• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Zerro

Zerro

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Greetings,

I saw a quest recently where a player was able to walk on a tile while the spikes were down but when they were fully extended, they would damage the player. I was wondering how to do something similar.

Edited by Zerro, 12 February 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#2 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

it can be done by cycling combos. if you go to the combo editor, it'll ask you what the next combo should be, so point it to some spikes (or any combo that deals damage), and then go to the spikey combo and point it back to the 'safe' combo. fiddle with timing and there ya go.

#3 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

I could be wrong, but I think that some of the tilesets in the database already have some combos set up like that if you wanted to check that out. I want to say that the Pure tileset had something like that. Again, I could be wrong.

#4 Master4sword

Master4sword

• Members

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

The default classic tileset has cycling spikes premade, so you can find those and see how they work.

#5 Zerro

Zerro

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Okay I got this figured out though I'm having one other problem:

For the puzzles I want to make it so the player stands on the tile while the spikes are retracted. The player then waits until the next set up spikes retracts and then quickly walks onto the tile before the tile he's standing on damages him. The only problem though is that with the default A.Frame & A.Speed settings, the player has no time to transition from tile to tile. I'm wondering if someone could help me with figuring out the correct A.Frame & Speed to make the puzzles work.

Default Settings
4,4 (None:Safe tile) -> 4,4 (Damage 1/2: Extending) -> 4,4 (Damage 1:Fully extended) -> 4,4 (Damage 1/2: retracting) -> 4,4 (None:Safe, Loop)

I tried removing the Damage setting on the extending and retracting combos but the player still didn't have enough time. I feel the extending and retracting tiles are what I need to edit but haven't figure it out yet.

Thanks for any assistance. I took the tiles from DoR

#6 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

I think you'll have to make different combos for that, with different timings. It's pretty hard to just guess the correct timing, trial and error is probably your only way to go there.

#7 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Set the animation speed on the combo longer, it won't cycle until it's done with its animation.

Edited by Aslion, 12 February 2013 - 02:53 PM.

#8 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

change the animation speed of the safe tiles so that it animates slower and gives you more time to move -or- add a second safe tile into the rotation.

_-^-_ turns into __-^-__ or _ _ -^-_ _
try using 12 or 16 instead of 4.

To offset two different tiles, you will need to place combos down at different periods in the loop cycle. When you make the screen, put a few safe tiles, then a few with pikes already up.

__^^__ will become __--__ then --__-- and finally ^^__^^.
hope that makes sense.

#9 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

try to think of it like this make the first block with damaging spikes,then make it cycle it to safe tile then on another tile do it in reverse so that the first block is safe then the next one is spikes.you might want to make it 3 graphics at a time though and not 2(if 2 it would be to fast)

#10 Zerro

Zerro

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Okay I think I'm getting close to something but the animation is kind of glitching out on me.

Right now I have:
1) 5,12 (None) __ __ __ .. --
2) 6,12 (Damage) -- ^ ^ ^ ^ --
3) 5,12 (None) -- .. __ __ __

I use the 1 for the first tile the player steps on then 2 will be the first damage tile the player encounters and I just alternate using 1 & 2. The problem is, when I place 1 & 2 down, the animations sync up. Sometimes adding more frames or another tile into the cycle would fix the problem but I feel the current setup I have above is what I need but this glitch is annoying me.

#11 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

hmm....well try different numbers of graphics,you would have them like 5's or 10's....i will try it out sometime to try to figure it out

#12 Zerro

Zerro

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

I think I'm getting closer to what I want but the cycling is still glitching on me. Sort of seems like a frame issue. Here's an image of how my combos are setup:

IPB Image

#13 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

hmm.....try not using tiles 14735-14739.it might help because of the extra long time the spikes are down.(i went to the same page and then i use an object to see how many blocks it was from the bottom then i figured out the rest)

Edited by coolgamer012345, 12 February 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#14 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

also could you show how to set the block to cycle to another one,then i could learn how to cycle and help you by testing different combinations.

#15 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

Do you check "refresh animation when cycled to"? It may help you if you have animation problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users