Basic scripting tutorial (WIP)

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:01 PM

zscripting seems pretty cool, it's like a mix of C and Java. Is the run() function simialar to main()

Yep, pretty much the same.

There's a small error in the functions section you might want to fix so that it won't confuse people. The function in question is Link->HP = Add(48,-16) but you describe it as "Equivalent to Link->X = 48 + -16"

Oops, yeah, I'll fix that. Thanks.

EDIT: My bad, didn't see how old this was.  :awesome:

Not a problem, it's still meant to be used. I've been meaning to clean it up a bit more and submit it as a proper tutorial, but I've obviously been putting that off...

#62 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:57 AM

Is the stuff in the first post still relevant to current scripting? I don't know a whole lot beyond adding pre-made scripts, and was just wondering if this can still help people learn how to make basic scripts?

This looks like a really comprehensive tutorial, either way.

#63 Lejes

Lejes

Seeker of Runes

• Members

Posted 07 December 2014 - 04:14 AM

It's all still relevant, and the best existing tutorial for it.

#64 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 07 December 2014 - 04:09 PM

I keep saying I'm going to clean these up and add them as tutorials... And, actually, looking at them now, I think they're just about ready to go. After six years, I've finally accomplished maybe a week's worth of work!

So, yeah, maybe I can get that taken care of soon.
  • Aevin and David like this

#65 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:39 PM

Should I take a brief Algebra-1 refresher before attempting to learn any complex scripting? I feel like it couldn't hurt, cause there is some math involved, to varying degrees. I wish some awesome person with infinite free time would make video tutorials for scripting.

#66 SUCCESSOR

SUCCESSOR

Apprentice

• Banned

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:08 PM

Should I take a brief Algebra-1 refresher before attempting to learn any complex scripting? I feel like it couldn't hurt, cause there is some math involved, to varying degrees. I wish some awesome person with infinite free time would make video tutorials for scripting.

As long as you have order of operations down you'll pretty much be alright. Don't worry too much about geometry either there's functions for that. Bitwise operations are good to know but not necessary.

#67 Lejes

Lejes

Seeker of Runes

• Members

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:34 PM

I don't know about that. You won't really be solving equations, but the broader definition of algebra as manipulation of symbols is pretty important. The manipulation of variables is vital. I also find myself using a lot of trigonometry and some vector math, even if there are functions to take care of some of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users