Super Mario Odyssey

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#46 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:01 PM

Here's a 20 minute gameplay video from E3.

New trailer too!

All I can say is wow, I can't wait. Looks like we're going back to Dinosaur Island.

#47 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:03 PM

The hat mechanic looks so damn cool, being able to possess so much stuff can lead to a lot of awesome level design. Really considering getting the game now.

#48 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:34 PM

I'm just amazed. I was expecting just a simple evolution in platforming greatness, which would have still made a great game, but then they added in all this new stuff via the hat and I'm so giddy with how imaginative this game is. And it's out in October! Holy shit! Man, I'm super excited. Just four months away.

Also, the star analogues? These moons? It appears collecting them doesn't boot you from the level to the hub. 19 years later, they've finally taken notes from Banjo-Kazooie. :P

• Rambly and Anthus like this

#49 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:45 PM

I like the moons. I'm kind of surprised they didn't use that sooner, tbh. There's some nods to every Mario game to some degree. One thing I noticed though, was that the woman at the end of the trailer in the red dress with brown hair looks awfully familiar. This looks like the most original Mario game since Mario Sunshine.

#50 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:49 PM

I noticed her too. It'll be interesting to see Pauline return to the main series, especially in a world where Peach exists. She's apparently the mayor of the city, judging by some NPC text (I lost the image, it's buried somewhere on Twitter). Seems to be implying she was the one singing the trailer song. Man. Cheering on your ex-boyfriend as he journeys off to save his new love. That's some solid friendship.

Also I hope this game ends in Mario marrying Peach already.

And hey! Galaxy was plenty original too!

#51 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:00 PM

Also, Mario in an italian suit... uh-oh

Edited by Cukeman, 13 June 2017 - 07:01 PM.

• Anthus, Sheik, strike and 1 other like this

#52 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:43 AM

So, my initial reaction to this game was definite hype. But now watching some of the gameplay I feel slightly concerned... it doesn't seem to feel that much like a Mario game : | The first time I really strongly got this impression was the boss fight where you turn into a tank. That seemed pretty non mario. I don't know. I get that it is changing a lot of traditions and I definitely think that is good but I don't want this game to feel like a hodge podge of stuff that is mario branded. Thoughts? I am still hoping it is great obviously.

-Strike

#53 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:48 AM

To some extent it reminds me of Mario's Bee, Cat, Frog, Tanooki and other suits in his games and Wario's transformations in Wario Land 2. Like, a game heavily exploring that? I guess it might depend how long transformations last and whether they're just there to pass obstacles or have enough control options to be used for long periods of time. I did see lots of regular Mario acrobatics so... that's probably still there to a large extent. I dunno, I haven't watched much gameplay, just some initial thoughts.

Edited by Cukeman, 15 June 2017 - 11:48 AM.

#54 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:27 PM

It seems lives have been completely removed and you lose coins when you die instead. I'm actually fine with it because coins seem to be very important in this game and losing them when you die is a bigger punishment than just losing a life. Also, being able to collect moons out of order and not being booted out of the level when you get one, awesome.

This game also looks like the closest any 3D Mario has gotten to be like Mario 64 and that's awesome because Mario 64 is my favorite 3D Mario.

Edited by Norzan, 15 June 2017 - 05:32 PM.

#55 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:22 PM

To answer your question, strike, I personally feel like there's still enough normal Mario aspects to still be in the typical Mario style.

To me, a lot of the transformations are looking like alternate solutions to a puzzle rather than the sole solution if that makes any sense. From what I've seen, there seems to be multiple methods of competing a lot of objectives, and I like that.

Like Breath of the Wild, while the game seems different from the rest of the series, I trust it will still capture the spirit of the franchise.
  • strike likes this

#56 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:40 PM

It seems lives have been completely removed and you lose coins when you die instead. I'm actually fine with it because coins seem to be very important in this game and losing them when you die is a bigger punishment than just losing a life. Also, being able to collect moons out of order and not being booted out of the level when you get one, awesome.

This is honestly one of my favorite things about this game. The lives system in Mario as we knew it was obsolete. The only downside is... I'll miss you, 1-up mushrooms. But honestly, what did Game Overs accomplish? A bit of backtracking in prior 3D games? None whatsoever in Super Mario 3D Land/World? It needed to go.

#57 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:40 PM

To answer strike's question too, I'd say every great Mario game does so by being so different from the last. I think we're in the midst of the birth of a classic. Like SM64 today, I bet people will be looking back on Odyssey in 21 years. More than 3D World, but I do love that game. :P

#58 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

Seeing more gameplay, I feel more comfortable that it will feel like a mario game. I'm loving the gameplay from the forest area. And Anthus, I defintiely agree. I think that is what made 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy so good. They all added crazy new things. But it stayed Mario. And I really hope that is how this goes. I feel much more sure about that now. The tank thing was the only part where I felt "ehhhh, this really is nothing like mario."

-Strike

• Anthus likes this

#59 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:03 PM

Game Overs may be pointless, but being able to lose a life means a lot when I play Sunshine. I enjoy having to be skilled enough to complete a mission without taking too many hits. I still find Sunshine challenging and very much think being booted out of a level for losing all your health portions is a big part of the game, providing a challenge and improving the whole experience.

Edited by Cukeman, 16 June 2017 - 02:19 AM.

• strike and Jared like this

#60 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:41 AM

In modern Mario games, a lives counter is pointless and has only been retained for legacy purposes up until now. I fully support Nintendo's decision to drop it and go for a different, more meaningful penalty for dying. Let's face it; game overs don't do anything meaningful that a regular death doesn't in the game.

In modern times, it is rare for a platformer to have a lives counter and many franchises that once had it like Rayman dropped it altogether in their recent installments because of how pointless it was. Nintendo clearly knows that lives are outdated in the context of Super Mario Bros and have made many moves to depreciate it. From Super Mario Galaxy onwards, they gave out so many lives that the threat of running out of them and getting a game over was next to nothing. Even getting a Game Over didn't mean anything in any of the games after a certain point (namely from 64 onwards), where the games let you save after clearing a stage or collecting a mcguffin, as they didn't penalize the player in any real way outside the normal punishment dying gets.

However, it wouldn't be so pointless if you had a limited number of lives per stage and you were kicked back out if you lost them all like in Starfox Zero. Which then by all means having a lives counter won't be pointless, but Nintendo doesn't appear to be going that route for the series.

Edited by Orithan, 16 June 2017 - 12:47 AM.

• Jared likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users