Photo

What is considered a high-quality 1st quest remake?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chl

chl

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:24 AM

Hi
I've been for the last year making a first quest remake using the DoR tileset (and boy was it hard to make the mountains look right icon_razz.gif ).
Yesterday I finaly finished the overworld and am now about to start making the dungeons when I read the submission rules.
They say that you only accept high-quality remakes and I like to know how that is dicided. It would be realy sad if all my work making a different zoned overworld with some artisticly changed screens that has been in the works for so long should go to waste.

#2 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:32 AM

It means it shouldn't be the exact copy of 1st quest with some little changes. The exact same layout with a new tileset isn't something that we need. So, keep the theme of the dungeons but make them bigger and more advanced. A good example is a quest which is the first quest, except the map is rotated 90 or so degrees. Seems like people loved that. Also, there is Requiem for Hyrule (in the FQotM thread, not in the database) which is really new style while still being a 1st quest remake.

#3 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:56 AM

download Origin and to a lesser degree: 1st quest revamp to see some high quality 'remakes.'

#4 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:48 PM

It shouldn't be a remake at all. It should be a "reinvisioning," as DFW said in the Origin description.

#5 Captain Magenta

Captain Magenta

Senior

• Members

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:43 AM

A high quality remake would be something that I would imagine would only loosely represent the overworld from the original Zelda, but would have to have absolutely beautiful and or unique graphics and design to compete with all of the other remakes and reinventions out there, and the dungeons would have to be redesigned internally so that they would present a new and unique challenge. As Castchaos said, just pasting better graphics over the original game layout will not be accepted into the database as a valid remake and will likely garner little interest anyway as it has been done so many times already by others. As far as I am concerned, Shadowfall's and DFW's Origins quests set a very high bar for a reinventing of this quest and unless you can top it, there's no point in attempting another remake.

A small original quest with a unique storyline and dungeons that are similar in scope to the first quest can be successfully accomplished; just look at Mudvayne's Power Of Gedunia which felt very much like the first quest in scope but was nothing like it in terms of it's layout and execution. Don't be discouraged about feeling like you wasted your time on a quest that will not be accepted; rather use it as a practice run and take what you have learned and incorporate it into a new and original effort. Often when you are forced to scrap tiles, maps, or other ideas you will see things from a new angle and can improve upon them, which can make what seems like a setback actually work your favor.....

#6 chl

chl

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:25 PM

Well, Radiens Masterquest for example, uses the exact same oveworld, but with some extra content and new dungoens and it got accepted.

My quest will be kinda like that but with an even more changes to the world (in a good way I hope), so I think I will finish this and see what you think about it.

Edited by chl, 25 November 2007 - 07:25 PM.

#7 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:07 PM

Radien's Master Quest wasn't really intended to be a first quest remake, rather, was a "3rd" quest.

#8 chl

chl

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ Nov 25 2007, 07:07 PM) View Post

Radien's Master Quest wasn't really intended to be a first quest remake, rather, was a "3rd" quest.

Um, what's the difference? icon_confused.gif

#9 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:12 AM

First quest remake will loosely interpret the 1st quest, while a 3rd quest is how the author would add a new set of dungeons to the overworld.

Basicly 1st remake is to 1st while 3rd is to the author.

#10 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:45 PM

Exactly. Would you say that the 2nd quest is EXACTLY the same as the 1st Quest? No. Albeit they're similar, things have moved and changed.

#11 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:27 PM

Pheh, a high quality 1st quest remake... I say, as long as the overworld looks decent, and the game is as fun if not more fun than the first quest, it's of good quality.

#12 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:30 PM

Origin

#13 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:01 PM

well, I wouldn't call Origin a 'true' remake, since its so loosely based on the 1st and 2nd quests. I really tried to take it in new directions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users