Photo

Screenshot of the Week 181

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 181 (69 member(s) have cast votes)

Contestants

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#46 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Oct 21 2007, 01:09 PM) View Post

You were here earlier than me but don't know the people here? *submits the two colour version of the LoZ starting screen (not really)*

Two colourness really ups winning chances, but the animation... Well, seems only me and might be a few others like animation. The ones voted for you voted only because it's two colour.

I wish I had something for next SotW. I mean I have one, but it has too big spoilers in it... icon_unsettled.gif

You think the 2-colouredness beats it out over the animation? How can you say that? The animation MAKES that shot! Without it it'd just be badly drawn tiles!

#47 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:32 PM

That's what I think, too. However, other's don't. Just read back how they hyped 2-colour and mentioned animating as a "spice" (not with this word).

I really hate minimalism, but love animation (unless when it's just waving). Seeing this 2 colour mania, I wish those times back when people were crazy about grayscale, me included.

#48 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Oct 21 2007, 02:32 PM) View Post

That's what I think, too. However, other's don't. Just read back how they hyped 2-colour and mentioned animating as a "spice" (not with this word).

I really hate minimalism, but love animation (unless when it's just waving). Seeing this 2 colour mania, I wish those times back when people were crazy about grayscale, me included.

*reads back* Umm... maybe you need to review this topic a little more carefully. icon_confused2.gif Zemious was the ONLY one that used "2-colour" as a reason for voting. Everybody else that commented found it funny and/or unique. The ones that DID comment on the shots 2-colourdness were, for the most part, expressing their distaste for it. Maybe it was your deep seeded hatred for two-colour clouding your judgement icon_razz.gif

#49 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:28 AM

Well, what do you think, those whos said it's "unique" and "different" was referring to what? icon_rolleyes.gif

Of course, there are clouds generated by my hatred, but they don't make any difference. Remember back when there were 2 colour non-animated screens and they won easily (or just got almost as many votes as the winnoer). Then there were animated coloured screens and people didn't even comment on the animation... besides one person... who of course was... me.

#50 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Oct 22 2007, 07:28 AM) View Post
Well, what do you think, those whos said it's "unique" and "different" was referring to what? icon_rolleyes.gif

... the animation. The whole "squiggle-vision" look of the shot, regardless of whether or not it's in colour.

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Oct 22 2007, 07:28 AM) View Post
Of course, there are clouds generated by my hatred, but they don't make any difference. Remember back when there were 2 colour non-animated screens and they won easily (or just got almost as many votes as the winnoer). Then there were animated coloured screens and people didn't even comment on the animation... besides one person... who of course was... me.

I don't remember that. What weeks were they? And which animated shots? I can't recall that many lately.

#51 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:38 AM

One animated screen that I never forget had a gameplay animation. It was nothing more or less than Link and the enemies moving/shooting. It's in the SotY if I remember well. Another was... I think by Ennonfenom. His screen had many animations (water, wind, NPC, etc.) and so he showed the animations as an animated gif instead of a stationary screenshot. I know there were more... but can't remember all... All I know is that the first months of SotW didn't have any animated submissions.

#52 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Oct 17 2007, 10:08 AM) View Post

There you have it folks, the secret to winning is to use only two colours, and make sure it's animated damn it!

Pretty much what NoeL said.

Also, make sure you screenshot shakes and rumbles.

#53 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:01 PM

So, err... not enough people for SotW 182?

#54 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:43 PM

Oh yes, Relic said that he won't ever again warn us. Maybe he doesn't realize that some people submit something only when he says that there aren't enough submissions? Doesn't count for me, I don't have a sure win screen. All I could submit is the slightly improved version of the latest screen in my QPF. icon_shrug.gif

#55 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:45 PM

Eh, sorry, but on 182 I'll pass once again. I'm just too busy with school right now!

However, I might have one for 183. Not a promise, though.

(Just a note, but SotM is wayyyyyy behind.)

#56 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:38 PM

Thought I'd reply to some of you who critiqued my shot since I procrastinated for a week to do this.

QUOTE(Plissken @ Oct 14 2007, 12:23 PM) View Post

Is that a custom palette? Don't recognize it at all.

Yep. There was no palette that suited a jungle environment so I did it from scratch. It took a long time.

QUOTE(DarkFlameWolf @ Oct 14 2007, 12:41 PM) View Post

Link75: My vote went here. It was the only decent shot this week with good eye flow and design. Great job, even if it wasn't the very best. You got my vote.

Design and fluency is my main focus. Though this isn't my best work, I put a lot of effort into the area. I'm glad to see this comment from you.

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Oct 14 2007, 01:42 PM) View Post

Link75 - While it lacks the uniqueness found in the last three screens, the overall design is excellent. Everything mends together well enough to result in a complete overworld screen that rivals many designed by some of the best quest makers. 7/10

Thanks for the more detailed comment. icon_smile.gif I have to agree that isn't not very unique, especially compared to NoeL, but I personally think my shot has the best design.

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Oct 15 2007, 03:02 AM) View Post

Link75: Very good gameplay screen, but the palette is... well... no. It's a closed area with a big lamp in it and the darkest brown hardly differs from the second darkest brown. In fact, it's like a bright transparent layer were put on it.

I'm not sure what you mean about the palette. Is it too bright? I actually made the picture brighter in photo shop because I thought it might be too dark for some to see. As for the brown, I also don't see this. The darkest brown is... really pretty dark and the second darkest is between the to shades.

#57 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:21 PM

I submitted a screen.

No SotW => CastChaos looks for the best screenhe has => CastChaos improves the best screen => Screen is submitted.

EDIT: Link75, maybe the photoshop brighting messed things up. As I said, yes,it's too bright. Artificial sun in closed place...

Edited by CastChaos, 23 October 2007 - 04:22 PM.

#58 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:50 PM

I submitted too. I hope its up soon.

#59 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:55 PM

I submitted just, is it too late now or what?

#60 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:26 PM

Sorry, guys. Monday only had two shots, total, so I'm going to suspend 182 until next sunday. That gives you an extra week to submit something

Currently I DO have enough shots, but starting it now wouldn't give proper time for the upcoming three contests

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users