Photo

Would it be a bad idea...

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:41 PM

Since the 2.11 betas have the Classic Set recolored perfectly, I started on making a tileset for 2.10 that's nothing more than the Classic Set with the coloring of the 2.11 betas, since the Classic Set on 2.10 and lower are miscolored. Would it be a good idea to submit it to the database or should I leave well enough alone?

#2 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:54 PM

Leave well enough alone...

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ Feb 1 2007, 08:54 PM) View Post

Leave well enough alone...

First off, I would like to say...
WHO ASKED YOU?!?!
Oh wait. I did. Oops.

But anyways, you don't have to be so rude about it. Any chance you could expand upon that? (and no flaming; remember, you just came off a ban!!!)

#4 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:12 PM

Well, that could be because the palette can just be ripped from a screenshot, instead of wasting space on the server with a whole new tileset. Unless, it's going to be more than just the palettes, in which case I say go for it.

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ Feb 1 2007, 09:12 PM) View Post

Well, that could be because the palette can just be ripped from a screenshot, instead of wasting space on the server with a whole new tileset. Unless, it's going to be more than just the palettes, in which case I say go for it.

Well, there isn't a database on here for palettes, or else I would just submit the palette. Regardless of whether or not people want me to submit it, I'm finishing it anyway for my own use. Oh, and it's no more than the palettes.

#6 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:22 PM

I say go for it, but call it a "fix", to make it clear that that's ALL it is.

#7 Hunter P Brown

Hunter P Brown

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:46 PM

Uh, The Satellite, please re read the part in the rules about rent a modding. If you need to report something, PM a moderator to let us handle it instead of taking it into your own hands, which usually results in rent a modding. Thanks.

#8 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:13 AM

Could you post some pictures as examples?

I'd say I'm too lazy to set up those various versions and check them myself, but... dangit, I'm not lazy. I spent a good 20 minutes creating visual examples the last time I wanted advice. Now, I don't mean to sound judgemental, but you'll get better feedback if you include pictures to explain what you're talking about... icon_wink.gif

As for palette submissions, you could do something like this. I included some tiles that were necessary to take advantage of the new palettes, but the majority of the content in this submission was palette work. As long as there is SOME new tile content, it's a valid loose tile submission. Hopefully people will judge it for what it's meant to be.

#9 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:03 PM

You could do what MoP did: Create new tiles for it. I know I did. I did houses and some new weapons.

#10 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ Feb 2 2007, 05:03 PM) View Post

You could do what MoP did: Create new tiles for it. I know I did. I did houses and some new weapons.

...no. Dude, we just want to fix the 2.10 colors so they look like the NES game, not make new tiles too.

#11 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Feb 1 2007, 09:09 PM) View Post

But anyways, you don't have to be so rude about it. Any chance you could expand upon that? (and no flaming; remember, you just came off a ban!!!)

QUOTE(Hunter P Brown @ Feb 1 2007, 10:46 PM) View Post

Uh, The Satellite, please re read the part in the rules about rent a modding. If you need to report something, PM a moderator to let us handle it instead of taking it into your own hands, which usually results in rent a modding. Thanks.

Ooh, sorry. I didn't mean to sound like I was rent-a-modding, I just meant to point that out. My bad.
QUOTE(Old-skool @ Feb 1 2007, 10:22 PM) View Post

I say go for it, but call it a "fix", to make it clear that that's ALL it is.

So, basically, I could name it "Classic Tileset Palette Fix," or something like that? Makes sense.
QUOTE(Radien @ Feb 2 2007, 02:13 AM) View Post

Could you post some pictures as examples?

...Well, that's just the thing. I'm not close to finishing it, but I can make some screenshots for side-by-side comparison (like 2.10's current palette compared to the actual palette) sometime soon.
QUOTE(Old-skool @ Feb 2 2007, 06:50 PM) View Post

Dude, we just want to fix the 2.10 colors so they look like the NES game, not make new tiles too.

That's exactly the point of what I'm doing. I'm not making any new tiles, but just fixing the palettes.

So I guess it's settled. When I'm finished with it, I'll submit it as the "Classic LoZ Tileset Palette Fix." I implore you to help me come up with a better name. icon_lol.gif

#12 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Feb 2 2007, 04:05 PM) View Post

Ooh, sorry. I didn't mean to sound like I was rent-a-modding, I just meant to point that out. My bad.

So, basically, I could name it "Classic Tileset Palette Fix," or something like that? Makes sense.

...Well, that's just the thing. I'm not close to finishing it, but I can make some screenshots for side-by-side comparison (like 2.10's current palette compared to the actual palette) sometime soon.

That'd be great. icon_thumbsup.gif You see, I was unaware there was any difference.

Personally, I'm also in favor of updates to the Classic set that don't increase the number of colors used, just tweak it a little. Not many people make good Classic quests anymore, though.

#13 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:38 AM

How about:

LoZ Tileset: How Nintendo made it

Sounds good to me icon_smile.gif

#14 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:20 PM

Okay, got some pics. These first two are the top-leftmost screen in the original game, the first one is how it looks in 2.10, the second is how it should look.
How it looks in 2.10
How it should look
Here is the start screen, showing the difference in Link's colors.
How he looks in 2.10
How he should look
Finally, I threw in the screen right before level 1.
How it looks in 2.10
How it should look

As you can see, everything is darker in the original tileset.

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ Feb 3 2007, 11:38 AM) View Post

How about:

LoZ Tileset: How Nintendo made it

Sounds good to me icon_smile.gif

icon_badrazz.gif
Just kidding.

I'm thinking more like:

"The Classic Tileset Palette Correction" or something along that line. The only differences are colors, so the name you suggested seems to suggest a totally new style of the classic tileset, not just a recoloring.

Classic Tileset: The REAL Palettes... I like that one. I think I'll use it. Feedback?

EDIT: The Classic Tileset: The REAL Palette. That's what I called it, and submitted it to the database. If tomorrow is a normal day, it will show up then, as well as an update to my Princess Zelda tiles. The package includes the palette, the graphics pack, and the first quest with the palette attached to it.

Edited by The Satellite, 03 February 2007 - 07:35 PM.

#15 Bix

Bix

Junior

• Members

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:09 PM

Well, saw it on the database, and people are rude. Apparently, they think it doesn't take any effort at all to go into every palette and recolor every single color, so they voted low. Hey, CastChaos and I both gave you a five, and at least Pokegamer1989 and skateboarder11 gave you a two, instead of zero.

Ugh, that's just lame. The recoloration is beautiful. Other than CastChaos and I, so far, apparently most people don't see the difference in color. Well, the future yields more voters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users