How to Add Wall Jumping to Your Quest Without Scripts

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

(I'm not really sure where this should go...)

I don't know how I figured this out. This is pretty awesome. Yes, you heard me right. Wall jumping. Without scripts. And the craziest part is, it actually works. O.O

It's tricky to set up, but once you've done it once, you can use it as many times as you want.

Result: In side view when Link jumps on the side of a wall, he will have a small amount of time to press the opposite direction and leap off the wall. If Link doesn't jump off, he will fall to the bottom of the wall. I would put up a video but I don't know how. It works pretty well. It's definitely functional. I personally think it's awesome. :) It adds TONS of new gameplay possibilities and makes you feel like a parkour master.

Basic Idea of How it Works: It works because of a lot of fancy combo cycling which I'm not going to explain. You can figure it out if you really want to. The wall actually consists of nine separate combos which I will refer to as A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, and I. The combos should be arranged on the combo sheet starting with A, going to the right, and finishing with I.

Instructions: First make a graphic of half a wall, the right half of a wall if you are making a right wall, the left half if you are making a left wall. All combos of the wall should use this graphic.

COMBO: A
TYPE: Step Next (Same)
SOLIDITY: NONE
ANIMATION FRAMES: 0
ANIMATION RATE: 0
CYCLE TO: NONE

COMBO: B
TYPE: NONE
ANIMATION FRAMES: 1
ANIMATION RATE: 1
CYCLE TO: C

COMBO: C
TYPE: Step Next
ANIMATION RATE: 3
CYCLE TO: F

COMBO: D
CYCLE TO: E

COMBO: E
ANIMATION RATE: 20 (This determines how long Link holds on to the wall before falling off)
CYCLE TO: H

COMBO: F
TYPE: Step Next
SOLIDITY: If you are making a left wall, one block in the top left corner. If a right wall, one in the right.
ANIMATION RATE: 20 (This determines how long Link holds on to the wall before falling off)

COMBO: G
CYCLE TO: E

COMBO: H
TYPE: Step Next (Same)
SOLIDITY: None
ANIMATION RATE: 20 (If this is too low, Link will be able to wall jump onto the wall he jumped off of)
CYCLE TO: A

COMBO: I

NOTE: All combos should have the boxes Refresh Animation on Room Entry and Restart Animation when Cycled to checked.

All you have to do now is place the A combo where ever you want it.

So there you go! I know it's tedious, but it's pretty awesome. :) It took me forever to figure out. Credit would be nice though it's definitely not necessary.

-Strike

Edited by strike, 09 October 2013 - 04:57 PM.

• David likes this

#2 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

I'm thinking about testing this one out on one of my quests. I'll let you know what I think.

Could Link use this to jump up the same wall? Because I am not sure if I enjoy the inconsistencies of only being able to wall jump sometimes. I can however create walls that look desperate from regular walls to indicate that they are these types of walls.

#3 strike

strike

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

What do you mean, "Could Link use this to jump up the same wall?" I'm not sure what you're saying. Link can't wall jump off the wall and land back on the wall in the same jump if that's what you mean. The only videogame I know that does that is Super Meat Boy (and you can let that happen if you want).

-Strike

Edit: Do you mean wall jump on every wall in the quest? All the walls with this combo, yes.

Edited by strike, 07 October 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#4 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

Donkey long country 2 does it as well, but using sticky honey.

#5 strike

strike

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

Well, just make the animation speed on H higher and you can do that.

-Strike

#6 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:28 PM

Interesting, that's actually worth trying.

From the looks of t, the real work here is setting it up, but once that is down path, it's as simple as putting the combos on the screen.

#7 strike

strike

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

Yep.

-Strike

#8 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

We need more ideas like these. I believe all quests need side scrolling aspects, there is so much potential here that people simply aren't willing to try.

#9 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

Wow, this is really awesome! I think I'm going to try it out and see what happens. Thanks for this! :D

#10 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

I am unable to get this working for some reason. 

#11 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

Whoa, how is this even supposed to work, Strike? You said you won't explain the fancy combo cycling but at least you can try to. :)

Edited by Avataro, 09 October 2013 - 03:46 PM.

#12 strike

strike

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

Let me look over and make sure I copied everything right.

I'll edit when I'm done.

-Strike

Edit: I'm pretty sure everything's right. You probably copied something wrong. It works. I should probably give out an example quest. The problem is I don't know how to use Media Fire (won't load on my computer).

If you tell me what's happening I could probably fix it. How badly doesn't it work?

Avataro- If you actually cared, you could figure it out. I'm really in a bad mood, so I apologize in advance.

Here's a really brief version.

A- Makes sure link is some where on the wall before the cycling starts
B- Just makes sure that when C starts it's in the beggining of it's animation.
C- Breaks the wall into two combos, E the part of the wall Link is on, F the part of the wall Link isn't on. It carves a niche in the wall for Link.
D- Basicly the same as B
E- Once the time for Link to hang on to the wall has expired, it cycles to an empty wall, H.
F- This is the only part of the wall that is actually solid. Once the time Link can hold on to the wall has expired, it will cycle to an empty wall, H. Also, if Link somehow is in this combo, it will cycle to G which will cycle to E.
H and I- H and I are closely related. H is a step next same combo which will take you to I. I takes you right bake to H. So how this works is once you get off the wall and the time to cycle expires, the whole system will start again. H and I prevent lots of weird glitches.

That probably makes little to no sense. I might write a better version when I'm not tired and in a bad mood.

-strike

Edited by strike, 09 October 2013 - 04:42 PM.

#13 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

From the looks of it, I haven't made any errors, after looking at it a few times. I can't seem to figure it out, I raised the speed for H, but also for E and F because I want Link to stick unto the wall. 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=j46wmInWvzk

This is what I'm trying to do. Any help?

#14 strike

strike

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

DOH! You lower the speed, not raise. My bad. That's probably what's messing it up. Also, if you have E and F's speeds TOO high, it will mess up.

-Strike

#15 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

To create the effect (or a similar one) that which you see in that video, what would you recommend?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users