ZC

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#16 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:43 PM

Pix always prepares himself!  The guy does his ZC HW all the time.  He MAPS out everything from every game he's ever done!  xD

Lol, doing excel maps of these quests isn't exactly fun to do, especially with longer quests.  Though it does help with remembering stuff later on.  Obviously not necessary to do any of this, but given I tend to forget a lot of stuff, this help jar my memory if I overlook something

• Lightwulf likes this

#17 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:15 AM

Pix always prepares himself!  The guy does his ZC HW all the time.  He MAPS out everything from every game he's ever done!  xD

Really?  Wow!  :wow:  That's quite impressive!

I was wondering what he was doing during the pauses of game play.  That explains it!  :D  Great idea!

@pixcalibur:  Yeah, I can imagine it would be a lot of work.  I guess it's worth it, though.  It would probably help me if I did that, too, so I don't forget to revisit a room and can better keep track of rooms I've been in (if the minimap in the active subscreen doesn't do a good job because of DMap differences; I was playing a quest recently and it had blue/red switches, so it was difficult to tell how much I'd been in because each switch had its own DMap).

Just curious: Do you just make cells for each room and then type in what's there, or do you make a small picture of the room to put in each cell?

#18 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:21 AM

Really?  Wow!  :wow:  That's quite impressive!

I was wondering what he was doing during the pauses of game play.  That explains it!   :D  Great idea!

@pixcalibur:  Yeah, I can imagine it would be a lot of work.  I guess it's worth it, though.  It would probably help me if I did that, too, so I don't forget to revisit a room and can better keep track of rooms I've been in (if the minimap in the active subscreen doesn't do a good job because of DMap differences; I was playing a quest recently and it had blue/red switches, so it was difficult to tell how much I'd been in because each switch had its own DMap).

Just curious: Do you just make cells for each room and then type in what's there, or do you make a small picture of the room to put in each cell?

Well, you don't really see much of a pause in play.  If so, that's just me peeking at my map to make sure I didn't miss anything major, but usually I peek at the map only when needed.

I usually use one room/screen per cell, using various symbols to notate doors and stuff

• Lightwulf likes this

#19 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:23 PM

Part 6 - We start off level 6, really only need the hookshot to do further exploring to get more goodies.  We'll come back later on to finish things off here

• Lightwulf likes this

#20 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:35 PM

Part 7 - Level 7 is important given the two items you get in this place, both of which will help with exploration.  Having the red ring will help a bit in this place.  And note you want to come back here after getting certain future items

• Lightwulf likes this

#21 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:43 PM

Part 6:

• Music - Correct!  DKC2's Black Ice Battle is the theme of the Ice Palace.
  • Blue Lanmola Room - FYI, I originally had Manhandlas here.
  • Goriya Room - Hopefully you won't miss the room this time!  Most people used to miss this, so I added the appearing bomb item to make it less likely to miss.
  • Keys - One of these rooms I modeled after a similar room in LttP in the ice dungeon.  There's a key similarly hid in LttP, as I recall.
  • Not Completed? - Skipping beating level 6?  Blasphemy!  :evil:  (Just kidding.  :XD:)  Well, if you want to, I guess you can.  However, you could've gone to get the gauntlets before going to level 7...
  • Gorblin Passageway - The flames are halfway-walkable, so only the part you can walk on hurts you.
  • Blue Mage Zephyr - :doh: When he says "Warrior Island", he actually means "Gorblin Island".  I forgot to update that when I changed the name.  Also, FYI, he's one of the PureZC cameo characters for Zephyr_Eevee (now known as Nexas).
  • Magic Octoroks - You can also use the boomerang or hookshot to stun them while you defeat them.  Also, using Sword beams when they're on the other side of some bushes works, too; I do that a lot.
  • Gorblins - Yep.  Goriya + Moblin = Gorblin!  I had to come up with a name for what the island is shaped like, so that's what I figured.  You can expect, in the DX version, actual Gorblin enemies to battle.

I'm outta' time.  Catch ya' later! :)

#22 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:49 PM

Part 6:

• Music - Correct!  DKC2's Black Ice Battle is the theme of the Ice Palace.
  • Blue Lanmola Room - FYI, I originally had Manhandlas here.
  • Goriya Room - Hopefully you won't miss the room this time!  Most people used to miss this, so I added the appearing bomb item to make it less likely to miss.
  • Keys - One of these rooms I modeled after a similar room in LttP in the ice dungeon.  There's a key similarly hid in LttP, as I recall.
  • Not Completed? - Skipping beating level 6?  Blasphemy!  :evil:  (Just kidding.  :XD:)  Well, if you want to, I guess you can.  However, you could've gone to get the gauntlets before going to level 7...
  • Gorblin Passageway - The flames are halfway-walkable, so only the part you can walk on hurts you.
  • Blue Mage Zephyr - :doh: When he says "Warrior Island", he actually means "Gorblin Island".  I forgot to update that when I changed the name.  Also, FYI, he's one of the PureZC cameo characters for Zephyr_Eevee (now known as Nexas).
  • Magic Octoroks - You can also use the boomerang or hookshot to stun them while you defeat them.  Also, using Sword beams when they're on the other side of some bushes works, too; I do that a lot.
  • Gorblins - Yep.  Goriya + Moblin = Gorblin!  I had to come up with a name for what the island is shaped like, so that's what I figured.  You can expect, in the DX version, actual Gorblin enemies to battle.

I'm outta' time.  Catch ya' later! :)

Yep, only wanted the hookshot for now.  I'm kinda big on skipping around, so no exception here.  And yes, I will get the gauntlets in due time once I get a bit more freedom to explore.

Ok to stun one octorok.  Not fun if you get swarmed.  Thus, exploiting the edge of the screen.

• Lightwulf likes this

#23 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:52 AM

Part 8 - Now that we can swim, there's a lot of stuff to explore.  Watch the heart pieces pour in, along with a few other upgrades.

• Lightwulf likes this

#24 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:01 PM

Part 9 - This dungeon is certainly a good replica of the original one.  Knowing the original will make this place easier to explore

• Lightwulf likes this

#25 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:41 PM

Part 7:

• Music - Yeah.  I chose the same music because I liked it so much!  I originally had the exact same midi for both levels 3 and 7, but later EddyTheOliveira led me to a better-sounding midi.  I liked that one, too, but I'd also grown fond of the previous one; so, I ended up keeping the original midi for level 7 and put the new midi in level 3.
  • Flashing Tiles - That's just for aesthetics; no other point to it than that.  It reminisces of that room in level 2 where you find the bow, how that there were 2 diamond shapes made of blocks instead of just one, only in this room there's a fireball-shooting statue that looks at you.
  • Compass Room - You're right; the block right in front of the compass triggers the secret stairs.  I figured no one would want to push a whole bunch of blocks to find a secret they didn't know about, so I made it unmissable if you get the compass.   ;)
  • Secret Room in Level 5 - When coming back to Level 7 from this room, be advised that ZC sets your return point as this room.  What this means is that, if you die afterwards without leaving the front entrance, you will respawn to this room.  That would come in handy if you died trying to get the Whistle (unless you really need a potion), but it can be annoying.  That's a big reason I added the shortcut back to the entrance in the upper-right corner.  As you can see, once you have the whistle, you can start using that warp.

Part 8:

• Forest Isle Cove - The bat only appears when you're not near the patch of land it appears on.  Kinda' weird thing with ZC 2.10; Keese/Bat enemies only spawn on open land even though they fly.
  • Facade Passageway - Why put a key there?  Why not? ;)  Seriously, though, this is one of the first caves I made in this quest.  It actually fits on the upper-left corner of the level 2 map.  To answer your question, because this was my first quest and I didn't see any problem with it.  Still, I'm not quite sure; are you saying it doesn't make sense for a key and lock block to occur in a cave like this?
  • Open Ocean - Circle of rocks?  I actually call those green things "reefs" since they're in the water.  Anyway, most of those things are there because you can only have one side warp in ZC version 2.10.  I might consider removing those in the DX version of the quest since ZC version 2.50 has four side warps... buuuuuut... maybe not since they match certain things in the Underworld...  We'll see that in later episodes.  The smiley face was just put there for fun, to see if you'd notice.  :slycool:
  • Jumping Fish - The jumping fish that's jumping from what looks like the eye of a fish made out of lighter water?  Yeah, it's jumping over a 5-rupee item.  I wouldn't pass it up unless my wallet was full.
  • Burn Bush/Tree at 26:02 - Yep.  Burn the small tree above the small rocks and you'll find Moblin Money.  It only has 10 rupees, so (I think) it's worth picking up when you find it.  (I call it a "small tree" because a "bush" is slashable.)
  • Rock in Middle of Water - Now, that one actually has 100 rupees under it.
  • Big Island Sewerways Music - Chrono Trigger is right!  It's from the sewers (go figure) in 2300 AD.

I don't have more time right now, so I'll continue part 9 later.  Nice job so far! :D

Edited by Lightwulf, 26 August 2015 - 05:39 PM.

#26 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:56 PM

Part 10 - Another big batch of exploration, picking up more goods along the way.  Need a couple little side detours before getting to level 8.

Nice for the old school Nintendo game music choices

Edited by pixcalibur, 26 August 2015 - 08:57 PM.

• Lightwulf likes this

#27 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:56 PM

Part 11 - Starting with the preliminary part of level 8.  Can do a bit of sequence breaking with the extra keys, though best to make sure to stay even on keys

• Lightwulf likes this

#28 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:18 PM

Part 12 - Now we can go back to clean up some earlier stuff, picking up a bunch of extra life in the process.  Collection is going nicely

• Lightwulf likes this

#29 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:03 PM

Part 13 - Making more progress through level 8 before taking another detour to pick up more goods.  May as well have it so that we don't waste extra money

• Lightwulf likes this

#30 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:27 PM

Part 14 - Now we can finish climbing up to the top of the lighthouse.  Yeah, this level wasn't exactly short, but not too difficult with some patience

• Lightwulf likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ZC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users