Zquest Ideas Concepts

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
108 replies to this topic

#46 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:33 AM

Some things like step secrets don't trigger the secret SFX. That would be nice.

Post that on the dev server please, or send it to me as a direct message on Discord.

My ideas (I haven't made a quest yet so I don't need these but these could be useful):

New Rule: Side View Wizzrobes Only Appear on Floors
Also maybe some sort of tile that is marked for them to be able to appear on in side view but if that's not available they pick the closest one that puts them in Link's fire.

This sort of makes sense. Actually, a sideview enemy type, or just an enemy flag 'obeys gravity' is something that I have considered.

New Rule: Zoras Count As Enemies To Be Beaten

This already exists in 2.50, in the enemy editor.

New Rule: LttP Cane of Byrna

This is in 2.54. 

New Item: L2 Whistle (Same as L2 Bracelet, which means it's the same just works on some things that the original doesn't)

What would this accomplish? You can make as mamy ;levels of whistles as you want, now. I do not understand what you want it to do. In 2.54, with minor scripts, you can easilymake special triggers for any item.

New Item: Roc's Cape (Allows a little more mobility like L2 Ladder)

This one is a bit more interesting, and users have wanted it since < 2.10.

New Item: Stopwatch (Like Nayru's Love, but pauses enemies too. L1 pauses enemies but not invincible, L2 works like Nayru's Love and the original clock with the invincibility and also stopped enemies)

New Enemy Pickup: Temporary Clock (Green Temp. Clock pauses enemies, Blue Temp. Clock pauses enemies and makes LInk incivnicble. But it only lasts for a few seconds) 

New Item: Inventory Clock and Temporary Clocks (the same way as the enemy pickups, but in your inventory to be used like potions so you can buy them at shops)

I'll look into adding a flag to clock items so that Link is not invincible. That seems like a very easy, and sane addition. You can already change them to a specific duration in the item editor.

I'll also look into making the item class work as a button item, although the item script for that is only a few lines.

New Item: Bomb and Arrow Potions (yeah)

Wot? What would these...do?

New Item: Pegasus Boots (L1: only once per room, L2: like normal)

New Tile: Too-Fast-To-Walk Conveyor (so must use Pegasus Boots)

New tile: Quicksand (for Pegasus Boots)

New Combo Setting: Broken by Pegasus Charge

New Combo Setting: Pushed by Pegasus Charge (like a block)

New Rule: Pegasus Boots Use Magic

Running boots, IDK. I first need to make Link's walking speed variable. I think that this would best stay in the realm of scripts, for the present. All of the planned combo stuff is going to happen in 2.55, so, it's not outside the realm of possibility.

New Rule: Roc's Feather Uses Magic

New Rule: Roc's Cape Uses Magic

Any item can use magic (including swords, now, as of 2.53.0b13), and any item can be set to use rupees instead of magic. You should have a look at the item editor, and the enemy editor.

Furthermore, as of 2.54, any item can use any counter, rather than just rupees or magic.

I would also like to mention, that I do not want to add more rules. Rules are static, and global. I would much rather add flags to items, enemies, and other game objects, so that the user can individually set 'rules' for them, on a per-item basis.

Many old QRs are being moved to item/enemy/mechanical settings. The remainder will fall into two sets: Static, and variable. If the latter, then they can be modified ad-hoc by scripts. (This is done in a system-safe way, via a new class 'FFCore'.)

It'd be nice if the CSet was specified in text on the combo list where you choose the combo for your FFC.

I suppose; but why? This feels trivial to add, although making the text field change the visible appearance of the combo in the ffc editor may not be practical. JWin (the GUI system) doesn't autorefresh all that easily.

More options on the enemy editor weakness drop down list.

Maybe things like...

2x Damage
3x Damage
4x Damage

These three are already in 2.54.

Stun or Damage
Block or Damage
Ignore or Damage

I'll try to add these by 2.55.

And if the OR options maybe something can pop up so you can define when that occurence occurs.

For example

Wand: Block or Damage

Damage Amount: 2x
Occurence: DMG >/= 10

Block Occurence: DMG < 10

That is going to need to stay in the script realm for now. I have already been rewriting the defence code for 2.55, and I have a very good system in place, but there is no good way to add dialogues for stuff this detailed. Custom defence outcomes, resolved by script, are far more feasible.
  • ShadowTiger and Architect Abdiel like this

#47 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:48 AM

A while back I said that I couldn't get "Remove Item When Used" to work on a sword. I found out that it only works on Wands if the Wand can shoot magic, So I'm thinking it probably works only on Sword that shoot beams. Gonna test it soon. If I'm right that should be a big help solving one of my issues.

EDIT: I'm assuming magic/rupee cost also only applies to beams/magic (for swords/wands). If so, that's very helpful knowledge for what I'm doing.

Edited by Cukeman, 23 January 2018 - 03:10 AM.

#48 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:11 AM

Responses:

To some of the previous ones, sorry I forgot about the Item Editor and hadn't really crakced open the editor. This was pretty much based upon viewing Eppy and pixcalibur's LPs and thinking what would be neat to see in them as standard quest things.

For Side View Wizzrobe, I meant that it doesn't appear in air, and neither floats or falls. Sort of like Mario World's Magikoopa.

About Roc's Cape, sorry that it is so hard, I didn't know. I thought that the "time in air" at the apex of jump (when the game considers you to be in the air) could be extended. And when you mention people wanted it since 2.10, wasn't the Roc's Feather only added in 2.5 anyways?

About Pegasus Boots, how is it possible that his speed is increased for conveyors and knockback but can't be for an item? Sounds coded weird.

Bomb and Arrow Potions: I guess I'm thinking of a general potion class of item that can be set to refill X amount of X counter (or to full). Maybe even rupees in potions to act as a substitute for the bigger wallets, so you can use these rupees if you run out of them, since they already act as arrows (I'm not sure if you can set other items to use rupees as well). This could mean that the "potion" class applies to both normal potions and could be reskinned for other refills like inventory fairies.

Also, is there an option to stack items? Like you can have more than two potions? That would be useful for non-default-potion items like an "inventory fairy" where it could refill your hearts. So you can use for instance two fairies.

#49 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:46 AM

toomanyquotes2.png

Really?! This is a thing?!

Here's some more ideas, especially for items and the new Weapon Editor.

Equip and Dequip Rings, BoM, Shields, etc.: This comes in for...

This is easy to do by script. I might add code to do via the engine, but the items will need a special flag 'can unequip', as not to break old quests, or break the ability to force an item on the player.

Wearing It Drains Money/Magic: You know the Magic Armor? Well, imagine that, but expanded to other inventory objects.

I'll need to check what passive items do not obey magic costs. Feel free to post a list, and I can fix them at some point.

Can Have High and Low Items at the Same Time: This could be useful for certain ring flavors having different effects in scripts. also, imagine being able to use your normal boomerang, but you can spend magic to use the fire boomerang.

This is possible in 2.50. It merely requires two things:
1. The item must have the flag 'Keep Lower Level Items' enabled, and;
2. Both items must be on the subscreen. Each of the subscreen objects of this type should be set to an item class that you do not otherwise use; then, use 'Item override' to set the specific item.

I do this for most of my quests, so that you can have multiple swords simultaneously, or multiple boomerangs, and so forth.

Change Money/Magic Cost For Firing: Self-explanatory

Wot? If you mean that you want a way to set the item cost, open the item editor. It's right there. As of 2.54, you can also do this by script, and set specific counters.

Different Magic/Ammo Meters: Make an item or family of items use its own ammo stock.

This is possible in 2.54. You can set any item to use a specific counter, and display those counters on your subscreens.

In 2.50.x, you can do this with scripts.

Item/Weapon Uses More Than One Ammo Source: So for instance, you could have arrows use rupees, but also have them use arrow ammo as well.

I considered, then rejected this when I changed item cost to use a variable counter. It would be far too convoluted to set up such a thing in the ZQ user interface. Perhaps in the future.

Inventory Fairies and Magic Refill Bottles: Useful for small rewards or shop wares that are less than potions. Also like BotW food.

Hmm, a Z3 bottle item, that uses an editor value for its contents, is actually a grand idea. That one should not be terribly difficult.

Is it possible to change Link's tile size through sripts? That would be pretty funny for a Giant's Ring. I may also suggest a 8x8 Link size which acts like the Mini Mushroom. This could be an item to temporarily make Link smaller (acting similar to Nayru's Love), but that could be done in the Item or Weapon Editor if some stuff is added so it doesn't need its own slot.

Not fully. In 2.54, you can shift between 16x16, 16x32, 32x16, and 32x32 Link. TileWidth, TileHeight, HitWidth, and HitHeight, are planned for 2.55.

World Pauses While Using: You know how Nayru's Love does this? That's the quality now for all items with this item setting.

Perhaps, but it would be low priority, and potentially dangerous. Stuff like this, applied to any item, would make it very easy to cause ZC to hang.

This is where your stopwatch w/o invincibility might be useful, but you can do this with scripts, or with warps, by using the ';freeze screen' combo types. To suspend everything for an animation, you can use a global script to control the animation, or an ffc script, with the 'freeze all, except ffcs' flag--but remember to suspend Ghost.zh, and similar, if you use any stuff that hijacks ffcs to run code.

Also is there a rule so that saves don't count as deaths? Also it maybe could be changed to a Deaths/Continues/Saves triple counter on the file select.

Saving does not count as death. Adding counters for continues and saves doesn't seem to have very many practical applications, and if a quest is going to display this at the end, it will likely be scripted, so, a scripted save/continue thing might be better.

New Ideas:

Enemy/Player Shots that Heal: These shots can be set to heal Link, enemies, or both. They can heal a certain amount, or just do a full heal.

Link's weapons healing npcs is already in 2.54. The reverse is not, but once I finish adding Link->Defence, it should work.

New Combo Types

Glue: If you (and Peahats and Tektites) jump on here, you're stuck! You'll have to jump off. This acts as solid unless you're on top, so you can't walk into it on accident.

Changed Conveyor: Now the conveyor belt can have its speed (and corresponding animation) changed. Also good for "air currents" and Pegasus Boots blockades.

Quicksand: Going with my Pegasus Boots suggestion, this is the same as LttP. Run across or perish! May be set to "harmful unless running" or "if not running, acts as a pit/warp" or "if not running, drowns"

Ice: Yep, Link slowly slides to a stop.

L2 Ice: Now Link cannot stop! He just keeps walking, so you'll have to stay frosty.

Oil: This is uncontrollably slick, so it makes Link keep moving in the direction he entered it from until he hits something. May it be a block, or will it slide him into a pit?

Rushing Water/Sticky Conveyor: Get onto here and you're being moved where it leads like it or not. This activates when the game would consider Link to be on the conveyor enough for it to push him like a normal one, then he gets trapped.

Item Quality: Makes Link Trip on Ice/Oil: Did you forget that it's not safe to jump or charge when the ground is slick? Link will slide forward once he lands (whether that is temporary or until he hits a wall is determined by it being ice or oil).

All possible new combo type stuff is on moratorium until 2.54 is done. I want to perfect the combo attributes stuff first, before adding new types, as defining types will likely be possible in some fashion, and the new combodata type in ZScript, coupled with many usable custom combo types and combo flags, will allow defining scripted engine effects in new ways. I want to see how all of that turns out, and how the userbase receives it, before adding hardcoded types.
  • ShadowTiger likes this

#50 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:32 AM

A while back I said that I couldn't get "Remove Item When Used" to work on a sword. I found out that it only works on Wands if the Wand can shoot magic, So I'm thinking it probably works only on Sword that shoot beams. Gonna test it soon. If I'm right that should be a big help solving one of my issues.

EDIT: I'm assuming magic/rupee cost also only applies to beams/magic (for swords/wands). If so, that's very helpful knowledge for what I'm doing.

I fixed it so that the sword will not swing, but now that you mention this, aye, I need to check if magic cost was applied to beams before. if it was, then i will need to make the anti-swing thing an item flag, where if the flag is enabled and the item has a cost, it does not swing... I may make that work in reverse, and disable all use by default, with a flag for 'Cost only affects projectiles.', then port all older quests to enable that. One way or the other, that does need a separate flag in the event that any quests use this for sword beams, and it'd be good for disabling slashing with the wands/staves.

Responses:

To some of the previous ones, sorry I forgot about the Item Editor and hadn't really crakced open the editor. This was pretty much based upon viewing Eppy and pixcalibur's LPs and thinking what would be neat to see in them as standard quest things.

For Side View Wizzrobe, I meant that it doesn't appear in air, and neither floats or falls. Sort of like Mario World's Magikoopa.

About Roc's Cape, sorry that it is so hard, I didn't know. I thought that the "time in air" at the apex of jump (when the game considers you to be in the air) could be extended. And when you mention people wanted it since 2.10, wasn't the Roc's Feather only added in 2.5 anyways?

About Pegasus Boots, how is it possible that his speed is increased for conveyors and knockback but can't be for an item? Sounds coded weird.

Bomb and Arrow Potions: I guess I'm thinking of a general potion class of item that can be set to refill X amount of X counter (or to full). Maybe even rupees in potions to act as a substitute for the bigger wallets, so you can use these rupees if you run out of them, since they already act as arrows (I'm not sure if you can set other items to use rupees as well). This could mean that the "potion" class applies to both normal potions and could be reskinned for other refills like inventory fairies.

Also, is there an option to stack items? Like you can have more than two potions? That would be useful for non-default-potion items like an "inventory fairy" where it could refill your hearts. So you can use for instance two fairies.

An item editor value for what counter a potion refills is something that I'd file under 'good stuff'.

Many of Eppy's LPs are older quests, made before there were item and enemy editors.

Enemies have problems in sideview in general. Only walking types properly respect it.That's why either new enemy classes, or special defined sideview behaviour for everything would be good, in the future. This is nowhere near as simple as it sounds: Have a look at guys.cpp if you can read C code.

P.S. Once you have explored what you can already do with the editor, and read the 2.53 and 2.54 chsngelogs, you can post feature requests on AGN or on the ZC Development Discord server (in the #feature-requests channel).

#51 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:50 PM

OK, now that I got 2.50.2 working, I will try to not post stupid ones.

If you mean a empty bottle item that can be "filled" with items or pickups, that's actually a good idea. I thought about it being like Zelda 3 and almost suggested it, but I figured the "use or keep fairy" dialogue would not mesh too well with the general game style where there are no item dialogue boxes. I guess "bottle refills" could just go straight to your inventory, and if your multi-use bottle/set of single-use bottles (this is to allow for either a bottle that holds only certain things, or general-use bottles that can hold anything) are full, it just auto-uses it.

I really meant more of a death/continue/save counter on the file select, but that's fine.

Also about the stopwatch-without-invincibility, maybe to not break old quests, IE items could individually have the properties of auto-use on pickup or store in inventory, freezes the enemies, and renders Link invincible. Maybe fora  set amount of time on each as well or for a certain amount of screen transitions (1 being the normal Zelda 1 one).

#52 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:06 AM

Would diagonal shots, sword, enemy movement, and animation be infeasible with the codebase?

#53 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:17 AM

P-Tux7, I want to say, your glue combo is basically possible. Have a step next combo which becomes a solid combo when you step on it so you get stuck. The solid combo is also a step next combo which goes to a combo which cycles back to the original solid combo, a loop. The solid combo cycles after a certain number of frames of its animation which would not happen if you were standing on it. So when you jump, the solid tile cycles to the first non solid tile in the sequence. The only problem with this set up would be that enemies couldn't walk on the combo while you were stuck. 

-Strike

#54 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:26 AM

OK, now that I got 2.50.2 working, I will try to not post stupid ones.

You might want to download 2.53.0b13 and 2.54a22, if you are going to make suggestions on features, so that you can see what is already in those builds.

If you mean a empty bottle item that can be "filled" with items or pickups, that's actually a good idea. I thought about it being like Zelda 3 and almost suggested it, but I figured the "use or keep fairy" dialogue would not mesh too well with the general game style where there are no item dialogue boxes. I guess "bottle refills" could just go straight to your inventory, and if your multi-use bottle/set of single-use bottles (this is to allow for either a bottle that holds only certain things, or general-use bottles that can hold anything) are full, it just auto-uses it.

I really meant more of a death/continue/save counter on the file select, but that's fine.

Also about the stopwatch-without-invincibility, maybe to not break old quests, IE items could individually have the properties of auto-use on pickup or store in inventory, freezes the enemies, and renders Link invincible. Maybe fora  set amount of time on each as well or for a certain amount of screen transitions (1 being the normal Zelda 1 one).

It'd be an item editor flag 'No Invincibility' and only new quests would do anything with that flag, so, compatibility is not an issue.

As I said, this one seems easy-enough.

Would diagonal shots, sword, enemy movement, and animation be infeasible with the codebase?

I did some work on a diagonal hookshot about a year ago, that I plan to use in 2.55. Diagonal projectile weapons are not much of a problem: I could add diagonal arrows, wand magic and such. This uses a glaf 'Allow Diagonal', and diagonal weapon sprites set in the item editor.

Adding Diagonal facing directions for Link, or npcs, is not going to happen. That would be too much of a mess. Diagonal weapons would work like the boomerang.

For diagonal enemy movement, perhaps when we do the npc stuff for 2.55, which should include various movement patterns for npcs and weapons, this will be part of it.

Rats, I forgot about this when I fixed swords to obey a magic cost. I'm going to need to change that to require a flag 'Always Use Cost', so that with wands and staves, if it has a cost and that flag is enabled, Link will not be able to slash or stab with it. This will be the same on swords.

I will probably need to add an extra flag or two to all items, so that these things are not staggered. (i.e. The same flag ID has the same purpose/effect on all items with it.)

#55 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:08 AM

Rats, I forgot about this when I fixed swords to obey a magic cost. I'm going to need to change that to require a flag 'Always Use Cost', so that with wands and staves, if it has a cost and that flag is enabled, Link will not be able to slash or stab with it. This will be the same on swords.

I will probably need to add an extra flag or two to all items, so that these things are not staggered. (i.e. The same flag ID has the same purpose/effect on all items with it.)

Didn't you already mention this?

I fixed it so that the sword will not swing, but now that you mention this, aye, I need to check if magic cost was applied to beams before. if it was, then i will need to make the anti-swing thing an item flag, where if the flag is enabled and the item has a cost, it does not swing... I may make that work in reverse, and disable all use by default, with a flag for 'Cost only affects projectiles.', then port all older quests to enable that. One way or the other, that does need a separate flag in the event that any quests use this for sword beams, and it'd be good for disabling slashing with the wands/staves.

#56 Reflectionist

Reflectionist

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:21 PM

Just more integrated copy / pasting. I'm always afraid of experimenting with the item or enemy editors for fear of screwing something up that I know nothing about.

#57 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:22 PM

What do you mean? Just control click an item or enemy to bring up the copy/paste option.

#58 Local_Droog

Local_Droog

• Members

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:27 PM

Small brian: New Hardcoded Enemies 

Big Brain:  New Hardcoded Bosses from other 2d Zeldas

Infinite Brain:  More advance Enemy editor to make your own Bosses and Enemies 

I'll reply to some of these things.... I have been reading them, but I haven't indicated that of late.

This is looking to be far more trouble than it is worth, and probably won't happen.

Seems a valid idea. The screen flags system is an awful mess, though.

You never clarified if you meant the weapon sprites, but if you did, then this is already in 2.54.

It's on the 'would be nice' list, along with solid npcs.

Features this specific, for esoteric expansion belong in scripts.  In fact, I released a script that does exactly this.

Absolutely no. More hardcoded enemies makes no sense. Maybe, and I stress maybe, hardcoded bosses, but ideally we will migrate further away from internal hardcoded enemies in the future, not add more of them. Most of these make no sense anyway.

Being able to set specific eweapon types to npcs in the editor, makes sense. Adding new attack patterns, and movement patterns, that can be applied to any enemy using the editors, makes sense. Heck, adding a defence type for the whistle not only makes sense, but it is on the agenda.

The present enemy code is a gigantic, awful mess, composed of line after line of compatibility and behavioural hacks. It'll be preserved for quest compatibility one way or another, but I will never be willing to compound it by adding a handful of hardcoded normal enemies, that the editor features allow you to create anyway.

Stuff like Peahat 2 and Lynel 3 were planned for 2.10, and dropped because the enemy editor made them defunct.

No-one wants to work on enemy code anyway. The main focus in the future will be on true npc scripts, and trying to make enemy editor features more robust. (The 2.54 enemy editor already allows making huge custom bosses, or just larger enemies.)bett

YES a more Advanced Enemy Editor is what I Want super badly I want Ice WIzrobes and to be able to make big bosses as long as I can make that easily Id love it! I don't care about Hardcoded bosses if I can make them myself in the Editor I like Scripting but Id rather has some of that stuff be Hardcoded enemy data (like Ball and Chain or more Element Attacks! (Ice being my biggest one)

My Dream is to remake all the LTTP bosses! 

#59 Reflectionist

Reflectionist

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:22 PM

What do you mean? Just control click an item or enemy to bring up the copy/paste option.

...Oh. Awesome, at least I didn't suggest anything impossible lol.

Okay, how about a string control code that recalls the name the player puts down for their save? (I know, most people name their saves after the quests, but I only play one at a time).

Edited by Reflectionist, 25 January 2018 - 07:26 PM.

#60 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

What about a box for keys in the item editor where you type in the number of the DMap that the key will work in, regardless of where it is found?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Zquest, Ideas, Concepts

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users