Photo

reason why i hate dor tileset

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:21 PM

Hate to say it Radien but it does look like it will go overlooked, due to his whole taking a "long long break" from ZC.

#17 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE(Plissken @ Jul 2 2010, 10:21 AM) View Post
Hate to say it Radien but it does look like it will go overlooked, due to his whole taking a "long long break" from ZC.

Maybe so.

Oh well. If that's the case, I hope someone ELSE will read it, at least.

#18 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:42 PM

Don't worry, somebody did. icon_smile.gif

But, if he ever does read these posts, you could layer the mountain-side water tiles under the shore tiles, sort of like I did in this shot:
IPB Image

#19 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jul 1 2010, 12:42 AM) View Post

Yeah... well, it's basically a tutorial in reply form. icon_shrug.gif
"I told you so" about your opinion on the tiles, or about an "angry Radien approaching"?

I'm a little annoyed about the way this topic was introduced -- since it is no stretch of the imagination to think that a topic with this title might be a "hate thread" -- but I'm not annoyed about a tileset user needing help.

I might become annoyed again, however, if my help is dismissed or overlooked. Since the release of the DoR tileset, I've tried to set myself apart by helping users whenever they need it. Today I spent over an hour reviewing the tileset and working on example screenshots, all so I could type up the instructional post above. I'm perfectly fine spending the time to write it. I'll only be annoyed if all that is ignored.

No. i did not mean it. i just hate it when stuff like that happens to my quest. i love dor tileset. there is no better tileset.
its the best. i did not mean to offend you in any way. i am sorry. please forgive me raidien sama.

QUOTE(Moo2wo @ Jul 2 2010, 02:42 PM) View Post

Don't worry, somebody did. icon_smile.gif

But, if he ever does read these posts, you could layer the mountain-side water tiles under the shore tiles, sort of like I did in this shot:
IPB Image

yeah, thats in pure. or with pure tiles in dor. the shore tiles i am using are 2 tiles long. so,
i can't do that.

#20 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:55 AM

With a little bit of tile editing, I'm thinking you can remove the abrupt-ness of the transition from the mountain water tiles to the seaform shoreline. Probably not the best solution, but may look better.

IPB Image

--------------------------

IPB Image (Should be directly rippable, use layering to achieve the effect on the screen.)

#21 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(cremeens1000 @ Jul 2 2010, 01:47 PM) View Post
No. i did not mean it. i just hate it when stuff like that happens to my quest. i love dor tileset. there is no better tileset.

Haha, okay. Well, don't get frustrated. It's just a hobby, right? And you don't have to think my tileset is the "best evar" to use it. icon_wink.gif

QUOTE(cremeens1000 @ Jul 2 2010, 01:47 PM) View Post
i did not mean to offend you in any way. i am sorry. please forgive me raidien sama.

No need for "sama." I'm not royalty. Just spell it "Radien" and we'll be good. icon_biggrin.gif

Now, continuing on to more tile stuff...

QUOTE(Sephiroth @ Jul 3 2010, 06:55 AM) View Post
With a little bit of tile editing, I'm thinking you can remove the abrupt-ness of the transition from the mountain water tiles to the seaform shoreline. Probably not the best solution, but may look better.

IPB Image

The edit is visually pleasing, but it has a slight logical problem. You see, the dark water at the edge of the rock is supposed to represent rock face extending deep into the water. That makes it strange that it can be seen under the surf in those seashore tiles, which should be shallow water.

I gave it a try myself, with a slightly different take: I altered the diagonal rock/water tile instead of the surf tile. I also included a corner rock/surf tile so you don't have to use layering for this method. Here you go.

IPB Image

For one combo, I included an animation for LTTP simple mountains, because hey, why not.

The surf (marked "shallow water") is just an example, as is the plain rock tile to the right of it. You don't have to rip them; they're duplicates in the DoR tileset.

EDIT: Forgot to add an example screenshot to show how to use the tiles. Hopefully you can locate them in the image, given the other screenshots in this thread.

IPB Image

#22 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:39 PM

This a lot of fuss over a very small graphical bug. Really, don't stress out so much about these things. Nintendo still get's away with small graphic mistakes; the player won't be focusing on little things like "geez, why don't these graphic match up?"

#23 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE(Lemon @ Jul 3 2010, 05:39 PM) View Post

This a lot of fuss over a very small graphical bug. Really, don't stress out so much about these things. Nintendo still get's away with small graphic mistakes; the player won't be focusing on little things like "geez, why don't these graphic match up?"

This would be an extreme truth. Most people wouldn't notice such a small mistake.

#24 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jul 3 2010, 05:16 PM) View Post
Haha, okay. Well, don't get frustrated. It's just a hobby, right? And you don't have to think my tileset is the "best evar" to use it. icon_wink.gif
No need for "sama." I'm not royalty. Just spell it "Radien" and we'll be good. icon_biggrin.gif

sama dose not have to be said to royalty. it could be, master, or just someone who is much higher ranked then yourself.
witch is what i meant.

#25 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE(cremeens1000 @ Jul 3 2010, 07:34 PM) View Post
sama dose not have to be said to royalty. it could be, master, or just someone who is much higher ranked then yourself.
witch is what i meant.

You could call use "sama" to refer to a master by name, but the actual noun for master is a little different. Radien-sama is like saying "esteemed Radien" or somesuch.

Anyway, thanks, but either way I don't need to sit on a higher rank all the time.

I hope you find those tiles useful in some way.

QUOTE(Lemon @ Jul 3 2010, 06:39 PM) View Post

Well, as diehard fans we tend to be...particular. It's only to be expected.

#26 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:37 AM

When you are developing maps, and small errors like that arise, it can be very annoying, but once it's revised, it makes all the tile transitions much smoother. Sure, you may not notice it while in "game mode," but after everything is said and done, and you walk around searching for things, small annoyances such as these do catch your eye. Nothing to complain about, but also nothing to be satisfied with icon_shrug.gif.

#27 Nightmeres

Nightmeres

Defender

• Members

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:04 PM

I never actually made a quest with Dor tileset. I may make one in the future though.

also I don't usually see the graphical errors in my own quests until I'm finished with the game so I don't really a worry about them that often. but that's just an opinion

Edited by Nightmeres, 08 July 2010 - 03:08 PM.

#28 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE(Nightmeres @ Jul 8 2010, 12:04 PM) View Post
I never actually made a quest with Dor tileset. I may make one in the future though.

also I don't usually see the graphical errors in my own quests until I'm finished with the game so I don't really a worry about them that often. but that's just an opinion

Hah, I work exactly the opposite. I try to make sure that every screen is perfect before I move on to the next one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users