Is Zelda Classic Legal?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:54 AM

I thought the midis were ripped and converted from a ROM, the same probably holds for the original tiles.

If Nintendo didn't like us, they could sue us for using their idea and the name "Zelda" as much as for ripping specific content.

#32 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:13 PM

But it's confusing. Back a little while ago I made a duplicate MySpace page, a band page, to host a song that I wanted on my MySpace profile. I made it clear that the song wasn't mine, didn't allow it to be downloaded, and made it clear that I was only using it for my profile. Couple of days later, MySpace deleted it.

That's a bit the same as ZC: not for profit, but for purposes that don't bring profit or take credit from anybody. How is ZC any different from the MySpace thing?

Well, I'll tell ya. ZC has grown far away from a Zelda clone into a totally fan system. The majority of people use it for their own quests and works, and though there is such a thing as a original first/second quest remake, alot of those have been tweaked to be somewhat different from the originals. So, ZC wouldn't have a legal problem anymore, really. icon_shrug.gif

I'm still kinda miffed about the MySpace thing, though. icon_unsettled.gif

#33 IaN

IaN

Warrior

• Members

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:16 PM

But the basics of ZC are still Zelda. The legality of it is that ZC is in violation of Nintendo's trademark on the Graphics, Music, Maps, (and Names of characters?), that are packaged with ZC. If 1st/2nd quests were not included, and an original Tileset/Musicset were distributed with ZC and were default when you opened Zquest, there would be nothing to worry about. It's not that ZC as a program is illegal (I don't know if having similar gameplay is in breach of anything though, and I'm not sure if you can copyright anything past the source code) it's that it includes illegal material.

#34 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE(IaN @ Jul 29 2007, 02:16 PM) View Post

it's that [ZC] includes illegal material.

Then maybe we should make it so that the classic set is not an option anymore. That way, we'll be in less heat, and n00bs will stop making crappy classic quests. icon_heh.gif

Okay, I'm just kidding about removing the classic set. icon_heh.gif

Eeh, if people want to play the classic Zelda, go buy it on VC, the GameCube Collector's Edition disc, or the GBA port. Origin's better, anyways. icon_naughty.gif

Okay, I'm just kidding about removing the first/second quests, too. icon_heh.gif

But I'm sure somebody from Nintendo knows about the existence of Zelda Classic. I'd be REALLY surprised if there weren't. icon_unsettled.gif

#35 Professor Bedwetter

Professor Bedwetter

Strangers when we meet

• Members

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

zelda classic makes people want to play zelda and it also gives people something to do while waiting for the next nintendo game. without it poeple would get bored and start playing halo! and we know nintendo wouldnt want that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users