spriters-resource.com

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:16 PM

Found a cool site, not sure if people know about it. http://www.spriters-resource.com

Here's a really cool selection of custom Zelda sprites: http://www.spriters-.../zelda/customs/

I was looking up some sprites to be inspired with as I was going to come up with a few new Hero sprites for fun and I found this. Some of the stuff on there is really neat to look at, especially their custom stuff. Check it out!

#2 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:43 AM

I've gone to their site many times, but unfortunately, most of the time I've found it very difficult to get their sprites to work in Zelda Classic. icon_unsettled.gif Most of them are intended to have the system designed around *them,* so fitting them into an engine with rigid requirements is problematic.

There definitely are some good sprites in there, though, if you have a good eye for what will work in ZC. Some are prime starting points for custom edits, if you have some skill in that regard. Also, if you employ all the newer features, you can make more of them work as-is, with a little elbow grease.

Here's one that might have potential in the newer versions of ZC, largely thanks to being modeled after old school Zelda:

http://www.spriters-...ile=lozlink.png

Oldskoolmario is a user who has put out quite a lot of graphics I've liked, actually...

#3 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Sep 24 2008, 12:43 AM) View Post

Here's one that might have potential in the newer versions of ZC, largely thanks to being modeled after old school Zelda:

http://www.spriters-...ile=lozlink.png

Oldskoolmario is a user who has put out quite a lot of graphics I've liked, actually...

Yeah I like that version of Link. They did a good job with him. I like how he looks. I also like the redone version of Link from Adventures of Link too.

It looks like a lot of the custom sprites on there are made for fighting games or something? It's weird.

#4 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:27 AM

just about all of them are meant for peoples Super Smash Bros fan games, which should be a crime and people should be executed for any more badly drawn characters meant for ssb fan games. No offense, but there are too many and they all clash with each other.

However, I DO like the Chrono Trigger based Link which is also by Oldskoolmario, and would use them if they had everything for a ZC game(jumping, slashing, stabbing, swimming, casting, etc.)

#5 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:03 PM

I've been going that site for a long time. It definitely has alot of good resources for ZC, be it sprites, overworld tiles, or dungeon tiles. You just have to have some time to look around and find stuff you like.

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:10 PM

I use that site all the time. I'm creating a rip set right now, and SR is where I get most of the tiles that I rip in.

#7 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:19 PM

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaster Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

#8 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:03 PM

Cool, well I'm glad everybody uses the site. I'll be sure to rip some stuff from there in the future. And I hope anybody who hasn't been there before, will check it out. icon_slycool.gif

#9 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:55 PM

I've gone there for a while, I remember when they were 20xfireball or something like that. Like, I remember when they bought their domain. I also remember when Toadkarter tried to leave.

BadAssBill, Bean, and TonberryTK (sp?) are probably the best spriters there.

I don't however like their forums. BlaBlaBla Pixeltendo sux blablabla whining about M3's ban blablabla....

Edited by Powerbracelet, 24 September 2008 - 04:56 PM.

#10 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:53 PM

I can't even begin to count all the stuff I've gotten from that site. Of course though, many times I've been there, I simply just can't find what I'm looking for... Which sucks, but whatever. There's still some pretty awesome stuff there. icon_cool.gif

#11 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:34 PM

Well I rally like how there are many sprites on this site but some are pretty useless to me except the background screens. Probably because I'm not a fan of ripping Non Pre-ZC Ripped Sprites.

#12 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:42 PM

i really dont think that sites really useful to me the only tile sheet i had from there was the zelda and essences tiles and thats it basically nothing that interesting...maybe because im tooo lazy to covert those tiles to 16 by 16 sheets icon_sweat.gif

#13 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:47 PM

Well I think for me, it's more of an inspiration than anything. To see other people's ideas and their custom made stuff. It would help me take the inspiration into whatever I was doing into ZC.

#14 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:57 PM

the custom made link sprites are very good though but the other sprites and maps??? ahhhhh to complicated! lol thinking about it makes me wanna stop making my quest out of laziness icon_biggrin.gif

#15 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:23 AM

QUOTE(octorok @ Sep 24 2008, 06:03 AM) View Post

Yeah I like that version of Link. They did a good job with him. I like how he looks. I also like the redone version of Link from Adventures of Link too.

Everybody always says it plural... just one "Adventure," dude.

QUOTE(octorok @ Sep 24 2008, 06:03 AM) View Post

It looks like a lot of the custom sprites on there are made for fighting games or something? It's weird.

What's really popular is to take sprites from a game that you like and use them as a template to create characters from another game in that style. It's artistically a lot easier than drawing from scratch. It seems the most popular titles for this are Chrono Trigger, Fire Emblem, Ragnarok Online, and... er... Mega Man 7?... Go figure.

QUOTE(Alestance @ Sep 24 2008, 09:27 AM) View Post

just about all of them are meant for peoples Super Smash Bros fan games, which should be a crime and people should be executed for any more badly drawn characters meant for ssb fan games. No offense, but there are too many and they all clash with each other.

However, I DO like the Chrono Trigger based Link which is also by Oldskoolmario, and would use them if they had everything for a ZC game(jumping, slashing, stabbing, swimming, casting, etc.)

My biggest complaint about the site is the same for pretty much all fan-drawn or fan-ripped spritesheet databases:

The sprites are never, EVER aligned to a grid of any kind. This includes either making them match an invisible grid of 16x16 tiles, or simply drawing the size and shape of the sprite border around each animation frame. The reason this sucks hardcore is because whomever decides to use the sprite has to figure out how each frame of animation is supposed to be aligned during ripping. This is not only an enormous waste of time, but it lets in the possibility of badly-interpreted animation and a decay in quality. icon_shrug.gif

There's also the problem of extremely inefficient palette design, but a lot of fan games simply settle for higher system requirements and rip the palettes in as-is to make it easier on the game's development. This does often lead to clashing color schemes, though...

Anyway, I have a feeling that most sprite sheets just end up sitting around for people to look at, say "waoww cool!!!11", save them to their hard drive, and then do nothing with them. It makes me glad that my graphic submissions get at least a little use when I submit them to the database here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users