The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#31 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:55 PM

Knowing Greezo, they won't update the music for this game either...

Sad, because I'd like them to orchestrate the songs more.  Kinda like I did for this: 

https://www.youtube....h?v=-kocGLWdACA

Edited by thepsynergist, 05 November 2014 - 11:55 PM.

#32 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:29 AM

Maleboocado, I imagine the 3DS/Wii U remakes are indeed a money grab... to obtain more funding for development of the next proper Zelda game. ie: it's like Kickstarter except you immediatly get something awesome in the process.

Edited by franpa, 06 November 2014 - 11:00 PM.

• Avaro likes this

#33 Tabletpillow

Tabletpillow

Hi

• Members

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:11 AM

Wished they'd remake another game like Link's awakening. I mean MM is too similar to Oot, which also had a 3ds remake.

But I'm okay with it. The moon looks a lot more creepy now. :) 

#34 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:40 AM

I'm not that much of a Majora's Mask fan, and I'll admit, a part of me is glad that this was finally announced so that we don't have to put up with "Majora's Mask 3D confirmed!!!!1!1!!11!one!!!" articles. But this was announced after the MM3D hyped died down. I wonder if that was intentional or not. And because of that, a part of me wants to say "well played", but another makes me want to strangle Nintendo for bringing in the MM3D hype again. :P

But in all seriousness, I'll probably will end up getting this like the Zelda fanboy I am since I'm not big on the recent or upcoming 3DS titles (not much of a gamer as I used to be). Uh, I wonder what new additions will be made, considering OoT3D got a boss rematch system and a hint system. But the thing is, Majora's Mask already has the ability to relive boss battles and most of us know how to beat Majora's Mask. And yes, I'm aware of them hinting minor updates to the gameplay, but I'm kinda expecting something new added, not to be confused with changes.

The Great Bay Temple Boss now has an eye in its mouth? It looks kinda ew, it looks bizarre in a negative way, but now that's just nitpicking, lol.

*anticipates Majora's Mask 3D articles*

• Jared and HavoX like this

#35 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:16 AM

Wished they'd remake another game like Link's awakening. I mean MM is too similar to Oot, which also had a 3ds remake.

But I'm okay with it. The moon looks a lot more creepy now. :)

I can't even think of a good metaphor for how much I disagree with this.

I mean, graphically, sure.  But apart from that, the games are nothing like each other.  Ocarina of Time is your standard older Zelda adventure where the world and NPCs aren't really at all fleshed out but the bread and butter of the game is dungeon crawling and that's why you booted up the game; whereas Majora's Mask is a lot more atmospheric regarding the lives of NPCs and hell, entire cultures, dealing with their personal troubles and seeing how they act and change over the course of the three days.

Honestly, to me there's a big dividing line between the two games- Majora's Mask really felt like the start of the Zelda series maturing more, in a sense of giving you a world that the player would feel more attached to, as I've felt similarly about Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.  You end up spending way more time with people's personal troubles than you do mucking through dungeons.  The characters aren't just shackled with a basic emotion or two and the same couple lines of dialogue-  they're colorful, wacky, animated, motivated, and/or have a sense of purpose.  When I think of the NPCs from OoT, I find myself remembering, "Eh, your alternate self in MM was way more interesting and probably even had a name!"  I think a big part of this is because a lot of the quests aren't tied to the main plot, and that these characters have their own lives and troubles outside of the whole moon problem.  You have the jealous music man, you have Romani worrying about the aliens, you have the old lady who's going to get mugged, the dancers who don't have a routine, a hot-headed Deku King, and a lot more.  Heck, some of the antagonists of the game are completely independent of the main villain and do evil stuff based on their own desires.  On the flip side, Ocarina of Time's struggles pretty much revolve around, "Ganondorf is kind of a dick."  Skullkid does some awful things, and there are some things with horrible implications (the Deku Butler's son is an infamous example) but the NPCs don't exist for the purpose to be shown how evil the villain is.  That's already constantly staring at us when we're outdoors.

It's not to say that OoT didn't do well with its setting- seeing how much the lively market has been ravaged with redeads (and if you notice, they still have some humanity left, as they'll crouch near a redead you kill and start trying to sob), how the forest you called home is in utter chaos, and how Kakariko Village has become the last bastion of "nothing bad here" until "oh shit we're on fire" are pretty dramatic changes and work well.  But it's simply not the driving force of the game.  OoT has a lot of dungeons and some of them are the best in the entire series, but outside of that, there isn't much else.  Majora's Mask has fewer dungeons, and although I'd say they're well designed, the meat of the game is really what goes on outside of them.

...All that said and done, a Link's Awakening remake using ALBW's engine would be pretty damn awesome.  Imagine how much fun they'd have trying to preserve all the bugs and glitches from the original.

Oh and yeah I'll probably pick this up, I ate a tiny but extreme Zelda fan as a snack one day and they've controlled my decisions ever since.  I'm sure once again that the US box art will be complete shit as usual.  Europe gets the cool box art, every time.

• LinktheMaster, Russ, Shane and 5 others like this

#36 Maleboocado

Maleboocado

Gotta go fast!!!!!11

• Members

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:07 AM

Franpa: Yeah, that was one way I interpreted it.

But it still bugs me that Nintendo has basically prioritized the home console Zeldas without regards of the portable games, as in a portable console is limited to "lesser", " cheaper" products. A portable console can be the ideal target for things like WarioWare/Rhythm Heaven or Donkey Kong '94. But the original Game Boy had a Kid Icarus game, it had a Metroid game, it has several Mario games of diferent lenght and pacing, and it had several Zelda titles. The similarities between what is a home console and a portable console are so big that even some portable-exclusive series have made a switch to home consoles as is nothing is wrong nor needa to be changed/translated at all (Wario Land).

Using cheap remakes to fund your core project is one thing. Using cheap remakes of original home console games and release nearly all of them on a portable console, after products like Phantom Hourglass, while you put everything you have in the "next big (ohme console) Zelda game" is another thing, and this is what I am asking: why the unfair treatement, why the lack of respect towards the portable series?

Scootaloo: I really love your post. You have basically explained one idea I have slowly made and rewritten many times in my mind and (most of the time) kept to myself.

Ocarina of Time is the classic fairy tale of good versus evil. It's the story of epic quests and challnges, heroes coming from lower classes and overcoming everything. In these type of stories, the only people who exists are the rulers and wise ones. In Ocarina of Time's case, it means the holders of the Triforce and the Six Sages. The rest of the world is just a theater, a scenario for their power struggles and romantic loves. Ocarina of Time simply did not care for its world. It did not care for its physical places and human beings, and they only were visibilized when the script requires it (translation: when the white hero needed it). Ocarina of Tine is both a very charming game when treating Link and Zelda's love interest and a very cruel game in regards of NPCs.

Majora's Mask is the complete opposite. It's the story of the common people, the losers who will never appear in history books because nobody cares for them: the thief, the dead, the isolated kingdom in the far side of the swamp, the guy at the cucckoo farm, the postman. All the people in Termina could share the same tragic doom, but their stories were still very real, and very local and spatial, and too important to ignore. Like you said, Ocarina of Time did not even care to gave names to many of its NPCs. The Anju of Majora's Mask is just the Cuckoo lady in Ocarina of Time. Link spends far more time in acting like a private detective than as the romantic one-man army from the earlier game, but Majora's Mask still treats him as an actual hero, an actual vulnerable man (the Deku mask). Link is treated as a well-around fighter capable of everything, but in Majora's Mask his skills are always relative to other people.And unlike Ocarina of Time, the main story in Majora's Mask is just the game's opener and ending. Everything between it is subject to change.

Edited by Maleboocado, 06 November 2014 - 08:10 AM.

• strike, Jared and HavoX like this

#37 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:09 AM

Damn it Nintendo, stop remaking shit already... >_<

Won't be getting this, MM is my least favorite of the bunch.

Edited by Freya, 06 November 2014 - 09:13 AM.

• HavoX likes this

#38 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:33 AM

What I'm wondering is if we'll see some sort of flipped-world Master Quest like in OoT. I hope so, really.

I am actually going to play MM on VC now :D

#39 HavoX

HavoX

Has more posts in Doomworld than in PureZC

• Members

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:45 AM

I'm going to be honest here. I'm actually glad (and not suprised) Nintendo finally announced a remake of MM, so people can stop bitching and moaning about it not happening.

My opinion stands as called, though. Zelda games were about exploration without any worries; but when you're being forced to stop the moon from crashing Termina ASAP, the entire point of this mechanism is reversed. Yes, I know you can reset the time to Day 1 with the Song of Time, but that doesn't change my opinion... you lose all Rupees that have not been deposited.

Edited by HavoX, 06 November 2014 - 10:54 AM.

• The Satellite and Shane like this

#40 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:18 AM

I'm sure we'll get a reversed Master Quest mode for MM3D. Or at least, I'm hoping! 

#41 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:45 AM

I'll be honest, I've never been much of a Majora's Mask fan to begin with and is probably somewhere in the middle of my favourite Zelda games (probably ranked 8th or 9th IMO) since it has a couple problems and I was never really immersed into the game, but I'm kinda excited for this remake.

At least some people can finally shut up with "OMG MAJORA'S MASK CONFIRMED!! THIS ISN'T MM3D? IT SUCKS". Will hopefully get this when it comes out.

• The Satellite and HavoX like this

#42 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:04 PM

On the subject of remakes, like I mentioned in a previous post, I really am not too surprised either. I'm glad too, but I'm glad cause I've wanted this for a minute now. However, my point is, I would not be at all surprised if they re-released TP on the WiiU. Hear my out first: The two N64 games have been remade on the portable 3DS. WW was already remade for the WiiU out of nowhere, so, I would not be surprised if they gave their other GameCube IP an HD reboot. "What about the handhelds?" you might be asking yourself. I'd love to see a remake of LA, and the Oracle Games, but I don't know about this. I can see them doing LA before OoX, simply because OoX came out on the 3DS' VC last year. Minish Cap is also on the WiiU's VC, so I dunno if we'll be seeing remakes of any of those this generation.

#43 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:34 PM

Upgraded port =/= Remake

BTW, I started Majora's Mask today in my Wii, I don't need to wait for this port to enjoy one of the best games ever one more time *o*

Edited by Air Luigi, 06 November 2014 - 04:35 PM.

• Russ likes this

#44 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:25 PM

I still have my holographic gold cart of MM, and I love it.  Still getting the 3DS version though, because emulation still needs work on the PSP.

#45 Tabletpillow

Tabletpillow

Hi

• Members

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:04 PM

I can't even think of a good metaphor for how much I disagree with this.

I mean, graphically, sure.  But apart from that, the games are nothing like each other.  Ocarina of Time is your standard older Zelda adventure where the world and NPCs aren't really at all fleshed out but the bread and butter of the game is dungeon crawling and that's why you booted up the game; whereas Majora's Mask is a lot more atmospheric regarding the lives of NPCs and hell, entire cultures, dealing with their personal troubles and seeing how they act and change over the course of the three days.

Honestly, to me there's a big dividing line between the two games- Majora's Mask really felt like the start of the Zelda series maturing more, in a sense of giving you a world that the player would feel more attached to, as I've felt similarly about Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.  You end up spending way more time with people's personal troubles than you do mucking through dungeons.  The characters aren't just shackled with a basic emotion or two and the same couple lines of dialogue-  they're colorful, wacky, animated, motivated, and/or have a sense of purpose.  When I think of the NPCs from OoT, I find myself remembering, "Eh, your alternate self in MM was way more interesting and probably even had a name!"  I think a big part of this is because a lot of the quests aren't tied to the main plot, and that these characters have their own lives and troubles outside of the whole moon problem.  You have the jealous music man, you have Romani worrying about the aliens, you have the old lady who's going to get mugged, the dancers who don't have a routine, a hot-headed Deku King, and a lot more.  Heck, some of the antagonists of the game are completely independent of the main villain and do evil stuff based on their own desires.  On the flip side, Ocarina of Time's struggles pretty much revolve around, "Ganondorf is kind of a dick."  Skullkid does some awful things, and there are some things with horrible implications (the Deku Butler's son is an infamous example) but the NPCs don't exist for the purpose to be shown how evil the villain is.  That's already constantly staring at us when we're outdoors.

It's not to say that OoT didn't do well with its setting- seeing how much the lively market has been ravaged with redeads (and if you notice, they still have some humanity left, as they'll crouch near a redead you kill and start trying to sob), how the forest you called home is in utter chaos, and how Kakariko Village has become the last bastion of "nothing bad here" until "oh shit we're on fire" are pretty dramatic changes and work well.  But it's simply not the driving force of the game.  OoT has a lot of dungeons and some of them are the best in the entire series, but outside of that, there isn't much else.  Majora's Mask has fewer dungeons, and although I'd say they're well designed, the meat of the game is really what goes on outside of them.

...All that said and done, a Link's Awakening remake using ALBW's engine would be pretty damn awesome.  Imagine how much fun they'd have trying to preserve all the bugs and glitches from the original.

Oh and yeah I'll probably pick this up, I ate a tiny but extreme Zelda fan as a snack one day and they've controlled my decisions ever since.  I'm sure once again that the US box art will be complete shit as usual.  Europe gets the cool box art, every time.

I meant graphic wise. Sorry I forgot to mention that... I mean Oot and MM both use the same graphic engine...

I wasn't too big with the whole "4 day" time limit. Hope they'd extend it in the remake...

Edited by a30502355, 06 November 2014 - 07:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users