Photo

how do i save .gif images to match a tileset's palette?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Akkabus

Akkabus

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:13 AM

i have some tiles sitting in a quest file that i want ported over to another file, both of which use the DoR tileset. how do i take a screenshot of the tiles and keep with it the DoR palette?

any help's appreciated. i hope i'm using the right forum, too.

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:15 AM

Um... can't you just take a screenshot, open it in Paint, and save it as a .gif? icon_shrug.gif

#3 Snarwin

Snarwin

Still Lazy After All These Years

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:25 PM

You can take a screenshot of your tiles by going to the tile page (Quest -> Graphics -> Tiles) and pressing F12.
QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jul 30 2007, 12:15 PM) View Post

Um... can't you just take a screenshot, open it in Paint, and save it as a .gif? icon_shrug.gif
Paint screws up the image when you try to save it as a GIF. Personally, I recommend using IrfanView to convert your images.

#4 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:00 PM

Paint has never messed up my shots when transferring from a .bmp to a .gif icon_shrug.gif

#5 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ Jul 30 2007, 10:00 PM) View Post
Paint has never messed up my shots when transferring from a .bmp to a .gif icon_shrug.gif
If you edit ANYTHING using paint, though, it messes up the palette. Solution: look at Snarwin's post.

EDIT: Shut up.

Edited by Ebola Zaire, 30 July 2007 - 10:11 PM.

#6 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Jul 30 2007, 11:07 PM) View Post

If you edit ANYTHING using paint, though, it messes up the pallette. Solution: look at Snarwin's post.

GANNON-BANNED

#7 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:12 PM

You know, SD, sometimes I feel like taking a chainsaw to my own throat when I misspell palette.

#8 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:21 PM

Well then Ebola, that does not explain how you were able to rip my wooden shield DoR tiles in then. I used that method icon_shrug.gif

#9 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ Jul 30 2007, 10:21 PM) View Post
Well then Ebola, that does not explain how you were able to rip my wooden shield DoR tiles in then. I used that method icon_shrug.gif
That's extremely odd. I don't know what's going on, then, because it always and invariably messes the palette up for me.

#10 Akkabus

Akkabus

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:40 PM

thank you. Snarwin gave me the best reply--i was using a separate program to print screens of my tiles; i didn't even realize zquest comes with its own screen capture feature. i'm all set now, thanks!

#11 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:06 AM

Putting anything in Paint changes the palette to 24-bit. I don't know of any way to preserve palette information in Paint. icon_shrug.gif

#12 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:16 AM

Paint used the same bit depth as the image you opened. If you open a 1 bit picture you will only be able to use black and white while editing it.

Making a new image in paint however used 16 million colours, and Zquest won't read anything above 256 colour. Using paint to convert an image from 16 mil to 256 REALLY screws it up and you lose a lot of information.

ZC saves screenshots in 256 colour mode, with a preserved palette. If you open and edit a screenshot in paint, you should be able to rip it back into Zquest without any problems.

*tries*

... yep, works fine.

#13 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:29 AM

Okay. My mistake was creating a new image in Paint then pasting the screenshot into it.

That mistake seems so obvious now that I think about it. icon_sweat.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users