Photo

Ripping a SNES Palette?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:11 PM

Aside from manually selecting colors via screenshots, how would one go about ripping a palette from a SNES (or GBA) game? I'm not really aware of the ROM hacking tools available for this, if there are any, but I would like to rip FFVI' entire palette for use in an art project. /:

#2 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:39 PM

I'm pretty sure there are sprite mapping tools (applications that form the code of the rom into 8x8 sprites and lay them out for you) that also detect palletes, but...since there are so many palletes in a single game and since no particular pallete is associated with any particular sprite...I imagine this wouldn't be very practical.

#3 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

Yeah I've used sprite mapping utilities before but they always ripped the sprites in a greyscale palette. ):

#4 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

Well, here's how I'd go about it.....

1. Take a snapshot of the area with the palette you want to use.
2. Open the screenshot up in an image editor and view the palette to see what's there.
3. If the colors you need consist of one or more tidy rows of 16 colors, and the screenshot is 16- or 256-color, open it up in ZC and rip the palette into CSets.
4. If the colors you need are NOT all neat and orderly, isolate the colors on-screen. Reducing the number of colors may work if all of the colors are in use on the screenshot you took. After reducing, you'll be able to rip it, though the color order may be messy. You'll have to restructure it in a way that will make sense for your quest.
5. Regardless, you will have to recolor tiles you rip. Sometimes the "Recolor" option will work. Other times you may need to color it manually.

I hope that helps. It really depends on your image editor and what features it has/how it works.

#5 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:25 AM

Thanks Radien but that's similar to what I do with Photoshop. I suppose I was just hoping to find a magical, easy way out of it. :/

#6 lucas92

lucas92

Defender

• Members

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:00 PM

Take a snes emulator, save a state of your game at the exact place where you want that palette (if you don't, it's not that bad actually). Dowload yy-chr, open the rom and open the save state in the palette button. You'll get the exact palette as it was used in the real game.

Or just follow this tutorial:
http://www.spriters-...tut/yychr-snes/

Edited by lucas92, 07 August 2010 - 02:01 PM.

#7 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:17 PM

That works. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

#8 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:16 AM

QUOTE(Mr. Pimpy @ Aug 7 2010, 12:25 AM) View Post
Thanks Radien but that's similar to what I do with Photoshop. I suppose I was just hoping to find a magical, easy way out of it. :/

If there's a tool that can do it more easily, I don't have it. :/ The problem is that ZC has specific needs that most image editors don't cater to. The closest to do so is Graphics Gale, but I've learned how to handle it in Paintshop, so I just do what I already know.

I'm glad Lucas92 found a better way. I'm not entirely sure what he's saying but I may try it sometime to see how smooth it is.

#9 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:59 PM

Oh, Lucas92's link isn't really what I was describing but it takes a lot of steps out of my usual way of doing it which is good. I'm thinking I'll just stick with the original NES palette though, since making swatches is tedious and I already know a lot about the NES' palette rules and limitations...

It isn't for ZC btw. icon_razz.gif

Edited by Mr. Pimpy, 12 August 2010 - 11:02 PM.

#10 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:14 AM

QUOTE(Mr. Pimpy @ Aug 12 2010, 08:59 PM) View Post
Oh, Lucas92's link isn't really what I was describing but it takes a lot of steps out of my usual way of doing it which is good. I'm thinking I'll just stick with the original NES palette though, since making swatches is tedious and I already know a lot about the NES' palette rules and limitations...

It isn't for ZC btw. icon_razz.gif

icon_doh.gif I overlooked the part where you said it's for an art project.

But knowing that, I'm not sure what your specific needs are.

#11 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:36 PM

Haha, it's ok. It's kind of complicated to explain but I'm going to try to make non-pixel digital art based on system palette groups and restrictions by using a grid structure and stuff. Plus I like stealing game palettes and using them for my pixel art.

...ok well I guess it wasn't that complicated to explain.

Edited by Mr. Pimpy, 13 August 2010 - 10:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users