Tutorial Forums

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:04 PM

You may notice a new forum category called "Tutorials" on the main board index just below "Zelda Classic". No, this is not a trick. It is real and growing.

For a long time there has been small talk about PureZC having their own tutorial section on the site. After months of planning and talking, we finally have it! While there are only a few tutorials in there at the moment, which some of our staff worked hard and long on creating, it is far from being complete and will always be a work in progress. You can't run out of tutorials for helping people work with Zelda Classic. While we do have forums already to get help on stuff and answer questions, what we have always lacked was an official and well organized knowledge base.

This has been a long time coming, but we need your voluntary help to make it cover a much larger ground, for this is never a small matter that can't be done by just a few people. The way it works is that there will be a place for anybody to voluntary offer a tutorial to submit to us. We have a tutorial staff whose job is to approve, edit, and place tutorials in the tutorial section. The creator of the tutorial will of course be listed in the tutorial so that proper credit is given. You can find the forum to submit just below the main Tutorials forum, or by clicking here. As for directions on how to submit a tutorial, please see the pinned topic on it found within that forum. You will also find a helpful and optional set of BBCode to use if you wish to give your tutorial a table of contents setup with links to portions of your post. This can be useful for long and detailed tutorials. Finally, there is a list of tutorials currently under review to let you know if your submitted tutorial is being worked on, since editing is done in a forum that you can't see.

With that being said, I would like to congratulate our new tutorial editors: rocksfan13, Koopa, Ebola Zaire, and Matthew! When anybody submits a tutorial, they will be the ones that look over them, approve them, and edit them for consistency among the other tutorials.

Within the Tutorials forum you will notice several subforums based on the type of tutorial. Most tutorials that cover the basic features of Zelda Classic will be placed in Basic Tutorials. Several such tutorials already exist in there, so check them out. The Tips and Tricks section is for tutorials that go beyond the basics by helping you be more creative in your quest building. External Tutorials involve using any program outside of ZC that can still be helpful to your quest and tile building process. Finally, there will be Scripting Tutorials for any help on that.

But enough talk from me: Go ahead and explore these forums to become familiar with how it all works and is set up. On a final note, I want to thank all the staff that have been involved in its creation, and most especially Koopa and rocksfan13! Their contributions have been the major driving force for getting it all started.

#2 Lune

Lune

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:30 PM

Yes! This will be very helpful for beginners AND veterans alike. I don't think I have anything to contribute to it, but I like the idea. We used to just have one topic with 5 or so tutorials...

#3 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:46 PM

Joe123 has also been hired as a tutorial editor, so congratulations to him! This also makes him a contributor.

#4 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:56 PM

Yes congrats to him.

Now, if anyone should have any questions feel free to either post in the discussion thread in the Tutorial Forum or PM any one of us.

That's it. Now submit, request, and talk away....

#5 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:30 PM

Wait, so can I make tutorials even if I'm not in the forum? If not, then could I apply to be involved in this forum? Here's a sample of one of my tutorials so far:

------------- = Screenshot that I haven't uploaded; I'll upload them in the final version

Screen Design Tutorial volume 1: Hyrule Field

A beginner's tutorial by ZebraStallion.

NOTE: THIS TUTORIAL IS FOR A FIELD-LIKE AREA. I'LL MAKE A MOUNTAIN AND FOREST EDITION
LATER.

First off, let me make this clear, this guide is used with the PTUX tileset, but some
tiles that are custom and I'd prefer you don't rip them. Thanks!
--------------
Take a look at that. What do you think of that screen? If your screens look like this,
then you really need this guide. Even if your screens are decent, but they're not
perfect, this guide may come in handy. The style I'm going to use for this screen is
the border style. A border lies across the center of the screen and on each side there
can be different terrain. A borderline can be a path, a river, or a cliff. It looks
really nice when it's finished.

Okay, look at the screen carefully. What do you think would serve as a good border line?
Duh, the path. Wait a second, why is that path strait all of the way accross the screen?
You should never have anything be completely strait, unless it's someone's garden or
something. So let me fix that:
--------------
Okay. First we're going to work on the top side of the path. In this case, it
needs to be the edge of a forest. Do you think that strait line of trees looks good?
Yeah, I didn't think so. What can be done to fix this? Well, first off, we need different
types of trees. Then, we can just put out random trees until it looks well balanced.
--------------
I also fixed the bushes. I replaced a couple of the bushes with stumps. You never want
bushes in a perfectly strait line of pattern. Now it's time to add ground details.
And make sure you don't go overboard:
--------------
See how bad that looks when there's too many things on the ground? Let's make it so it's
just right:
--------------
Perfect. Well anyways, see how that's done? It's balanced. Okay, now let's move to
the down side. In this case, we want one of the corners to be open. Don't just leave
the corner open though, put a walkable thing there to make it feel closed. No, not like this:
--------------
Lets put a grass patch there, and while we're at it, lets put some water at the lower
right corner.

And that's it for now.

Edited by ZebraStallion, 15 August 2008 - 09:30 PM.

#6 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:53 PM

Aye aye, ZS- anyone can submit a tutorial, the forum moderators that you see are simply the reviewing team. Once you post a tutorial in the Tutorial Submissions Forum, one of the review team will hide the tutorial and put it on the Workbench, where we'll iron out any concerns we have with the author before moving it to its permanent residence.

#7 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:52 AM

I've been looking forward for a while to this day. Let the show begin!

ZS, you're most welcome to submit it. That's precisely the sort of thing we're looking for.

A reminder for anyone wishing to submit a tutorial: You can just make a new topic in the submissions forum. Staff will review it from there, contact you if there's any changes or questions, then move it to the right place for you.

Also, don't worry about bbcode tags or formatting. You can just write away in plain text or aynthing else and we'll do the layout for you if you'd like.

Edited by Koopa, 16 August 2008 - 03:58 AM.

#8 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:02 AM

Ooh, I'm part of the team now too ^_^

So am I only allowed to help with reviewing the scripting tutorials, or can I work on other ones too?
Cause in the PM I got scripting was specified, but I have access to the other forums too?

I may be best known for my scripting, but I do know my stuff when it comes to some other areas too =)

#9 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:31 AM

Anything you can see in the workbench forum you're welcome to help with. The more the merrier.

#10 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:41 AM

Ah ok, thankyou.

#11 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:40 AM

@ Ebola / Koopa

Oh, that's good. Thanks!

#12 Akkabus

Akkabus

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:43 AM

are members allowed to post in this topic?:

http://www.purezc.co...showtopic=37157

if so, i'm unable to post due to permission problems.

IPB Image

Edited by Akkabus, 16 August 2008 - 11:54 AM.

#13 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:47 AM

You should.
Is anyone else seeing this problem?

#14 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 16 August 2008 - 12:06 PM

I got that error too! icon_thumbsdown.gif
I think someone might have accidentally set that topic to where only Staff can post in it... icon_unsettled.gif
EDIT: Never mind... I'm not getting this error anymore... icon_sigh.gif

Edited by Pokegamer1989, 16 August 2008 - 01:44 PM.

#15 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:43 PM

I can post in it. icon_unsettled.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users