Photo

Any aspiring graphic designers / artists out there?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Legend

• Site Creator

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you are graphic designers, UI designers, web designers, etc.

If you are and would like to contribute to the community, I'm looking for someone to provide art direction for PureZC. The goal is to make PureZC look pretty and modern.

PureZC is not profitable, so I unfortunately can't offer to contract you. You'll get credit, of course... so if you do good work, you at least get to put the final product in your portfolio.

If you're interested in helping, just post here with links to any prior work you have to share!

#2 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

I'm an adequate web designer. I recently began working on a rather sexy bit of Javascript.

http://thedevhome.net/game.php

The intention was to have the entire site in a single page, to reduce page loads/reloads. This is really the only decent bit of work I have to my name, though.

Edited by DavidReinold, 16 November 2011 - 12:55 PM.

#3 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

Well, your site is nice, but I think WB is looking more for a graphic designer to come up with nice color schemes and images to use. icon_razz.gif

#4 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

I'm an illustrator with an AA degree, and have some experience with graphic design- but only as far as imagery is concerned.
I hardly have any experience with websites, and can't really help with color and layouts, but if you need some images/logos
here and there among the layouts, I might be able to help.

I do have a website, but it's mostly my older work (there are a few new entries though).
But I can make images in a wide variety of styles (I'm not really into anime though).
If you're interested I can PM you the link to my website.

#5 Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Legend

• Site Creator

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Nov 16 2011, 02:05 PM) View Post

I'm an illustrator with an AA degree, and have some experience with graphic design- but only as far as imagery is concerned.
I hardly have any experience with websites, and can't really help with color and layouts, but if you need some images/logos
here and there among the layouts, I might be able to help.

I do have a website, but it's mostly my older work (there are a few new entries though).
But I can make images in a wide variety of styles (I'm not really into anime though).
If you're interested I can PM you the link to my website.

That sounds cool! I'll let you know as we see who else comes along.

You sure you wouldn't be able to design colors? It seems like a lot of the principles relevant to logo and graphic design apply there.

To clarify, I need no help with code... just art direction, possibly layout mockups or at least some layout element design, such as menu bars and what have you.

#6 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

Well, I can always give it a shot, no harm in trying. Did you have something in mind, or were you still looking for ideas?

#7 Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Legend

• Site Creator

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:51 PM

No ideas yet, but I haven't been thinking about it very long. I'm very open to anything that looks clean and modern.

#8 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:26 PM

I do a lot of artsy stuff, if you're looking for assistance with colors and logo-esque things. I don't know a lot about graphic/web design, though. icon_shrug.gif

Edited by Adem, 16 November 2011 - 04:27 PM.

#9 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:43 PM

I find it remarkable, that after all these years, you still care for this board this much (considering making a new design, keeping fixing the chat issues, paying the bills...). Two thumbs way up!

I do art, though tradional art only. I trust my judgement on art, but I have almost no proper education on it, so I figure that others are more competent. I can give a semi-informed opinion if asked, but that's true for every second guy here. If you ever happen to be short on guys enlighting you with their wisdom, you can always turn to me, however.

Edited by Yoshimi, 16 November 2011 - 04:43 PM.

#10 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

My forte is in level design, primarily. Since I was little, I enjoyed doodling up maps and following their many paths with my eyes, like some little adventure I made up. Anything I were to design for a webpage would be an offshoot of this idea, like a big hand-drawn overworld map in the background with little details for the eyes to follow. Make the board look like you're looking down at landmasses, a little bit.

Outside of that, here is some actual design advice: If there was some stronger link between the way Zquest looked and the way this board looked, that would be a plus. However, Zquest is ugly as sin, so we'll have to move on to other ideas. Because of the current skin, I imagine that PureZC, as a real place, would be a friendly environment, but cold and sterile, with white tile flooring and overhead lamps hanging from warehouse ceilings. In short: A Grocery Store. This is not the type of environment that best describes PureZC. You need something much warmer, yet still with copious amounts of green. I don't say this because of the connection to Zelda games, so much as the act of using Zquest to landscape. It needs earthen colors to pull off the sense of warmth, like dirt browns, and the tanned color of an old map. Combine this with green somehow and you will find a much gentler site.

Anyway, I do have an example of some web design work. The site was done in Webs sitebuilder though. Client's choice. Still, not bad.

http://www.mojoma.webs.com/

I can't vouch for how it will look in IE8, though.

Edited by King Aquamentus, 16 November 2011 - 05:47 PM.

#11 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

Even though I'm nearly finished a degree in multimedia I suck at web design icon_razz.gif

I have to ask why though? What are the benefits of a redesign? What's the purpose? If you only want it to "look nicer"... I think it looks fine as it is icon_shrug.gif

#12 Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Legend

• Site Creator

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Nov 16 2011, 08:41 PM) View Post

I have to ask why though? What are the benefits of a redesign? What's the purpose? If you only want it to "look nicer"... I think it looks fine as it is icon_shrug.gif

This site looks ancient! Time to look modern.

#13 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

I wouldn't call it "ancient," but I do think it could benefit from some updates. I like the current layout, though. Is that something you're intending on tweaking, as well?

#14 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

Well, outside of aesthetics, it's typical for people to learn better practices when they get better, so I'm sure WB could make a more useful site should he upgrade it. The web has changed a lot since PureZC was first made. There's new languages out there (and ways to use old languages), and things are different nowadays. Sure, PureZC is familiar and works as is, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be better. icon_wink.gif

#15 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:36 PM

I do recommend having more then just the SotW Winner display on the front page, since we have Screen Rebirth, and Screenshot: Challenge Accepted not too, and perhaps a spot for the month shots, since we have it set up to do both SotW, and SotM on whichever week it falls on, and I believe the other Events do so also. icon_smile.gif Just some ideas. Perhaps just having it be one spot, but does a slideshow type deal, so it shows everything. icon_shrug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users