Staff 4 Hire

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 DaLink

DaLink

These are my work clothes.

• Members

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:10 AM

Positions are now open for the new Reborn project! I need 3 beta testers and 2-3 advisors.

Advisors/Beta testers can skype IM with me or PM me on Zelda Classic if you don't have skype.

Deadline is June 20th for applying, so join when possible.

Edited by DaLink, 31 May 2015 - 11:10 AM.

#2 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:24 AM

I can be one of the beta testers.

#3 DaLink

DaLink

• Members

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:25 AM

I can be one of the beta testers.

Okay.

#4 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:09 PM

What are your expectations, needs, and requirements of either, or both, testers, and advisors?

If there is a project page, and description, that would also be good. I'm willing to help, conditionally. I won;t blindly jump aboard, or commit to something that would set expectations that I cannot genuinely meet.

One of my own conditions, is that I'd need to set up a constant mirror, so that the quest is not again terminated due to data loss; and some kind of system for cooperative development (including a versioning scheme that everyone understands, and follows), if that's what you want out of advisors.

I'd be happy to provide server space for mirrors of the files, and packages, to ensure that actually happens.

If you want scripting, and want your contributors to write those scripts, there would also be some limitations; and a specific understanding that making ZScript is a 'free time' activity. (I know well-enough now, that 'a while' to me, is 'forever' to younger people.)

Purely as a tester, I;d want to add one or two utility scripts to the project, to make reporting errors easier. (They do not affect gameplay in the slightest.) These report errors directly to allegro.log, for easy recording, and documentation. It's what I do for all of my projects now, and it's a g-dsend.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 31 May 2015 - 12:15 PM.

• ZeldaPlayer likes this

#5 DaLink

DaLink

• Members

Posted 31 May 2015 - 01:19 PM

1.) What are your expectations, needs, and requirements of either, or both, testers, and advisors?

2.) If there is a project page, and description, that would also be good. I'm willing to help, conditionally. I won;t blindly jump aboard, or commit to something that would set expectations that I cannot genuinely meet.

3.) One of my own conditions, is that I'd need to set up a constant mirror, so that the quest is not again terminated due to data loss; and some kind of system for cooperative development (including a versioning scheme that everyone understands, and follows), if that's what you want out of advisors.

I'd be happy to provide server space for mirrors of the files, and packages, to ensure that actually happens.

4.) If you want scripting, and want your contributors to write those scripts, there would also be some limitations; and a specific understanding that making ZScript is a 'free time' activity. (I know well-enough now, that 'a while' to me, is 'forever' to younger people.)

5.) Purely as a tester, I;d want to add one or two utility scripts to the project, to make reporting errors easier. (They do not affect gameplay in the slightest.) These report errors directly to allegro.log, for easy recording, and documentation. It's what I do for all of my projects now, and it's a g-dsend.

1.)Expectations:

For testers-

• To note errors and glitches. (obviously)
  • To play specific areas told by me for testing

For advisors-

• Give me advice on dungeons
  • Help improve on things in certain areas
  • Give opinions on dungeons or sprites

Needs:

For testers-

• To be able to play certain areas and find bugs I can fix.

For advisors-

• Be friendly and give good criticism
  • Give nice tips and advice

Requirements:

For testers-

• To be an intermediate or expert gamer (depends on skill of ZC games)

For advisors-

• To have a basic understanding of ZC (in case you wanna change some things for me)
  • Just be nice

2.) There is a project page for it, "Ganon's Resurrection Reborn" Ok, if you wanna join or not, I'm fine with that.

3.) Ok, seems like a good idea. If you wanna join, I'll PM you an alpha build. NOTE: Some out of place things are there for testing purposes. (Such as Map 1, Screen 00)

4.) Yes, that would be somewhat helpful. I will ask only when necessary and wait for it politely. Take your time. I am a patient person for my age and time passes so fast that I don't realize I've been doing something for an hour.

5.) Seems interesting.... I'll send you the quest script buffer if you're willing to do the role of advisor.

Thank you for offering.

Edited by DaLink, 31 May 2015 - 01:20 PM.

• SyrianBallaS likes this

#6 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:09 PM

count me in bro, you definitley know what your doing. Or at least have a solid design plan.

I consider myself an expert, I can give advice on what to do and help you through it (I'd have to look myself for specifics)

I'm almost always busy though, I just wanna make sure this quest gets realized.

(some had good design, but bad general release)

I can help with algorithm analysis, for optimized code but not the actual functions (ZScript is like straight up ASM/C, I use disassemblers for that)

Tester and adviors are the same thing to me, which ever one you want to put me in is fine with me.

To me, a strict advisor is more like a supervisor but it's all good.

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 31 May 2015 - 02:40 PM.

#7 DaLink

DaLink

• Members

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:39 PM

Perfect. Once I get the desired number, I will PM all of the beta testers and advisors an alpha of the game. I'll probably have a walkthrough document for the game and plan the dungeons and plot points months in advance.

#8 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:43 PM

Perfect. Once I get the desired number, I will PM all of the beta testers and advisors an alpha of the game. I'll probably have a walkthrough document for the game and plan the dungeons and plot points months in advance.

I love the way you think, are you an engineer? Or trying to be one?

AGILE manifesto

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 31 May 2015 - 02:44 PM.

#9 DaLink

DaLink

• Members

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:53 PM

I love the way you think, are you an engineer? Or trying to be one?

AGILE manifesto

Nope, just a person who like to plan things strategically.

#10 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:56 PM

f my own conditions, is that I'd need to set up a constant mirror, so that the quest is not again terminated due to data loss; and some kind of system for cooperative development (including a versioning scheme that everyone understands, and follows), if that's what you want out of advisors.

If you want scripting, and want your contributors to write those scripts, there would also be some limitations; and a specific understanding that making ZScript is a 'free time' activity. (I know well-enough now, that 'a while' to me, is 'forever' to younger people.)

Purely as a tester, I;d want to add one or two utility scripts to the project, to make reporting errors easier. (They do not affect gameplay in the slightest.) These report errors directly to allegro.log, for easy recording, and documentation. It's what I do for all of my projects now, and it's a g-dsend.

I didn't even read this but I suggested it as well,

in the ag.cfg there's an option to open ZConsole when starting Zelda Classic. It can tell you which scripts are running, and if a script is running when it shouldn't. (looks like cmd prompt)

Nope, just a person who like to plan things strategically.

I think we're gonna get along fine, even if you're not an engineer the same concept is used everywhere.

#11 DaLink

DaLink

• Members

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:00 PM

Due to school, I might be busy for the next 3 weeks. Time available on weekdays: 6:00am-7:30am & 2:30pm-10:00pm

Time available on weekends: 7:00am-Midnight.

Edited by DaLink, 31 May 2015 - 03:02 PM.

#12 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:33 PM

I'm in my 4th year at college, used to work 50 hours a week. Trust me I know what busy is, school is a higher priority.

Advisors/Beta testers can skype IM with me or PM me on Zelda Classic if you don't have skype.

Suggestion: Google Hangouts is a lot better than skype (through experience not knowledge), if you have gmail or any google account it can be used. It can be used directly where you read emails. Plus you can get 15 GB of cloud storage free.

P.S: I don't work for Google

edit: if you're worried about tracker scripts, there's this thing called Ghostery for firefox that blocks all the known ones. Also something the prevents redirects.

edit2: don't take my word for it, decide for yourself

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 31 May 2015 - 03:39 PM.

#13 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:46 PM

1.)Expectations:

For testers-

• To note errors and glitches. (obviously)
  • To play specific areas told by me for testing
For advisors-
  • Give me advice on dungeons
  • Help improve on things in certain areas
  • Give opinions on dungeons or sprites
Needs:

For testers-
  • To be able to play certain areas and find bugs I can fix.
For advisors-
  • Be friendly and give good criticism
  • Give nice tips and advice
Requirements:

For testers-
  • To be an intermediate or expert gamer (depends on skill of ZC games)
For advisors-
  • To have a basic understanding of ZC (in case you wanna change some things for me)
  • Just be nice
2.) There is a project page for it, "Ganon's Resurrection Reborn" Ok, if you wanna join or not, I'm fine with that.

3.) Ok, seems like a good idea. If you wanna join, I'll PM you an alpha build. NOTE: Some out of place things are there for testing purposes. (Such as Map 1, Screen 00)

4.) Yes, that would be somewhat helpful. I will ask only when necessary and wait for it politely. Take your time. I am a patient person for my age and time passes so fast that I don't realize I've been doing something for an hour.

5.) Seems interesting.... I'll send you the quest script buffer if you're willing to do the role of advisor.

Thank you for offering.

That sounds good to me, so feel free to invite me as an advisor in the QPDB. For the record, I did search for it on the projects page, before I posted that. My comment, should be taken literally, except it seems I left out a relative linking verb, because here, the statement would complete itself:

'If there is a project page, and description, that would also be good [to link that in this thread].'

If you are on Skype, that is my preferred means of working with projects one-on-one; or one-with-many. You may feel free to add me to your contacts, and send the quest file, scripts, and any docs that you feel I may need.

If you are not on Skype, you probably should be. :P

(If it's a problem for the present, you may send me a PM with links, but Skype is the best way to handle two-way, or multi-way discussions in text form with other PZC users.)

Tester and adviors are the same thing to me, which ever one you want to put me in is fine with me.
To me, a strict advisor is more like a supervisor but it's all good.

I'm not too keen on the 'advisor' term either. 'Contributor', would be more apt, and far more logical, particularly as 'advisor' on PZC grants no special permissions to add/update anything in the DB.

Advisory roles, usually involve instruction, not direct work, in the real world; but PZC is nowhere near there.

What is your initial goal in this regard?

I didn't even read this but I suggested it as well,

in the ag.cfg there's an option to open ZConsole when starting Zelda Classic. It can tell you which scripts are running, and if a script is running when it shouldn't. (looks like cmd prompt)

I think we're gonna get along fine, even if you're not an engineer the same concept is used everywhere.

Too bad that script names aren't stored as vars that you can return in the available builds, but watch out for the next RC for better error reporting.
I was going to make a function that would display the running script names on the screen, but until there's a way to return them, or store them in a string, that can't happen.

I'm in my 4th year at college, used to work 50 hours a week. Trust me I know what busy is, school is a higher priority.

Suggestion: Google Hangouts is a lot better than skype (through experience not knowledge), if you have gmail or any google account it can be used. It can be used directly where you read emails. Plus you can get 15 GB of cloud storage free.

P.S: I don't work for Google

edit: if you're worried about tracker scripts, there's this thing called Ghostery for firefox that blocks all the known ones. Also something the prevents redirects.
edit2: don't take my word for it, decide for yourself

I allow zero scripts to run by default, and must manually enable both scripts, and connections one at a time. With Google, that too much of a pain to bother, because their chat servers constantly change. Add running behind a VPN to that, and add in other network masking, and their stuff just does not work.

So, in a nutshell, I don't use Googleware, if I can avoid it. Their mail client is horrible (can't open messages in individual tabs by right-clicking...give me a break...) , and they make evil interfaces that they change at the drop of a hat, and force you to adapt; with software that needs to run a thousand browser scripts to operate at all.

Does that service even have logging, to disk? I'm betting on a 'no' there, and I wouldn't want to lose a discussion, be unable to archive it, and such, because of their mad notion of that 'our way is the best, and we give you no choices when you use our products'.

I could also comment again on my sentiment regarding data clouds, but I think everyone here knows by now that I hate them with a passion. (I'm a server administrator, with my own servers, and access to several other servers in four countries, with su privileges on most of them. I don't need to, nor shall I ever trust my datum, to their cloud as a first-line of preservation; nor would I trust any datum that could include anything sensitive to a cloud; including my full name, and location.

I'll also admit right here, that if a project like this needed an advanced structure for sharing source code, the only way to go is GitHub, or something similar, built for software engineering.

If participating here, would require me to use, and thus keep a Google service open in a tab at all times, I'll pass. I detest what they've done to YouTube, Google+ can jump off a cliff, and they'd better stop cross-linking like a parasite into every net service in the world before I decide to write something very evil to malign them.

P.S. I further don't like what Microsoft have done to Skype, but it's a more reliable service, with rather useful features; and most PZC members already use the service. ....

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 31 May 2015 - 04:05 PM.

#14 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:48 PM

my skype is just my name Samer Charif/scharif01@outlook.com

I don't use it often, but i'll use it for this.

I got hangouts on my phone, that's why I suggested it. I don't like working with skype, but I can use it.

I block fools, so I'm not too worried about leaving it here

It requires cookies too, that's why I don't like it as well

I'm just gonna use my facebook to sign in, it'll be eaiser on all of us. It'll use skype, but I'll notifications

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 31 May 2015 - 03:59 PM.

#15 DaLink

DaLink

• Members

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:28 PM

my skype is just my name Samer Charif/scharif01@outlook.com

I don't use it often, but i'll use it for this.

I got hangouts on my phone, that's why I suggested it. I don't like working with skype, but I can use it.

I block fools, so I'm not too worried about leaving it here

It requires cookies too, that's why I don't like it as well

I'm just gonna use my facebook to sign in, it'll be eaiser on all of us. It'll use skype, but I'll notifications

My skype name is Ben Davis/blonic11233@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users