Custom Level 9 Entrance

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Surreal Canine

Surreal Canine

Master of Disaster

• Members

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:48 PM

I'm in need of a script for a custom Level 9 Entrance. Actually, I need to make two.

For the first room (level 17), Link can't enter without the Triforce pieces from levels 1 through 16.

For the second (level 25), he can't enter without 24 Triforce pieces.

Can anybody make a good script for this?

#2 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:52 PM

Well how do you want it to work, exactly.

I can't remember how the one from Z1 runs completely.
And also, do you have 'messages dissapear' checked, and 'messages freeze all action' checked?

#3 Surreal Canine

Surreal Canine

Master of Disaster

• Members

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:03 PM

In the original Zelda, Link could enter Level 9 before he completed the others. The first room of Level 9 had a guy in it who blocked the top half of the screen and told you to find all of the Triforce pieces. But if you had all eight Triforce pieces, the guy wasn't there and Link could enter Level 9.

Here's how I want it to work. Link collects the first 8 Triforce pieces (the Triforce of Wisdom) as normal. and Level 9 is blocked like in Zelda 1. In levels 9 through 16, there's a second set of Triforce pieces (the Triforce of Courage). In the first room of Level 17, I want the guy to block the door until Link completes the Triforces of Wisdom and Courage (i.e., gets all 16 pieces). Then there's more Triforce pieces (the Triforce of Power) in levels 17 through 24. The guy in the first room of Level 25 blocks your way until link has all 24 Triforce pieces.

Understand what I'm asking now?

And why do I need "Messages disappear" and "Messages freeze all action" checked?

#4 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:19 PM

Right ok. So you want it to work exactly like that?

And I got the multiple triforces bit. Do you have room in your subscreen for that many?

You don't need those rules checked, but I'd need to know if you do.

#5 Surreal Canine

Surreal Canine

Master of Disaster

• Members

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:22 PM

a) Yes, I want it to work like that.
b) I have plenty of room for 24 Triforce pieces.
c) I don't have either rule checked.
OK?

#6 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:55 PM

Right ok. Well I'm willing to do this, but I'm very busy over the next few days, so if I do it won't be till monday or so.

#7 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(Silly Cat 2 @ Nov 15 2007, 05:22 PM) View Post

b) I have plenty of room for 24 Triforce pieces.

Problem is though, only 1-8 can appear on the subscreen.
Hope this gets a way to work though cause I had a great idea for a quest =(
  • Taco Chopper likes this

#8 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:23 PM

I'm pretty sure you can have more than 8 in the 2.11 builds.

#9 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:33 PM

Nah, I tried using 655.
1-8 were all that showed up

#10 Captain Magenta

Captain Magenta

Senior

• Members

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:44 AM

Even if this feature could be scripted or integrated into ZC, I think having twenty seven independent dungeons whether it be for Triforce fragments or other items is both way too repetitive and also would make the quest unnecessarily long and drawn out if these dungeons were the main objectives of the quest instead of something like they were in Lost Isle being diversionary dungeons. Rather than making the quest a long drawn out collect-a-thon, instead try using a storyline and plot devices to lengthen the quest and retain player interest; otherwise the player will simply get burned out and not finish the quest.....

#11 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:46 PM

Hrm. I might have a go at this now.

Hopefully it'll work the way I planned, and it'll be very easy to use. However this may not be the case, and you may have to use duplicate screens. That's ok, yes?

EDIT: Ah, I think you will need to use duplicate screens for this.
I was under the impression that you could kill the room's guy with 'Screen->ClearSprites();', and that it would then remove the string from the screen because you'd killed the guy, but apparently I was mistaken in thinking that.

Edited by Joe123, 20 November 2007 - 07:01 PM.

#12 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:13 AM

Why not simply reverse this. Make a script that removes 8 items from Link's inventory. Then, go collect them again.

#13 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:02 AM

Then you can't have all of the items in your inventory (well, I suppose you could use dummy ones), you'd have to use a duplicate screen on the first triforce room anyway, so that once you opened it and got them taken away you could reenter it, and any sequence breaking (intentional or otherwise) would be catastrophic to the player's progress.

#14 Surreal Canine

Surreal Canine

Master of Disaster

• Members

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:21 PM

Considering all of this, I decided to use dummy items instead. Joe123, can you make the script so that the level 17 room requires items in classes z067 through z074, and level 25 requires items in classes z075 through z082? Those are my dummy items.

Same things as before, no "Messages Disappear" and no "Messages freeze all action".

#15 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:19 PM

Item classes? What?
Do you mean Item ID numbers?
It has nothing to do with the itemclasses, just the ID numbers. You could make them all into boomerangs and it'd make no difference to the script.

This is still very much possible, but what'll have to happen is:
When you enter without the triforce, the message is played.
When you enter with the triforce, the script sees that you have it, then warps you instantly to a duplicate screen with no string. If thats ok?
I could change it around a little if you want it to happen when Link walks to the middle of the screen or so that it plays extra strings or whatever.

EDIT: Anyway, this should do what I said:
CODE
ffc script triforce2{
    void run(int map, int scr){
        Waitframes(2);
        if(
        Link->Item[??] &&  // fill in the '??'s with the item ID of each triforce piece.
        Link->Item[??] &&
        Link->Item[??] &&
        Link->Item[??] &&
        Link->Item[??] &&
        Link->Item[??] &&
        Link->Item[??] &&
        Link->Item[??] &&
        ){Link->PitWarp(map,scr);}        
    }
}

If you want anything else added to it, just ask.
Should work fine as is I think.

D0: The Dmap you're warping to
D1: The screen you're warping to. Screens are counted from 0-15 across the top row, 16-31 across the second row etc.

EDIT: I've just checked the item editor, I thought you might've been getting confused between itemclasses and item IDs, but apparently you weren't
Howcomes you gave them all itemclasses?
What is necessary of the items is:
They appear on the subscreen (so leaving them as 'Non-Gameplay Items' might not work, but it should do if you check 'equipment item')
They all have different item ID numbers (so you make them all into different items)
There's absolutely no need to give them different itemclasses.

The items themselves don't need to have any properties at all for the script to work. Although I assume you'd want them to warp Link and play the little tune like the real pieces do?
Looks like I might be scripting that too icon_razz.gif

Edited by Joe123, 21 November 2007 - 02:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users