Photo

Urrrgh... MySpace...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:37 AM

MySpace managed to piss me off just recently. There was a song I wanted on my profile, but the band didn't have it up. So I made a new artist page titled "The Satellite's Music Storage" and uploaded an MxPx song to it. I set it so it could not be downloaded, added "MxPx - " to the beginning of the title of the page, and set a little note recognizing who the author was. I made it clear that it wasn't my work only that I really wanted that song on my page.

It worked, for a little while. Though I logged in a couple of days ago, and the song wasn't playing. I knew my computer wasn't on mute. I checked: it said that the song has been deleted by the artist, and I knew I didn't delete it. So I checked, and the buggers deleted the band page!!!!!! icon_mad.gif

I don't get it. I made it clear that it was MxPx's work, not mine. I know I've seen other band pages that host songs from other people but it's not their own, and they haven't been deleted! icon_evil.gif This just blows.

#2 Tseng

Tseng

MMmmmmm Simpsonized

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:18 AM

Maybe They have to set some sort of agreement with the bands to get their music hosted. Maybe MxPx didn't want whatever song you had on your page to be available. Its a far out guess... but maybe.

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:21 AM

Well, would messaging me asking me to remove have been a better alternative? icon_shrug.gif

It makes sense, but I still don't see why they just outright deleted my profile. icon_confused.gif

#4 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:21 AM

That sucks for you. I created a band page to host a song for my profile and it hasn't been deleted yet.

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:24 AM

That's lucky for you. It looks like I'm probably going to invest (not the right word) in a playlist, like alot of other people have. icon_unsettled.gif

#6 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:24 AM

The likely thing is that MySpace's end-user agreement makes everything you post on your pages their property - so they are ultimately the ones responsible for any copyright issues and things. They don't want to get sued for even the smallest misunderstanding, so they are careful. I know ACIDplanet works like that - once you upload something it becomes both your property and theirs.

Also, if it says it was removed by the artist, that may not necessarily be true. You also might have just been a victim of a random search for a violation of some kind as well; there are likely so many violations that dealing with them all at once is not effective or feasible, so they do random sweeps, just to please the authorities and claim that they are indeed combating copyright abuse.

#7 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:28 AM

Ay.
QUOTE(Noir)

Also, if it says it was removed by the artist, that may not necessarily be true.

That's what it said. Then I went to the page, and the page was gone. icon_badrazz.gif I'm going to get along with my life. But it still sucks. icon_thumbsdown.gif

#8 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:32 AM

Most likely they took it down because of copyright violation. Remember, you may be the one using the music on your band page, MySpace is the one that would be sued because it's on their website. icon_unsettled.gif Also remember that even letting other people listen to songs for free is illegal. Why do you think radio stations and things like that have to pay to be able to let thousands of people listen to the music? And, while I think simply asking you to remove it would have been a better option, you have to understand that a lot of people on MySpace would simply ignore it anyway. Not saying that you would ignore it, but a lot of people would. icon_shrug.gif

But, in the end, MySpace still sucks. icon_blah.gif

#9 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:33 AM

"This song was deleted by the artist" is the message you get if a song is deleted from a band profile or that profile no longer exists.

#10 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ May 31 2007, 11:32 AM) View Post

Also remember that even letting other people listen to songs for free is illegal.

I thought that was downloading songs for free. icon_unsettled.gif (unless the artist allows it, of course icon_blah.gif )

Which is what I thought when I did the page. I didn't allow the song to be downloaded, which I thought would've made it clean. icon_sigh.gif Ah, well. Blame Tom. He's affiliated with Communists, anyways. icon_xd.gif
QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ May 31 2007, 11:32 AM) View Post

But, in the end, MySpace still sucks. icon_blah.gif

Then why do you have a page? icon_razz.gif

#11 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ May 31 2007, 10:37 AM) View Post

I thought that was downloading songs for free. icon_unsettled.gif (unless the artist allows it, of course icon_blah.gif )

Which is what I thought when I did the page. I didn't allow the song to be downloaded, which I thought would've made it clean. icon_sigh.gif Ah, well. Blame Tom. He's affiliated with Communists, anyways. icon_xd.gif

That's what a lot of people tell themselves, but that's not really true. Why do you think YouTube is being targeted for TV clips that people upload? Artists want you to buy that music, and they know that some people won't buy it when they can just listen to it online. icon_shrug.gif

Then why do you have a page? icon_razz.gif

I have one, but to be honest, I only get on maybe once a week. icon_razz.gif I've considered deleting it several times in the past few months, too.

#12 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ May 31 2007, 11:45 AM) View Post

That's what a lot of people tell themselves, but that's not really true. Why do you think YouTube is being targeted for TV clips that people upload? Artists want you to buy that music, and they know that some people won't buy it when they can just listen to it online. icon_shrug.gif

I'd personally rather own the music than having to go online to listen to it whenever I wanted to. icon_shrug.gif

#13 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ May 31 2007, 08:45 AM) View Post

I have one, but to be honest, I only get on maybe once a week. icon_razz.gif I've considered deleting it several times in the past few months, too.

You shouldn't do that. When your time for graduation comes, you may want to keep it intact... for contact.

Anyway, sorry to hear that, Satellite. Perhaps send a request to MxPX to put it up on their page? =x

#14 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE(Exate @ May 31 2007, 01:09 PM) View Post

Anyway, sorry to hear that, Satellite. Perhaps send a request to MxPx to put it up on their page? =x

The problem is, most bands can only have four songs on their page (most I've seen is four). I'm not so sure they'd put a song on there if I asked them. I'm actually going to go see them in concert this Saturday. Maybe if I bump into them, I'll ask them. icon_shrug.gif

#15 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:10 PM

I hate it when songs get deleted. Seems like every time I change the song on my page, the next day it's been deleted by the artist. So annoying! I'm running out of songs I like to put on my page...

Oh well. I've never really been that big on myspace, so I can do without the music.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users