• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 NekoArc

NekoArc

trans catgirl extrodinaire

• Members

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:41 AM

I kid you not.
The fate of 12 German giant rabbits delivered to North Korea is in doubt. The breeder who sent them suspects they have been eaten by top officials rather than used to set up a bunny farm. Berlin's North Korean embassy denies the allegation. One thing is sure: the country will have to find another seller.

A German rabbit breeder who sold 12 rabbits to North Korea to breed giant bunnies said he won't be exporting any more to the reclusive communist country because he suspects they have been eaten.

Karl Szmolinsky, 68, sent the spectacularly huge rabbits, which are as big as dogs, to North Korea late last year and had said in January he might deliver more to assist the country's program to alleviate food shortages through rabbit breeding.

He had been due to travel to North Korea after Easter to provide advice on setting up a breeding facility for the rabbits, which can produce around seven kilos of meat.

But his trip was cancelled at short notice. Szmolinsky said he got a call from a North Korean official last Thursday informing him that the trip was off because the government was unhappy with the way in which a local Berlin newspaper had reported about the deal.

"I think the animals aren't alive anymore. I was due to go and inspect the animals and look at the facility. North Korea won't be getting anything from me any more, they shouldn't even bother asking," Szmolinsky told SPIEGEL ONLINE. "They kept delaying the trip. I would have liked to go."

The North Korean embassy in Berlin denied that the rabbits were dead and said no one at the embassy had contacted Szmolinsky. "The rabbits aren't intended to be eaten, they are for breeding purposes," a spokesman said.

Szmolinsky, who has been breeding rabbits for 47 years, has won prizes for his bunnies. Robert, a 10.5 kilo "German gray giant" that won a prize at a rabbit show last year, was among the consignment of four males and eight females dispatched to North Korea. Robert's son, Robert II, is still safe in his hutch in the eastern German town of Eberswalde.

Szmolinsky said he suspected Robert I and his fellow bunnies had been eaten by top officials and that that was the real reason why he wasn't getting a visa. "That's an assumption, not an assertion," he added. "But they're not getting any more."

Szmolinsky had made the North Koreans a special price of €80 per rabbit instead of the usual €200 to €250. He had said in January that the 12 rabbits, capable of producing 60 babies a year, were being kept in a petting zoo in the North Korean capital Pyongyang pending his arrival.

Other buyers lining up

Szmolinsky's deal with North Korea attracted worldwide media coverage and brought him orders from around the world.

He has been in preliminary talks with potential buyers in China, Russia, Cameroon and the United States. "The Russians wanted 400 rabbits, there's no way I could deliver that many," said Szmolinsky, who produces around 90 rabbits a year. "I'm getting a delegation from China in June or July and have been told that I may be asked to go to Shanghai to provide advice."

North Korea's state-run news agency had reported in September that people were being encouraged to breed rabbits for food. The country has admitted to food shortages of a million tons, the United Nations World Food Program said last week.

In the absence of better donor support, millions were vulnerable to hunger, the UN warned. North Korea suffered a famine in the mid-1990s that killed as many as 2.5 million people, and has since suffered chronic food shortages.

It had been unclear from the start how Szmolinsky's bunnies would help given their own voracious appetite for top-quality vegetables.

Source

I feel sorry for those bunnies that were send over there.

#2 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:55 PM

I saw that one on "Have I got News for You". Those were sure large bunnies ...

the breeder who sent them suspects they have been eaten by top officials rather than used to set up a bunny farm.

Anyone else think that says a lot about how the "people's state" is run?

#3 Papa

Papa

Disruptive and obnoxious member since 2005

• Members

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:01 PM

Oh man, thats just messed up. That would be comparable to the commander-in-chief and the US cabinet having a BBQ when China sent us the pandas..... icon_freak.gif

~apoetalone~

#4 jimbob

jimbob

Accepting that no-one will get my avatar.

• Members

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:04 PM

I remember seeing this on TV a month or so ago;. I remember not being surprised that the Kimster ate the special offer Superlapins... but, more importantly, HOW F***ING BIG ARE THOSE RABBITS? GEEZ! Now you know where they got the idea for some of the FFXII chars from...

#5 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:31 PM

Rabbits aren't a good solution to food shortages anyway. They should invest in peanut farming.

#6 Hunter P Brown

Hunter P Brown

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:35 PM

Well, if they can enlarge rabbits like that, why not vegetables and fruits? I remember on The Simpsons, Lisa injected steroids into a growing tomato plant and it grew huge. It could feed a family for a full day.

Enlarging animals would be good with cows and chickens. Think about eggs the size of bowling balls? That'd be pretty cool and could help food shortages.

#7 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:36 PM

They could always eat grass. At least that doesn't cause cancer.

#8 Hunter P Brown

Hunter P Brown

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:40 PM

They might could do that as a last resort. Grass isn't the tastiest thing on this planet (it's the total opposite, aside from raw skunk probably. lol Ed saying Spicy in an Ed Edd n' Eddy episode when he eats a skunk instead of a jawbreaker).

Cannibalism could come into effect, too.

#9 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:07 PM

Those are some, uh... Big bunnies o__O

Can you even call them bunnies? Bunnies are supposed to be small, furry rodents. These things are just... an abomination against nature.

Kinda cute though.

#10 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:03 PM

Well, it sucks that no more German Giant Rabbits are ever going to be delivered to North Korea again. icon_frown.gif And I agree with GoldenChocobo. Rabbits are usually small mammals, not large mammals. icon_confused.gif

#11 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:27 PM

Rabbits are usually small mammals, not large mammals.

Nor are they large reptiles.

Just sayin' icon_heh.gif

#12 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

Why, must I clean out Old Lady Simmon's Cave?

• Banned

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

Those rabbits are actually kind of average to tell they truth now these are some f'n big rabbits!
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Now these are some true German giants Here is my source

I think the last two are real but I'm not sure on the first one.

#13 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

Ok. So the head honchos of North Korea (supposedly) ate the rabbits that were shipped instead of breeding them to make more rabbits so some of those could be eaten. Wow. Smart move. *sarcasm*

I have nothing against peanuts, but I think they're a little small to be a single-crop that feeds an entire country.

Also, HOW DID RABBITS GET TO BE THAT HUGE?!! *feels like giving one of those rabbits a hug* I hope it's natural instead of some artificial additive or something. I don't approve of using additives to make animals bigger, by the way.

#14 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE(ennonfenom @ May 9 2007, 05:06 AM) View Post

Those rabbits are actually kind of average to tell they truth now these are some f'n big rabbits!
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I'm half German. bit of trivia there. Anyway, those are massive rabbits. If we had those down here, we probably wouldn't have any food left because they would have eaten it all. And I think the first one is real.

#15 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE(ennonfenom @ May 8 2007, 01:36 PM) View Post

I think the last two are real but I'm not sure on the first one.

No, the first one is definitely real. They're all real. Why would they post fake pictures among the real ones?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users