A question on screen state carryover

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:53 PM

It seems your questions have been answered so far, but I felt I might offer some details about each of the carryover elements.

Secrets - If a permanent secret is triggered on the current screen, it is triggered on the carryover screen, too.
Item - If the assigned item is taken from the current screen, it disappears from the carryover screen, too.
Item - If the special item is taken from the current screen, it disappears from the carryover screen, too.
Lock Block - If the current screen's lock block is unlocked, all lock blocks will be unlocked on the carryover screen, too.
Boss Lock Block - If the current screen's boss lock block is unlocked, all boss lock blocks will be unlocked on the carryover screen, too.
Chest - If the current screen's treasure chest is opened, all treasure chests will be open on the carryover screen, too.
Locked Chest - If the current screen's locked treasure chest is opened, all locked treasure chests will be open on the carryover screen, too.
Boss Locked Chest - If the current screen's boss locked treasure chest is opened, all boss locked treasure chests will be open on the carryover screen, too.

Door - One for each direction. The door's status will be mimicked on the carryover screen, whatever it may be. These can't be disabled, but they only matter if you're using the old-fashioned "Doors" template tool.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think "No Reset" is functional even if you're not using screen carryover functions to affect multiple screens. Is that the case? I haven't tried to use it yet. Does "Reset" refer to automatic reset, such as seen on some DMap types, or does it only protect that element from the effects of the "Reset Room" combo type?

#17 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:54 AM

Erm... People... Last time I checked roomstate carry overs can't be linked... If you set the RSCO in screen A and point it to screen B, then set the RSCO in screen B and point it to screen C, then... if you trigger the secrets in screen A, then it carries over only to screen B. Screen C gets affected only if you trigger the secrets directly in screen B.

Majora tried it very long ago. I really don't think it was changed by then...

#18 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:04 PM

CastChaos: I think you also need to link screen C to screen A. I haven't tried it yet, though.
Russ: Thanks.

#19 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:33 PM

Okay, thanks! icon_wink.gif Don't post anything if I'm correct, but if I'm wrong, then tell me: So if you leave the disable boxes blank then all of those will work. If you don't want lets say, items to carry over then you disable items. I know I'm an idiot. icon_whap.gif

Edited by ZebraStallion, 23 April 2008 - 04:33 PM.

#20 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Apr 23 2008, 12:54 AM) View Post

Erm... People... Last time I checked roomstate carry overs can't be linked... If you set the RSCO in screen A and point it to screen B, then set the RSCO in screen B and point it to screen C, then... if you trigger the secrets in screen A, then it carries over only to screen B. Screen C gets affected only if you trigger the secrets directly in screen B.

Majora tried it very long ago. I really don't think it was changed by then...

I am 100% sure it works in version 2.5 beta 15. I haven't tried it in later versions, but it's quite clear that the developers intend to have it as a standard feature.

If you don't believe me, well, I've designed an entire dungeon based on long chains of room state carryover. And it works, even when some of the screens are chained in a circle...

QUOTE(Pheonix @ Apr 23 2008, 12:04 PM) View Post
CastChaos: I think you also need to link screen C to screen A. I haven't tried it yet, though.

Yes, exactly. What Phoenix said.

P.S. -

Here's a diagram for linking three screens:

A --> B
B --> C
C --> A

If they're looped like this, it doesn't matter which room triggers the change. Warning: be careful not to cause a room to point to itself. This will cause the ZC player to freeze once it tries to activate the carryover.

#21 Xiion

Xiion

Senior

• Members

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:25 PM

I have a question: Can you tier room state carryovers? For instance, could you have A->B then have C->B's second tier?

#22 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:56 AM

No, because tiered secrets aren't permanent.

#23 Xiion

Xiion

Senior

• Members

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:46 PM

Ahh, gotcha. I can live with that, I suppose...

It'd be really cool if you could though... oh well...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users