BS dungeon tiles

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jay

Jay

Magus

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:29 AM

is there around some better dungeon tiles for BS? If not, could anyone tackle it?? I cannot find any around, I'm looking for things like pillars, sweet looking water/ lava, Skulls for ground, Vines for walls, new custom grounds etc.?
I'm using Vel's original set, putting all the good stuff I can find in it, but keeping it all BS icon_wink.gif , So far looking pretty good! Overworld wise any who, Need some good dungeon stuff, I really can't sprite or tile for crap icon_unsettled.gif

#2 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:18 AM

Okay most of the time theres no reply because some things can't happen look in database for some pillars as for the rest another BS set has some great tiles like skulls, lava, water, and doesn't the BS dungeons have vines? icon_unsettled.gif new ground yes total of 3 there is sand, normal brick and I think the other brick pattern.

As for the other threads:
  • Migos Castle tiles not possible but use Linkus there a bit different but the building shapes the same.
  • Origins tileset advance = not exist.
  • Clock Tower = I think the reply on that thread says it all.

I hope that narrows it down good luck, icon_awesome.gif Shane icon_awesome.gif .

#3 Jay

Jay

Magus

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:28 AM

Yep thanks lol, Well it does exist, but when i said originas tileset advance, I was refering to the tileset shadowfall 1976 used in his origins advance and origins advance 2 quest, which he did release, The link's do not work anymore, is why I asked icon_smile.gif

#4 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:42 AM

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ Dec 7 2009, 03:18 AM) View Post

• Migos Castle tiles not possible but use Linkus there a bit different but the building shapes the same.
I hope that narrows it down good luck, icon_awesome.gif Shane icon_awesome.gif .

This specific bit of post has nothing to do with this topic.

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ Dec 7 2009, 03:18 AM) View Post
Okay most of the time theres no reply because some things can't happen look in database for some pillars as for the rest another BS set has some great tiles like skulls, lava, water, and doesn't the BS dungeons have vines? icon_unsettled.gif new ground yes total of 3 there is sand, normal brick and I think the other brick pattern.

Not vines, moss. VEL's version might not have a lot of the things LiNK1090 wants.

QUOTE(LiNk1090 @ Dec 7 2009, 01:29 AM) View Post

is there around some better dungeon tiles for BS? If not, could anyone tackle it?? I cannot find any around, I'm looking for things like pillars, sweet looking water/ lava, Skulls for ground, Vines for walls, new custom grounds etc.?
I'm using Vel's original set, putting all the good stuff I can find in it, but keeping it all BS icon_wink.gif , So far looking pretty good! Overworld wise any who, Need some good dungeon stuff, I really can't sprite or tile for crap icon_unsettled.gif

First of all, don't use VEL's BS Zelda Tileset. I'm not saying it isn't a good choice, but I AM saying Radien expanded the tileset and there is a much better selection of tiles in New BS Tileset 3.1

Second of all, if what you want is better graphics, then go with DOR. This set is more complex, but I'm sure you could handle it. icon_wink.gif

#5 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:13 AM

Well, here's the thing: BS dungeon tiles were ripped from a specific game, BS Zelda, so all of the tiles were designed for that game. BS Zelda dungeon tiles are not designed for freeform dungeons. They're designed for square rooms with the doors in specific places. Since the graphic artists knew that was what they'd be working with, they used a detailed brick pattern that isn't as practical for freeform dungeons like what you would find in LTTP.

I did my best to adapt BS dungeons to freeform in New BS v3.1, and the result looks pretty good if you can figure them out, but you may find them more difficult to use. Take a look and give them a try. If freeform BS dungeon walls don't work for you, try LTTP walls. You may have to rip them into the tileset, though, so it might not be the most practical solution.

Beyond that, saying you need "better" tiles isn't really helpful. What constitutes "better?" It depends on what you need. You mentioned a few things you need, but first thing's first: you have to determine what kind of walls you need. From there, decide what kinds of floor elements you want to include. Please think about that and tells us what you're looking to accomplish.

Also, yes, I designed the New BS tileset v3 to be much better organized than the original. It also has a lot more tiles, which may be part of what you're looking for.

#6 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Dec 7 2009, 06:13 AM) View Post

I did my best to adapt BS dungeons to freeform in New BS v3.1, but you may find them more difficult to use. Take a look and give them a try. If freeform BS dungeon walls don't work for you, try LTTP walls. You may have to rip them into the tileset, though, so it might not be the most practical solution.

I DID make a version of the BS Zelda dungeons myself that was designed with Freeform Dungeons in mind.

Here is a link

They're much easier to use, I would figure. I just don't have boss doors for it yet. icon_shrug.gif

I should probably get it done and upload them to the database...

#7 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:50 AM

Hmmm... they're all right, but they lose the perspective that generally characterizes Zelda games. It'd be possible to simplify the tiles while still retaining those angled pillars. Or at least make them diminish at the base.

I tried using my own walls and discovered they aren't that bad. They just require a little more work to design with because I never made 2x2 combo east/west doors (just 2x3 combo blocks). But still, take a look at what I whipped up and you can see what's possible with the provided tiles in New BS.

IPB Image

Screen design could be more interesting, I know, but look at what the walls can do. icon_smile.gif

#8 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ Dec 7 2009, 08:18 AM) View Post

Alestance pointed this out but just to clarify - it would be better in future for you to reply to each individual thread rather than a mass response like this.
I spent a few minutes trying to work out what this post meant, and it wasn't until I read Alestance's post and looked up in the forum index that I worked out what you were saying here.

#9 Jay

Jay

Magus

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:21 PM

Yeah i geuss you all got some good points, But I've decided to stop whining and requesting, and start having a go at it myself, may god be with me aha, I am going to try to rip lots of cool tiles into the origins 3 tileset and recolour them, Such as dark castle tiles, hyrule castle tiles interior (both from minish cap), The outdoor castle tiles migokalle made, Etc. So far I've done the dark castle ones properly icon_smile.gif
If anyone has any cool MC looking tiles, or ones would match origin 3 tilesets style, I could use em please?

Edited by LiNk1090, 07 December 2009 - 04:21 PM.

#10 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:18 PM

Um... I didn't think Migo released those castle tiles publicly did he? I know he showed them off, but I'm pretty sure he said he didn't want anyone using them.

Unless you got permission off him, then it's okay.

#11 Jay

Jay

Magus

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:44 PM

he sent them to me himself.

#12 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:24 AM

I didn't release them.

#13 Jay

Jay

Magus

• Members

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:40 AM

I know, but you did give em to me to use though, little bit ago.

#14 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:03 AM

Did Migo actually say you could use them in a quest?

Sorry to butt in on this exchange, but I've had people use stuff that I just showed them as a preview. It's annoying.

#15 Jay

Jay

Magus

• Members

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:09 AM

I still have the PM, Asked him to do up some mc castle tiles for the origins 3 tileset, he just sent the ones he made for DoR for me to recolor, but yes, I do have permission. They look great in the tileset to, my quest so far is comingood, Rips and mapping, I posted it in custom quest discussion with a couple screenies, including the castle tiles in it, and the dark hyrule castle tiles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users