Generic Fantasy Tileset

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:49 AM

I hope this is the right place for this...

So, I decided to make a completely original tileset for one of my quest projects (Since I had to re-sprite all the enemies and items, anyways, figured might as well just go the whole way, so far I've finished the mountains and trees, and most of the overworld objects) and it got me thinking, there should really be a generic tileset that doesn't use any characters/designs from any other games, just a basic fantasy tileset, compatible with the Z1 palette, with male and female characters built in I dunno, just in case someone at Nintendo gets a stick up their rear, or for people who want to make Zelda-style games, but want to go in a different direction. Unfortunately, the one I'm making wouldn't fit the bill, due to some of the choices for items and weapons and the music-based theme, but my terrain tiles would. So, what I'm wondering is A) if people would be interested in an easy-to use generic non-zelda 8-bit tileset containing completely redesigned item and enemy tiles and two sets of player characters and B) If anyone would be interested in helping me create said tileset... because I really stink at spriting people and monsters? I'll have some screenshots up of what I already have, just as soon as I finish the overworld tiles.

• strike, Lightwulf, Joelmacool and 2 others like this

#2 Aquamentus (Facing Right)

Aquamentus (Facing Right)

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:49 AM

Yes, please make this.

Edited by Aquamentus (Facing Right), 14 February 2019 - 04:59 AM.

• Lightwulf, Binx and SkyLizardGirl like this

#3 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:57 PM

That would be awesome if you made such a tileset. I would be interested in contributing a bit to it as well.

• Binx likes this

#4 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:40 PM

This is a fantastic idea! I'm definitely interested.

-Strike

Edited by strike, 09 January 2015 - 01:41 PM.

• Binx likes this

#5 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 02:09 PM

Glad to hear there's interest. Hope there's still interest after you see these:

Spoiler

That's all I have done, so far. Just just need to do buildings, water, shoreline and various walkables and all the overworld tiles will be done.... And I should probably make higher quality versions of the big stuff

• Lightwulf likes this

#6 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:10 PM

Make a quest project for this and bring in all interested parties and we'll figure out what we need and who does what.

• Lightwulf and Binx like this

#7 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:30 PM

That's a good idea, and everyone who is interested in helping to develop can post here indicating their intent, so I can place them on the staff.

#8 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:54 PM

That looks interesting! Looking forward to it! :D

#9 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:34 PM

I suck at spiriting so I'm going to have to decline an offer to contribute though I would definitely like to use the tileset :P

-Strike

#10 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

No problem, let me know if you change your mind

#11 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:30 PM

I'll need ideas for how to change various items and enemies, as well, so if anyone has ideas they'd like to see implemented, let us know!

#12 Aquamentus (Facing Right)

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:29 PM

I'll need ideas for how to change various items and enemies, as well, so if anyone has ideas they'd like to see implemented, let us know!

How about editing the hammer to make it look like an axe? And then edit the pound posts to look like they're being chopped?

Or how about making the Hookshot a chain mace? :eyebrow:  :ahha:  :naughty:

#13 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:39 PM

I like the axe idea, although, personally I'd probably use the axe as a custom weapon with a sword base. Not sure how well the chain mace idea would work for the hookshot, maybe something more like a chain spear or grappling hook. On that note, what are people's feelings about including a set of script files with the tileset, of little things that could be used to really maximize the potential of this tile set? Maybe things like a script for multiple character inventories, party followers and switching between characters, or some additional weapons that people commonly want in quests (of course, only with the permission of the original script authors, or we could rewrite our own versions, I suppose)

• Lightwulf and Aquamentus (Facing Right) like this

#14 Aquamentus (Facing Right)

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:55 PM

On that note, what are people's feelings about including a set of script files with the tileset, of little things that could be used to really maximize the potential of this tile set? Maybe things like a script for multiple character inventories, party followers and switching between characters, or some additional weapons that people commonly want in quests (of course, only with the permission of the original script authors, or we could rewrite our own versions, I suppose)

YES.

Edited by Aquamentus (Facing Right), 14 February 2019 - 05:02 AM.

• Lightwulf likes this

#15 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:27 PM

YES YES YES YES YES, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t:  :naughty:  :teehee:  :XD: 

So... Is that a yes?

EDIT: Also, as a note, we're still looking for anyone interested in helping us out with this project, since there's only two of us, and I dunno about him, but I'm not a very good spriter,lol.

P.S.--  strike. Yeah,I'm not a good spriter, either.....

Edited by Lineas, 11 January 2015 - 08:56 PM.

• Lightwulf likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users