Sub Screens

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 AtrusW0nder

AtrusW0nder

Creator

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

I'm working on a new quest using BS tile sets. I want to include custom items but I don't know how to make a custom sub screen that will show the new items such as arrow quiver, bomb bags and wisp rings and such. Can anyone help me out?

I also wanna insert a magic meter, but I have no idea how. Can someone school me on sub screen making?

Edited by AtrusW0nder, 27 September 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#2 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

Access the subscreen editor from "Quest->Misc Data->Subscreens" and then select the screen you want to work with. If you press the page up and page down buttons, it will scroll through different elements in subscreens. Using the menu above, you can then select "Edit->Properties" to change settings for the selected element. (You can just click on the elements, too, but sometimes it's hard to select the ones you want because of the way things overlap). You can use this to resize boxes that contain items to make room for new ones, and move around the boxes, maps, items, triforce frames, or anything else to make space for the new items. To actually create new elements, use "Edit->New" from the top menu. To add new items, select the "Current Item" subscreen element from the list, and change its settings in the last tab. Under "item class," set the class of the item (such as "quivers," "bomb bags," etc).

This gets a little more complicated if you're adding equipment items (selectable weapons), since all those position numbers will need to be filled in as well to make it selectable. The "position" is the number of the item in the subscreen, and should be unique. The other numbers represent which item the cursor should scroll to from this one if you press a certain direction. So, you'll need to figure out where you want the item placed, then adjust the position settings accordingly for not only the new item, but the items around it, so you can scroll to the new item from them. Yeah, that part gets a little complicated. My suggestion is to try experimenting with it a bit and ask specific questions when you have them. The bottom set of arrows on the right side will let you test how the selection moves, so you can use that to help you get it right.

A simple magic meter can be added the same way as items. Go to your passive subscreen, then make a new element, "Magic Meter," and position it where you want it.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Aevin, 27 September 2013 - 03:11 PM.

• coolgamer012345 likes this

#3 AtrusW0nder

AtrusW0nder

Creator

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

Access the subscreen editor from "Quest->Misc Data->Subscreens" and then select the screen you want to work with. If you press the page up and page down buttons, it will scroll through different elements in subscreens. Using the menu above, you can then select "Edit->Properties" to change settings for the selected element. (You can just click on the elements, too, but sometimes it's hard to select the ones you want because of the way things overlap). You can use this to resize boxes that contain items to make room for new ones, and move around the boxes, maps, items, triforce frames, or anything else to make space for the new items. To actually create new elements, use "Edit->New" from the top menu. To add new items, select the "Current Item" subscreen element from the list, and change its settings in the last tab. Under "item class," set the class of the item (such as "quivers," "bomb bags," etc).

This gets a little more complicated if you're adding equipment items (selectable weapons), since all those position numbers will need to be filled in as well to make it selectable. The "position" is the number of the item in the subscreen, and should be unique. The other numbers represent which item the cursor should scroll to from this one if you press a certain direction. So, you'll need to figure out where you want the item placed, then adjust the position settings accordingly for not only the new item, but the items around it, so you can scroll to the new item from them. Yeah, that part gets a little complicated. My suggestion is to try experimenting with it a bit and ask specific questions when you have them. The bottom set of arrows on the right side will let you test how the selection moves, so you can use that to help you get it right.

A simple magic meter can be added the same way as items. Go to your passive subscreen, then make a new element, "Magic Meter," and position it where you want it.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much for helping. It all sounds a little foreign to me, but I'll do like you said and just tinker around with it. Plus I have your response message to refer to. I usually pick-up things by visuals. If you have skype, I would like to discuss this with you there. My skype name is atrusw0nder. Again, thank you Aevin. I'll remember your name for the credits. 

#4 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

It takes a while to learn the sub menu's.
Ask questions as u need!!!!!1

#5 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:54 AM

I find that is far more efficient to click on an existing object and type the 'd' key to duplicate it, and then edit the properties of the duplicated item. Your hardest part will be in setting up items with the selector, as you need to map out the items in a grid, starting with zero, and input the next item (right, left, up down) for each.

items that you cannot select must always have a value of '-1'; the bow is not a weapon on the subscreen: The arrow is the item the player must select. You can place the bow, set to -1, anywhere.

To change th propertis of an item, right-click it and select item properties (or something like that), and click on the tab to change view to propeties, then click on the graphic to open the tile selector to select a new tile.

Be sure that no two subscren items use the same itm class, unless you intend to use multiple levels of an item type (such as Swords) that replace the older version on collecting a new one. Otherwise, your new items may not be visible or (possibly worse), your new item may be visible, but the old one may not. Keep careful notes on what item uses a class, to avoid duplication. the zz### and custom item classes are both usable, but you may wish to mirror the class in for the item in the item editor, if it uses an active script, to avoid later confusion.

Arrow keys work best for moving subscreen objects. A single tap of an arrow key moves an object by one pixel, whereas holding shift and tapping an arrow moves it by 16-pixels.

If anything overlaps the boundary of the subscreen, it will become invisible.

Be careful with the 'Escape' key, as hitting it will close your editing subscreen without changing it.

I advise exporting the subscreen you want to modify, then in the game, renaming it, and importing the original as a <new> subscreen to get it back. In doing this, you can make backups: If you import a subscreen, and one exists with the same name, C will always replace it. This makes renaming your modified subscreen imperative.

There is no video tutorial, although I did start on a written tutorial at one time. I don't recall if I ever posted it, or what progress I made on it,

#6 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

Very nice post, ZoriaRPG! Definitely will help me when creating the subscreens for my quest because I haven't really been familiar with them that much. Thanks! ;)

#7 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

Essentially, once you make your first custom subscreen, most of the funcions become apparent, but they are not easy to understand initially.

You may also be interested that you can create multiple image blocks, and set them to form the basis of the background (rather than pure black). What I did, was to make an image block for each item, with a border around the item and the centre filled in grey, so that people get a general idea of what might belong there, and when they collect it, it appears where it belongs. Then I added an Item Name block, so that when the player selects an item, he sees the name of it, giving some more information on what it is or does.

You can make multiple 'background' images ith an overall background. For example, make a slate coloured backdrop, with detailed stone or metallic raised areas that are separate item boxes.

You can also force the selector out of the normal item field, by assigning left/right/up/down values to items outside the field accompanied by item number values.

Again as an example, in TGC, the Sernarani (the replaement for TF pieces) is shown in a box in the upper-left of the screen, whereas inventory is on the bottom-right. Because the Sernarani can be used as items, but are more important then general tools, you need to be able to select them. Thus, I set it so that moving left from position 0 changes the selector to that box, and moving from the 8th (or highest numbered) collected artefact moves the cursor back to the inventory screen.

I have found no way to use Selector-2, and I think that the idea is not implemented. If it is, then 'tisn't documented.

Anyone who wants to see a live custom set of subscreens, to understand how they work may benefit from downloading TGC v0.55r25 and looking at the subscreens 'Grey' and 'GC Passive' in the editor. In doing so, you can learn how to set up objects, and how to set positions and reference points.

You can also explot using multiple items in a class, but it can be tricky. What I do is to assign a fake custom item class or zz### item class to the 'current item' and then use item override, which assists the subscreen from giving you non-selectable items.

For example, if you add Level-5 and Level-6 swords, and want the player to be able to keep and use each sword, if you set up six swords purely based on the 'Swords' item class, when you collect the L1 sword, you will see that sword in each 'sword' spot.

If you set item override for each, you will see only that sword, but, if you collect a sword out of sequence (e.g. collect the first sword, then the fourth sword), the subscreen will erroneously show the L2 and L3 swords, but not permit you to select them; or worse yet, it will show the items you do not have, but not show the ones that you do, allowing you to select them from a blank tile.

Thus, I like to reserve custom item classes for any item that has levels, where the player can keep lower-level items. If you use a different item class for each, and then use item override, it cures the issue entirely.

There is also a glitch with using item-override with arrows that can occur, having to do with Hex IDs for item values. It may or may not happen, based on what you do with the game. If you want custom arrows, the best thing to do is to script them, use a custom item class, and LW_ARROW as their LType.

Last, 'item override' is really only useful if you want to assign an item without its matching class, as described above. I have seen a number of anomalies trying to display multiple levels of items without assigning each a dummy class, which is precisely why I did it this way.

I strongly advise looking at a custom subscreen, if not the one from my game, then from another unlocked game (TGC is not a password locked .qst file), to get your bearings and see how to do these things.

I am also happy to say that I have encountered [u]absolutely no problems[/u[ using zz### classes on the subscreen. Some people avoid them, out of a fear that they may cause bugs, but I have never encountered anything that distinguishes then from the 'Custom Item Class ##' classes.

#8 AtrusW0nder

AtrusW0nder

Creator

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

Sub screen "expert" needed. Basically, I'm making a 4 triforce quest with books, instead of actual triforce. Each book looks different from the other. How to I manage to make them show in the sub screens all looking different from one another. Also, I'm making several different looking boss keys. How do I make them show up differently. For example, level 1 boss key looks different from level 2 boss key.

#9 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

For the 'Triforce' books: Try experimenting with the "Triforce Piece" subscreen element instead of the "Triforce Frame".

Boss keys: You'll need to use a basic script to have each boss key give a "dummy item" which will appear on the subscreen.

item script giveItem{
    void run(int itemID){
        Link->Item[itemID] = true;
    }
}

#10 AtrusW0nder

AtrusW0nder

Creator

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

Essentially, once you make your first custom subscreen, most of the funcions become apparent, but they are not easy to understand initially.

You may also be interested that you can create multiple image blocks, and set them to form the basis of the background (rather than pure black). What I did, was to make an image block for each item, with a border around the item and the centre filled in grey, so that people get a general idea of what might belong there, and when they collect it, it appears where it belongs. Then I added an Item Name block, so that when the player selects an item, he sees the name of it, giving some more information on what it is or does.

You can make multiple 'background' images ith an overall background. For example, make a slate coloured backdrop, with detailed stone or metallic raised areas that are separate item boxes.

You can also force the selector out of the normal item field, by assigning left/right/up/down values to items outside the field accompanied by item number values.

Again as an example, in TGC, the Sernarani (the replaement for TF pieces) is shown in a box in the upper-left of the screen, whereas inventory is on the bottom-right. Because the Sernarani can be used as items, but are more important then general tools, you need to be able to select them. Thus, I set it so that moving left from position 0 changes the selector to that box, and moving from the 8th (or highest numbered) collected artefact moves the cursor back to the inventory screen.

I have found no way to use Selector-2, and I think that the idea is not implemented. If it is, then 'tisn't documented.

Anyone who wants to see a live custom set of subscreens, to understand how they work may benefit from downloading TGC v0.55r25 and looking at the subscreens 'Grey' and 'GC Passive' in the editor. In doing so, you can learn how to set up objects, and how to set positions and reference points.

You can also explot using multiple items in a class, but it can be tricky. What I do is to assign a fake custom item class or zz### item class to the 'current item' and then use item override, which assists the subscreen from giving you non-selectable items.

For example, if you add Level-5 and Level-6 swords, and want the player to be able to keep and use each sword, if you set up six swords purely based on the 'Swords' item class, when you collect the L1 sword, you will see that sword in each 'sword' spot.

If you set item override for each, you will see only that sword, but, if you collect a sword out of sequence (e.g. collect the first sword, then the fourth sword), the subscreen will erroneously show the L2 and L3 swords, but not permit you to select them; or worse yet, it will show the items you do not have, but not show the ones that you do, allowing you to select them from a blank tile.

Thus, I like to reserve custom item classes for any item that has levels, where the player can keep lower-level items. If you use a different item class for each, and then use item override, it cures the issue entirely.

There is also a glitch with using item-override with arrows that can occur, having to do with Hex IDs for item values. It may or may not happen, based on what you do with the game. If you want custom arrows, the best thing to do is to script them, use a custom item class, and LW_ARROW as their LType.

Last, 'item override' is really only useful if you want to assign an item without its matching class, as described above. I have seen a number of anomalies trying to display multiple levels of items without assigning each a dummy class, which is precisely why I did it this way.

I strongly advise looking at a custom subscreen, if not the one from my game, then from another unlocked game (TGC is not a password locked .qst file), to get your bearings and see how to do these things.

I am also happy to say that I have encountered [u]absolutely no problems[/u[ using zz### classes on the subscreen. Some people avoid them, out of a fear that they may cause bugs, but I have never encountered anything that distinguishes then from the 'Custom Item Class ##' classes.

Wow, thank you for being so informative. I'll have to reread this a few times to digest it. But, I'll understand it before I know it.  Would you be willing to skype with me sometime and do a visual walkthrough with me? I'll pick it up way faster that way. Also, after you school me and I finally grasp it, I could do the tutorial for Youtube! Tell me what you think. And thanks again! Skype name Atrusw0nder (zero as the O)

For the 'Triforce' books: Try experimenting with the "Triforce Piece" subscreen element instead of the "Triforce Frame".

Boss keys: You'll need to use a basic script to have each boss key give a "dummy item" which will appear on the subscreen.

item script giveItem{
    void run(int itemID){
        Link->Item[itemID] = true;
    }
}

Nice! You think you could walk me through the steps? I'm clueless as to where to start and what all that means. I've never scripted before.

Edited by AtrusW0nder, 13 October 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#11 AtrusW0nder

AtrusW0nder

Creator

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

It takes a while to learn the sub menu's.
Ask questions as u need!!!!!1

Ok, when I go to place the new item (Boss Key) on my sub screen and then hit D to dupicate, I go into properties. Once in properties, there is no Graphic box to select. I'm trying to place two Boss keys in the item screen. I want each Boss key to look different.

#12 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

The graphics are taken from the item itself. That tiny script will give you a dummy item of your choice when you pick up the boss key, and that dummy item will go on your subscreen. Alternatively, I could make it work with only one boss key item total and one dummy item per level, instead of one boss key and one dummy item per level. How many levels are in your quest?

#13 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

I don't have a Skype account, not the bandwidth to use one if I did. I can probably answer questions posted-here, and will work towards a proper tutorial with screenshots in the near future. I wrote a decent amount of notes on the matter,but I have yet to assemble them, and I will need to do a step-by-step screenshot series for it.'

Basic dummy item script for up to five items:
Step One: Make an Item in the Editor, and assign it a graphic. Give it a Custom or zz### item class.
Step Two: Set the arguments as provided below.
Step Three: Assign this script as the pickup script of the dummy item.

You can give items as true, or you can create them at Link->X & Link->Y, running their own pickup scripts (if any).
Set this to any item, as its pickup script to execute the code.
It should be possible to cascade this, by having one or more of the items given (as Created, not set to true) set with this script as its pickup script.

[/code]

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 14 October 2013 - 05:59 AM.

#14 AtrusW0nder

AtrusW0nder

Creator

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:22 AM

The graphics are taken from the item itself. That tiny script will give you a dummy item of your choice when you pick up the boss key, and that dummy item will go on your subscreen. Alternatively, I could make it work with only one boss key item total and one dummy item per level, instead of one boss key and one dummy item per level. How many levels are in your quest?

There are several levels, but I've decided that I'm only going to make 2 different looking boss keys.

#15 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

Oh, good! That makes things less tedious to set up. Will you keep these keys between levels? Will you show both of them on the screen at the same time?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users