Metroid: Origins LP- by Melee Wizard

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:17 AM

This is an LP of my quest; Metroid: Origins. It is being done by Melee Wizard at my request.

Background information- This quest was created as part of the one-month Winter Video Game Crossover contest, hosted by ZoriaRPG in January 2016. The objective of the contest was to create a quest with a setting that was outside the normal Zelda universe, though it could include them also.

At the time of its initial release in February 2016, there were numerous bugs due to a complete lack of testing during the design process. Over the next 6 months, many refinements were made before it was officially released in August 2016.

In the fall of 2016 it was featured in the PureZC expo. At that time, a number of other bugs were revealed. In the time since then, the quest has been updated over 200 times and has reached the third version of its development.

Description- This is styled as a direct sequel to Metroid: Fusion. Players take on the role of Samus, who discovered a previously unexplored planet with direct ties to the Chozo and a number of secrets buried within. The quest features fully scripted abilities, attacks, subscreen, map and enemies.

The quest is the size of 4 overworlds (16 x 8 each) and contains 120 items. There are also a large number of custom bosses, including many from Super Metroid and Metroid: Fusion. It can be completed with 100 percent in less than 4 hours.

Part 1- Getting Our Feet Wet

https://www.youtube....h?v=BN7gyIIzOYg

Part 2- Guided Development

https://www.youtube....h?v=aQA47bOn1-U

Further parts will be added to this topic as they are released.

Edited by ywkls, 15 February 2018 - 05:13 PM.

• judasrising likes this

#2 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:28 PM

Part 3- The Ties That Bind Us

https://www.youtube....h?v=Hf7wOx_CC18

Some explanatory notes on the mechanics in this section. The Atomizer started life as a Hammer in a top-down version of this quest that was made back before Sideview Gravity was a thing. I liked the idea and decided to keep it because the name sounded cool. (Nowadays it works more like a boomerang that doesn't return, though that isn't what it actually is.)

Having the Atomizer be stronger than your normal weapon wasn't something that was intentional, but I left it in because of its usefullness against some of the game's harder bosses. it's appearance, along with the look of the blocks it destroys; has undergone a few changes during the quest's lifespan.

The Quantum Key was an addition to the most recent version of the quest, whenever I went over to the fully scripted versions of the Varia Suit and Gravity Suit. (Previously, the Varia Suit blocked heat but didn't reduce damage.) I wanted to add an additional area to the quest, but have it where that reaching it required an item that you picked up in the game. This was the answer that I came up with.

The only other thing I think deserves a comment at this point is the Kraid AI. Getting it to react to Missiles as well as shots would be possible, though I feel that leaving it as it is feels more consistent. Making the Charged shots affect it isn't really possible without severely altering one or more of the scripts involved and feels pointless to me.

Edited by ywkls, 15 February 2018 - 05:30 PM.

• judasrising likes this

#3 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:24 PM

Part 4- Losing Our Way

https://www.youtube....h?v=PUQrQ6p6yDg

I should note that there are actually two paths one could take at this point in the quest. You could take the official route, or endure a Varia Suit-less run to get a few more major items which would in turn unlock other stuff.

This is by far the most significant sequence break in the entire game and it is even conceivable that one might finish the whole game without the Varia Suit at all; except for one boss in a hot room that's required.

The entire endeavor becomes much more non-linear at this point, so it isn't much of a surprise to me that this happened either.

• judasrising likes this

#4 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:00 AM

Part 5- We Have The Technology...

https://www.youtube....h?v=B8yeqs4V1OI

Whenever I decided to increase this quest's length back at the end of last year, the first challenge that I was presented with was how to make it where you could reach it and still have it be not directly connected with the rest of the game. As a result, these portals were born.

This also resulted in the relocation of a number of items, as we've seen.

I should also explain that boss selection and the naming of areas is somewhat arbitrary.

The flame jets seen on the Dark Side (my official name for the cold area) are designed to pretty much destroy you, to block progress. I suppose it might be barely possible to get past, but I doubt it.

As for the grapple beam being somewhat janky, I blame that Moosh fellow. I'm sure he was involved somehow...  :bounce:

• judasrising likes this

#5 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:24 PM

Part 6- Faster! We Must Go Faster!

https://www.youtube....h?v=iXvYOKub7bw

Fun fact: That shine spark path to the 2nd portal to the Dark Side was originally an optional way to get an early energy tank. However, whenever I expanded the quest I decided to make it a requirement.

Also, I should have made the place you are supposed to go after beating the Alpha Skree more obvious; since it was in a different part of the world entirely and easy to forget.

Still no game-breaking bugs, so I guess that's a plus?

At least you seem to have picked up on how to do a shine spark on your own. The two places you had trouble with it are the only ones which exist in the game where it's sort of required. (The second is optional, since it's possible to shine spark from the 1st entrance to the Dark Side into that area.)

• judasrising likes this

#6 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:05 PM

Part 7- So Close and Yet, So Far...

https://www.youtube....h?v=3gvbxpmW6wY

First, to address the issue with Crocomire. He's actually an amalgam of several different enemies working in concert with one another. The control of when he becomes vulnerable is tied into his attack animation. However, the part when he's slightly offscreen seems to be messed up somehow where he can't be hit. I'm not sure why (unless the hitbox of the enemy in question is also offscreen).

Second, the Hyper Grip is one of those things I'm almost sorry that I made.
I wanted to delay the acquisition of the Space Jump as long as possible and tried to make a method where you could basically infinitely Wall Jump (as MeleeWizard pointed out). However, every version that I've constructed has been too prone to getting stuck on walls. This is the easiest to use and retains the feature to turn it on and off. (Which I have now added to the item description.)

Lastly, the thing to do with that Metroid Pupa. I sort of shoehorned in all the upgrades for the Metroid after I added it. The entire mechanic is somewhat forced and doesn't really contribute a lot to the experience. (I kept expecting players to use it as often as they could, to clear out enemies.) But, if I were to remove it now; then I'd have to replace it with something else.

Hopefully, the sequel to this will be vastly improved.

Edited by ywkls, 03 March 2018 - 03:36 PM.

• judasrising likes this

#7 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 25 February 2018 - 05:50 PM

Part 8- The Sequence, It is Broken...

https://www.youtube....h?v=U0WmMYt13Z4

So, the Phase Nexus is an idea that was lifted nearly completely from Zodiac. (If it looks a bit familiar, it's because I adapted a ladder sprite for my own purposes.) It was originally in the Xenotech Cache found in this episode; but I moved it when I expanded the quest.

Also... not very many people have pulled off the exploit MeleeWizard uses in this part. (I haven't.) This is a way to get a few items early and make others less of a significant factor. That is, if he remembers where to go...

The general ease with bosses is one reason that some of my testers requested a "Hard Mode". These options double enemy HP and the amount of damage all foes and projectiles do. I've not tested those alterations myself, because I'm not that crazy.

I'm very proud of how well the Power Bombs turned out. My only complaint with them (and the X-Ray) is that I haven't got them to affect higher layered combos yet. But I will, eventually.

Lastly, Botwoon is probably the most complex boss in this entire quest. I'm still a bit mad I wasn't able to get his head animation to always behave itself, though.

• judasrising likes this

#8 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:23 AM

Yeah, I remember giving this a shot a while back.  But the bosses were too easy to the point where I can easily beat them on the first try.  So I quit because it was too easy.

My suggestion is that you don't make a hard mode that is untested and just does a cheap buff like doubling damage and boss HP.  If you don't test it, then how will you know whether or not one of your bosses becomes impossible?  Simply say that there is no hard mode and if you choose to play my quest then it is easy because I like easy.

If you are going to make a hard mode, then do a proper hard mode with a true buff like extra attack modes, altered and smarter enemy behaviour etc...  But I can understand that as a free quest maker there simply isn't the resources to do this kind of thing.  After all, easy mode works, you love it, its your masterpiece, why should you care about what anyone else wants especially if what they are asking for will take a lot of time to do?

#9 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:29 AM

@James24- I don't make things hard, period. Sorry if that's not to your liking.

Onwards....

Part 9- Power! Absolute Power!

https://www.youtube....h?v=F2Oko7cv2FY

So, this part suffers from an apparent flaw in my design. The ice beam should have been a requirement, but wasn't.

I'll probably have to either make a new boss, or rewrite that one to fix it.

On the giant spider, it isn't obvious; but the clue outside is supposed to indicate that you need Spazer to beat it.

There were thoughts on making a boss that required plasma beam, but I decided against it.

Hmm... a hole in the ceiling? I wonder what that could mean?

(Also, nice to see the X-Ray visor not only working; but being used in creative ways!)

I'm not sure what the shortest time this quest has been completed in is,

but if you know where the secrets are then you can reach the end with everything in 4 hours.

MeleeWizard is over that mark now, which means that the 5 second alternative ending won't play.

(It was just Zero Suit Samus, anyways.)

Only two major hurdles left to cross before the conclusion. I wonder how many more parts there will be?

• judasrising likes this

#10 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:36 PM

I never asked you to make things hard

#11 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:41 PM

Part 10- Boss Rush Time!

https://www.youtube....h?v=YjCc-RM7h-c

There was simply no way I was going to be able to fill up all of the space left on the Dark Side with more upgrades; mostly because I had run out of room on the subscreen. So, instead; I made a whole slew of bosses.

To those who haven't played this to death (you know who you are) the Computer Core has a second weakness.

While blue, it is weak to Super Missiles. So now you know.

The end is definitely in sight. All of the remaining items save one are optional.

There's still a lot of upgrades to be had, along with a couple of items that boost your ability to survive.

Once the LP is done, I'll discuss the stuff that was missed in greater detail.

• judasrising likes this

#12 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:40 PM

Part 11- (Final)- All Good Things... Must Be Blown Up?

https://www.youtube....h?v=XxSUtNAqC3Q

For those who were wondering what was missed, besides upgrades; there were two major items not obtained.

Both were in the same place, a secret area between the middle and lower zones accessible via Power Bombs.

They were the Regenerator (restores HP over time) and Hyper Suit (further reduces damage).

I don't think MeleeWizard really needed them, but they exist.

Lastly, the game does have a slightly different ending under certain circumstances.

First, you have to not die. (MeleeWizard did that.)

Second, you have to get 100 percent of items.

Third, you have to get to the end in under 4 hours by the in-game clock.

Do all these and after the readout of your stats, Samus will appear in the Zero Suit and a message will play.

The message? 

To Be Continued...

• judasrising likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users