Why is Farore's wind useless?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:48 PM

Use magic to do the same thing F6 does? Not very likely. If it were like OOT at least create a return warp point, or do something new and allow it to trigger an automatic warp. Therefore making it necessary to use in some aspects. The only reason this thing is in my quest is just being a collectable. I'm certain many would agree.
  • HavoX likes this

#2 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:53 PM

It doesn't reset enemy's like continuing or restarting does if I am correct.

Scratch that, it was probably added for another reason. Maybe it was added to make things even, if you had dins fire and nayrus love without farores wind i think it would look odd. Probably also hasn't been updated.

Edited by Franky, 15 June 2011 - 04:07 PM.

#3 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:15 PM

Farore's wind take you to the entrance of the current dungeon/ cave/ etc.

#4 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE(Ica44 @ Jun 15 2011, 02:15 PM) View Post

Farore's wind take you to the entrance of the current dungeon/ cave/ etc.
Both continue and farores wind take you to the same place pretty much.

#5 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:19 AM

Not exactly the case with 2.5.

Faore's Wind sends Link to the Contine screen on the DMap, the screen marked with the green spot in the DMap editor. F6->Continue or Game Over->Continue does the same thing OR sends Link to the last screen marked with "Continue here" in the Screen->Data dialouge.

Faore's Wind becomes a problem in dungeons or cave systems that use multiple exits as they all have one common exit as far as the DMap is concerned and will always take Link to that spot on the DMap. A workaround for this involves tediously making DMaps for each exit, with the Continue square being placed on the screen with the exit of each DMap. Faore's Wind also becomes a problem with Multi-DMap overworlds, where Faore's Wind takes you to one spefific spot on the DMap, which could be outside of the DMap's range. This problem can't be curcumvented by a DMap for each connection to the DMaps if you have many points where they converge on the Overworld. If you are in this scenario, you can work around this problem by creating a "Warp Screen" on each DMap, where Faore's Wind will take you if you use it. This problem is why I disabled the use of Faore's Wind on the overworld in Platinum Quest.

#6 Rastael

Rastael

• Members

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

I only use Dins Fire and Nayrus Love in my quest, because I think too that Farores Wind is useless.
Maybe someone can update Farores Wind by scripting?

#7 Rex-Leviathan

Rex-Leviathan

Lost, Loneliness, Liberation!

• Members

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

What else could Farore's Wind be used for? In Ocarina of Time, all it did was warp you to the dungeon entrance, and that's all it does in ZC, too. So what point is there to script a second use of Farore's Wind, if there really isn't anything else it could do. But I overlook things. Someone, please prove me wrong!

#8 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE(mamavader @ Jun 17 2011, 04:14 PM) View Post

What else could Farore's Wind be used for? In Ocarina of Time, all it did was warp you to the dungeon entrance, and that's all it does in ZC, too. So what point is there to script a second use of Farore's Wind, if there really isn't anything else it could do. But I overlook things. Someone, please prove me wrong!

Unless there was a way to get return locations that are only activated by Farore's Wind, and not through Continue, Save, or Wallmasters.

#9 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Jun 17 2011, 04:00 PM) View Post

Unless there was a way to get return locations that are only activated by Farore's Wind, and not through Continue, Save, or Wallmasters.

If it were made similar to LTTP's Mirror outside of dungeons, it'd be useful. Like the first time you use it, it warps you to the start and leaves the sparkling warp point, using it again would return you to sparkling warp point.

The only downside is if someone used it on an area for one time use and could mess around where the questmaker didn't intend for them to. Another option would be is a Room Type that could be created that only the FW could warp to.

In any case, I have it in my quest and I do use it when I play, so I don't really mind it too much.

#10 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:30 PM

In some quests like Orin's where F6->Continue is disabled, Farore's Wind is very useful. Too bad as far as I know, Orin doesn't use it. icon_razz.gif
  • HavoX likes this

#11 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE(mamavader @ Jun 17 2011, 04:44 PM) View Post

Not true! The purpose if Farore's wind in Orcarina of time served as a "save state" for that game. Some players would only play for 10 or 15 minutes. Or on other cases, if you have an emergency, you could just Use Farore's wind to warp to the beginning of the dungeon, than save and quit. When you return to the game, you use Farore's wind to return to the room where you left off.

And THAT is the purpose of Farore's wind in OOT. It seems most of us didn't understand that purpose.

• Binx likes this

#12 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:02 PM

With scripting, FW could be turned into a spell that pushes back all the enemies in the room.

#13 Rex-Leviathan

Rex-Leviathan

Lost, Loneliness, Liberation!

• Members

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE(NewJourneysFire @ Jun 18 2011, 07:59 PM) View Post

Not true! The purpose if Farore's wind in Orcarina of time served as a "save state" for that game. Some players would only play for 10 or 15 minutes. Or on other cases, if you have an emergency, you could just Use Farore's wind to warp to the beginning of the dungeon, than save and quit. When you return to the game, you use Farore's wind to return to the room where you left off.

And THAT is the purpose of Farore's wind in OOT. It seems most of us didn't understand that purpose.

I would have remembered that, had I have even played OoT in a while. Or gotten Farore's Wind on my second time through. Like I said: Someone, please prove me wrong!

#14 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE(ZeldaDungeon.net)
This spell can only be used within dungeons that have a dungeon map. It allows you to create a warp point wherever you wish, then teleport to it later on, or move your warp point elsewhere. Useful for areas where you don't want to fall down several floors or wish to return to the main room of the dungeon, or to continually make warp points as a way to mark your path and highlight areas you wish to return to later.

Honestly, I think scirpting something like this could make Farore's Wind much more useful. Especially in ZC. Once I get some other stuff done that I said I would, I'll see about replicating this. It doesn't sound too difficult, honestly.

#15 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:25 AM

Schwa attempted something simular to that, the Baton of Estera, and it crashed ZC. I'm saying that you should be careful when doing that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users