind of thing.

Participants:
Beefster
ZebraStallion
Joe123 & Migokalle
Russ?
jimmyb
Puzidman?
Lord Ike
T. Platinum?
KaunkaPinlran

Edited by Beefster, 16 September 2008 - 06:30 PM.

#2 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:24 PM

Sounds, well, interesting. I might attempt this, but just one question... When you say scripting is allowed and encouraged, do you mean for example that you could script pong, and as long as that stay on the one screen, you can enter it? (No, I won't do that because as you put it, I can't script worth crap icon_sweat.gif .) This contest sounds as though it will produce many a fine idea.

#3 Lune

Lune

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:59 PM

Sounds fun, and might take a shot at it, but I couldn't script a candle and don't know how to make a single screen last 5 minutes. That would make custom bosses hard, so basically everyone that is good at scripting, come to this contest!

#4 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:13 AM

Hrm.
I was trying (and failing) to script snake a few months ago.
Maybe I'll open that up again.

#5 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:46 AM

Can Link go inside? as if he went into screen eighty as a shop?

#6 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:58 AM

Can you use tile warps to warp Link to another screen that's exactly the same as the previous one, but with a few modifications? I'm thinking of doing something having to do with puzzles, and I can't script for squat, so I need to make sure if I can do that.

#7 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:03 AM

I'll participate! This sounds fun and easy. I already have a basic idea of what I'm going to do!

#8 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:02 PM

Is it possible to do a joint entry?
Migokalle just had a really good idea that I'm gonna help him script I think.

And this question's probably gonna sound pretty silly, due to the 'one screen' name and everything, but we can't have a title screen can we?

#9 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:28 PM

Let me ask this: Could it be a custom boss? For instance, it's an old fashion custom boss that uses multiple screens, but when you play the game, it seems like it's only one screen. Is it allowed?

#10 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE(jimmyb @ Aug 23 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Sounds, well, interesting. I might attempt this, but just one question... When you say scripting is allowed and encouraged, do you mean for example that you could script pong, and as long as that stay on the one screen, you can enter it? (No, I won't do that because as you put it, I can't script worth crap icon_sweat.gif .) This contest sounds as though it will produce many a fine idea.
Correct. So long as it takes one screen, (with or without layers) it is allowed.

QUOTE(Lord Ike @ Aug 24 2008, 06:46 AM) View Post

Can Link go inside? as if he went into screen eighty as a shop?
No. It should take up one screen and one screen only.

QUOTE(Russ @ Aug 24 2008, 11:28 AM) View Post

Let me ask this: Could it be a custom boss? For instance, it's an old fashion custom boss that uses multiple screens, but when you play the game, it seems like it's only one screen. Is it allowed?
QUOTE(T. Platinum @ Aug 24 2008, 08:58 AM) View Post

Can you use tile warps to warp Link to another screen that's exactly the same as the previous one, but with a few modifications? I'm thinking of doing something having to do with puzzles, and I can't script for squat, so I need to make sure if I can do that.
No. It's a one screen quest, not a one room contest. The intent is to use only one screen with or without layers.

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Aug 24 2008, 11:02 AM) View Post

Is it possible to do a joint entry?
Migokalle just had a really good idea that I'm gonna help him script I think.
And this question's probably gonna sound pretty silly, due to the 'one screen' name and everything, but we can't have a title screen can we?
Change of rules: There may be only one screen worth of actual gameplay. I hadn't considered title screens before.

#11 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:42 AM

Wait, so we can't have a titlescreen? Hmm... and still, we ARE allowed to do a joint entry, right?

#12 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:35 PM

Sure. I see nothing against joint entry. It isn't a one person contest.

You can have more than one screen so long as all but one of them contains NO gameplay whatsoever. So you may have a title screen.

#13 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:25 AM

Thanks, that's nice to know =)

#14 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:33 AM

Great!
So, get ready to be blow away be our quest, people icon_biggrin.gif
xD
Thanks, by the way. Coop is awesome! Ahahah

#15 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:44 PM

I'm out of the contest. I can't find the scripts I need and everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users