Roc's Feather to jump over stuff

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Zerro

Zerro

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:15 PM

So I was thinking about adding the Roc's Feather to my quest to use as a key item to progress with the plot. When I tried to test it out with 1xWide water tiles and trees, even though Link was in the air, he still treated the tile as unwalkable and he wouldn't pass. I don't mind too much about the tree but it's stuff like water that I want him to get past.

I plan on setting up my final dungeons with lava traps, spikes, water, and pitfalls(warps that teleport the player to a passageway, floor below, or outside) and I want the player to have to use the Roc's Feather to get by some of these obsticles without having to use the ladder. I was wondering if there's something I need to do in the rules, screen data, or item properties to make this work.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

#2 Isdrakthül

Isdrakthül

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

You would need a script to ignore walkability while in the air. What you can do is make the water walkable and use the "Link drowns in walkable water" quest rule.

#3 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:20 PM

er, whoops. what he said ^

Edited by Majora, 03 September 2011 - 10:20 PM.

#4 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:30 PM

I worked on such a script earlier. You can check it out on the database. It only applies to select combos, so you can make walls you can't jump over, too.

Edited by MoscowModder, 03 September 2011 - 10:31 PM.

#5 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:35 AM

QUOTE(Zerro @ Sep 3 2011, 08:15 PM) View Post
I plan on setting up my final dungeons with lava traps, spikes, water, and pitfalls(warps that teleport the player to a passageway, floor below, or outside) and I want the player to have to use the Roc's Feather to get by some of these obsticles without having to use the ladder. I was wondering if there's something I need to do in the rules, screen data, or item properties to make this work.

The primary use of the Roc's Feather (without scripting) is to ignore the combo properties of walkable combos that you jump over. So if the obstacle in question is walkable, it's very easy to create a screen where the Roc's Feather is necessary. Here are a few examples:

1. Lava traps - just make them walkable damage combos. Link will have to jump to get over them. They won't impede his progress besides damaging him, though. If you want Link to behave the way he does when he falls into lava in the later Zelda games (reappearing at the entrance with one less heart), I think what you're supposed to do is make your lava trap from "bottomless pit" combos.

2. Spikes - simple walkable damage combos. Same as lava traps, really, except to make Link reappear at the entrance you'll be forced to have the "bottomless pit" animation.

3. Water - turn on the quest rule "Link drowns in walkable water" and make all (or most) of your water unwalkable. This method is best used with Z3-style diagonal movement enabled for Link.

4. Pitfalls - these are just simple warp combos. Whether you want to make the combos Stairs, Direct Warps, or Sensitive Warps depends on the warp behavior you want. If you have questions about these warp types, let us know.

All-in-all: water, bottomless pits, and warps are the best obstacles to use for concretely obstructing Link's path without the Roc's Feather. If you merely want to make it difficult to advance without the Roc's Feather, damage combos are good for that. icon_smile.gif (You can also make sure that the damage combos are dangerous enough to kill Link before he gets across them, but that would require some fine-tuning to work properly, unless the damage combos are so high-damage that they are practically insta-kill)

#6 King Harkinian

King Harkinian

This site is still a thing?

• Members

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:49 AM

I like this idea, and a modified version of a script that does it I believe could be used to create gbc zelda raising and lowering blocks, since you be walking on top of solid combos, and might need to jump over gaps in between blocks. I like the idea of using Roc's Feather to jump over certain solid combos, but it would have to not allow you to jump on walls, and jump through really tall solid objects, that are big enough that it looks you are jumping through it. I'd say maybe to fix this, someone should incorporate using a flag to set what solid combos you can jump through, and the ones that don't have a flag are impossible to jump over.

#7 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE(King Harkinian @ Sep 4 2011, 03:49 AM) View Post
I like this idea, and a modified version of a script that does it I believe could be used to create gbc zelda raising and lowering blocks, since you be walking on top of solid combos, and might need to jump over gaps in between blocks. I like the idea of using Roc's Feather to jump over certain solid combos, but it would have to not allow you to jump on walls, and jump through really tall solid objects, that are big enough that it looks you are jumping through it. I'd say maybe to fix this, someone should incorporate using a flag to set what solid combos you can jump through, and the ones that don't have a flag are impossible to jump over.

Hmmmm. How would the Roc's Feather be important to the GBC-style raising and lowering pegs? You couldn't jump on top of those pegs in Link's Awakening. Was it possible in GBC?

I'm not saying it's impossible with scripting, I'm just not sure how you're suggesting the Roc's Feather would play into it. Although I will say that your idea is considerably more complicated than what Zerro has said he wants to do. Going by his exact wording -- he said that he wants lava traps, spikes, water, and pitfall warps -- Zerro can accomplish what he wants to do entirely without scripting. Scripting would only be necessary if he wanted something fancy that goes beyond his initial intentions.

#8 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Sep 4 2011, 06:07 AM) View Post

Hmmmm. How would the Roc's Feather be important to the GBC-style raising and lowering pegs? You couldn't jump on top of those pegs in Link's Awakening. Was it possible in GBC?

I'm not saying it's impossible with scripting, I'm just not sure how you're suggesting the Roc's Feather would play into it. Although I will say that your idea is considerably more complicated than what Zerro has said he wants to do. Going by his exact wording -- he said that he wants lava traps, spikes, water, and pitfall warps -- Zerro can accomplish what he wants to do entirely without scripting. Scripting would only be necessary if he wanted something fancy that goes beyond his initial intentions.

Well, in one of the oracle games, (Don't know which one off the top of my head), but in one of the dungeons there, one of the overall dungeon puzzles with the switchable blocks literally requires you to walk on top of a bunch of them, including jumping gaps between blocks.

#9 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:02 AM

If you are standing on one when it rises, you can walk along a row of them.

#10 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:27 PM

There's also a bug atm in RC2 with the Link drowns in Walkable Water and the Ladder in the inventory, where the Ladder will appear on some DMaps when Link scrolls south, so Link can't go right or left for that room if it's tight. So, I would suggest replacing the Ladder if it isn't used already with the feather, or try to avoid using the walkable water. (The Ladder and Feather both do basically the same thing anyhow)

In any case, there's a ton you can do with the feather, moving traps are also great to use with the feather, I used them quite a bit in my first quest that I gave up on and plan to later on in my second quest.

The only downside with the feather, is that it can be a bit broken in terms of power. I found that out in my first quest that it made the dungeons a little too easy. And made the moving traps not threatening at all after you get it, unless set up specifically for the feather. icon_sweat.gif

#11 Larre

Larre

DJ Larretronix

• Members

Posted 16 August 2015 - 03:21 PM

Hi guys, Apologizes for the topic bumping, but this topic is very relevant to what I am seeking right now. I am currently creating a direct warp that should be only accessable via the Roc's Feather. For that to happen I need to create some non-walkable barriers that through a script the walkability would be ignored when Link is in the air. I tried the script that was posted here but would not compile possibly due to the newer version of ZQuest that I have. Any ideas? and thanks. :slycool:

#12 Lejes

Lejes

Seeker of Runes

• Members

Posted 16 August 2015 - 03:53 PM

It's not due to your version of ZQuest. Post a screenshot of the error it gives.

#13 Larre

Larre

DJ Larretronix

• Members

Posted 16 August 2015 - 04:10 PM

ScriptError_zpsbr1nhxqn.jpg

ok, hoprfully this works. Also it may be in the way that the script is compiling as well. it is a FFC script so I just imported it as a ASM FFC script.

Edited by Larre, 16 August 2015 - 04:16 PM.

#14 Larre

Larre

DJ Larretronix

• Members

Posted 16 August 2015 - 04:36 PM

ZScript%20Error_zpsrhwbdi5r.jpg

And here is a screenshot of the error when compiling it in the ZScript Compiler.

#15 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 16 August 2015 - 04:40 PM

Changing the "else if(Link->Z X;" line to " else if(Link->Z == X)" should make it compile. Also, for future reference, very few scripts are ZASM, so you'll likely only ever need to compile ZScript's in the ZScript compiler.

Edit: I am not quite sure why it would check if Link's Z is equal to Link's X, but if that does some wonky things, try changing the line to:

else if(Link->Z)

Edited by Coolgamer012345, 16 August 2015 - 04:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users