Messy Kills?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:47 AM

I'm no expert at scripting, so I don't have an idea whether or not it's feasible to do this. To help me, I have a couple of illustrations to show what I'm going for.

Imagine we have, say, some octorocks. Now naturally, these guys want nothing other than to chew on a nice big piece of Link. Time for the trusty wooden sword.
IPB Image
Now, there isn't a whole lot of killing power to a wooden sword, but octorocks are squishy, so...
IPB Image
Ouch! Now let's say we up the ante a little. Let's imagine link got a couple of heart containers before coming over here, and managed to get his hands on a better weapon. A sharper blade means a cleaner kill, right?
IPB Image
Nope! That white sword popped that octorock like a bag of hamburger. Notice the nice spray of giblets? He hit that sucker pretty hard. Now Link wants to shoot a couple of arrows at that one up top.
IPB Image
Eh, looks like one arrow was more than enough for that...Oh nice! that octorock dropped a bomb! Let's say we let Link have a little fun with that last one...
IPB Image
...to some fairly predictable effect.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether or not there is a way to script an over the top messy kill system into ZC without some huge sort of setback. Anyone with some scripting experience care to share some wisdom?

#2 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:05 AM

It is possible to have that scripted, but I doubt that anybody's going to do it since it sounds so complicated. At least I'm not doing that. I am not into gory deaths like this.
Honestly, I don't believe that Zelda will be the same with said gore effects. Reminds me of that creepy-as-heck level from LQftH that I do not want to remeber icon_frown.gif. I, admittedly, put in blood in one of the cutscenes of Atoment of Time while I was working on it, but that was about it.

Edit: Am I sensitive to gore or are these illustrations slightly NSFW?

Edited by Orin XD, 21 July 2012 - 05:07 AM.

#3 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Jul 21 2012, 12:05 PM) View Post
It is possible to have that scripted, but I doubt that anybody's going to do it since it sounds so complicated. At least I'm not doing that. I am not into gory deaths like this.
Honestly, I don't believe that Zelda will be the same with said gore effects. Reminds me of that creepy-as-heck level from LQftH that I do not want to remeber icon_frown.gif . I, admittedly, put in blood in one of the cutscenes of Atoment of Time while I was working on it, but that was about it.

Edit: Am I sensitive to gore or are these illustrations slightly NSFW?
Honestly? You're way oversensitive if you find this bothersome. I look away when doctors start cutting into people in movies, but no games have been able to make guts that realistic-looking yet, and a little red color shouldn't bother anyone icon_razz.gif

As for this idea, I applaud it. Not because it's gory, but because it's new. It adds a whole new visual element to a quest, and ideas like that I think is worth striving for. I hope someone does this.

#4 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:18 AM

Honestly, I don't believe that Zelda will be the same with said gore effects. Reminds me of that creepy-as-heck level from LQftH that I do not want to remeber icon_frown.gif. I, admittedly, put in blood in one of the cutscenes of Atoment of Time while I was working on it, but that was about it.

Go play VEL's quest 'Mario's Insane Rampage.' You'll have a heart attack.

#5 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Jul 21 2012, 08:34 PM) View Post

Honestly? You're way oversensitive if you find this bothersome. I look away when doctors start cutting into people in movies, but no games have been able to make guts that realistic-looking yet, and a little red color shouldn't bother anyone icon_razz.gif

As for this idea, I applaud it. Not because it's gory, but because it's new. It adds a whole new visual element to a quest, and ideas like that I think is worth striving for. I hope someone does this.

Yeah, I overracted to that. Its just that I can't stand excessive blood and gore (Halo's level I can stand, TF2 and Gears' level I can't tolerate well), swearing (ie. f***, s***, and other words like that) and innuendo.
... I was actually guessing you would respond to that comment while I was playing Metroid II just then.

QUOTE(Fausch @ Jul 21 2012, 09:18 PM) View Post

Go play VEL's quest 'Mario's Insane Rampage.' You'll have a heart attack.

That's why I specifically avoid quests like that. It's not that I would have a heart attack, but more for the fact that I would never see the Mario series (or any Nintendo one for that matter) in the same way again. Same as the Link's Bad Hair Day series.

#6 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

Woah, this thread pops up after we were discussing this concept on skype last night. O_O

Anyway, a game with this in it would certainly be unique, but the effectiveness of something like this depends entirely on execution.

#7 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

Hm. I'm not saying that it's a bad idea but I believe this unnecessarily moves away from what a Zelda game, by heart, is. Which is not "gory". I agree that it looks harmless but I don't believe it suits a Zelda game much. That is all.

#8 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

Now this is something I would like to see. This would make killing enemies feel quite satisfying.

Note: I don't always like blood and gore, But I would love to see something like this in ZC, I have to say though this is a nice new fresh Idea and I like this.

#9 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

This is very basic compared to what you described, but it's a start (for the gore-haters, I definitely don't plan to use this in my quest just so you know).

Note: This requires that every screen have a layer 1. As a bonus, the remains stay there when you leave the screen.
CODE
const int bloodCombo = 1;
global script messyKills{
    void run(){
        while(true){
            for(int i = Screen->NumNPCs(); i > 0; i--){
                npc enem = Screen->LoadNPC(i);
                if ( enem->HP <= 0 && GetLayerComboD(1, ComboAt(enem->X+8, enem->Y+8)) == 0 ){
                    SetLayerComboD(1, ComboAt(enem->X+8, enem->Y+8), bloodCombo);
                }
            }
            Waitframe();
        }
    }
}

#10 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE(MoscowModder @ Jul 21 2012, 11:08 AM) View Post

This is very basic compared to what you described, but it's a start (for the gore-haters, I definitely don't plan to use this in my quest just so you know).

Note: This requires that every screen have a layer 1. As a bonus, the remains stay there when you leave the screen.
CODE
const int bloodCombo = 1;
global script messyKills{
    void run(){
        while(true){
            for(int i = Screen->NumNPCs(); i > 0; i--){
                npc enem = Screen->LoadNPC(i);
                if ( enem->HP <= 0 && GetLayerComboD(1, ComboAt(enem->X+8, enem->Y+8)) == 0 ){
                    SetLayerComboD(1, ComboAt(enem->X+8, enem->Y+8), bloodCombo);
                }
            }
            Waitframe();
        }
    }
}

I'm gonna have to learn some scripting. I'd like to carry this to the level of my mockups up there. Kudos, though, for actually doing it.

Hm. I'm not saying that it's a bad idea but I believe this unnecessarily moves away from what a Zelda game, by heart, is. Which is not "gory". I agree that it looks harmless but I don't believe it suits a Zelda game much. That is all.

Eh, to each, his own. I always craved a darker Zelda. I grew up with it, and I just don't feel like playing a cartoon anymore.

#11 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE(Fausch @ Jul 21 2012, 11:17 AM) View Post

I'm gonna have to learn some scripting. I'd like to carry this to the level of my mockups up there. Kudos, though, for actually doing it.
Eh, to each, his own. I always craved a darker Zelda. I grew up with it, and I just don't feel like playing a cartoon anymore.

Hmm...the way I see this is...it definitely does NOT fit a Zelda game, or anything Nintendo related. HOWEVER, what you COOOOOOULD do is make your own graphics and stuff for your own kind of game with this stuff in it; then it'd make your quest that much more unique icon_wink.gif.

#12 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

Those octorocks got what was coming to them. icon_razz.gif

The blood scripts would be perfect if somebody wanted to make a survival horror game using the zquest.

#13 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Jul 21 2012, 04:34 AM) View Post

But it's Zelda. The happy-go-lucky Nintendo game with "Cartoon Violence". Seeing everybody's favorite elf go on a gory massacre with blood and GORE, it could be a little unsettling for some fans.

To me, NAH. They're just 16-bit sprites icon_razz.gif

Edited by Keiichi123, 21 July 2012 - 12:32 PM.

#14 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

I think it's his quest and he can do as he likes.
Just think about the premise objectively if you don't like blood: Different death animations for different attacks.
That's a pretty cool idea in itself.

#15 Artistic

Artistic

Warrior

• Members

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

I really wouldn't like to see gore in a Zelda quest. Instead of the color red for the blood use blue for the Octorocks because they are blue. Maybe it wouldn't be so shocking. icon_eek.gif

Edited by Artistic, 22 July 2012 - 01:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users