Zelda Classic 2.11 Beta 12.9

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

#16 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:51 AM

Hmm... well first I was just as disappointed as Freedom. I hate the fact that I have to learn some programming to make my quests as good as possible, and there are some other features that I have no idea how they work as people can't, or just will not explain them.

But then I realized: You can still make awesome quests without these new revolutionary features, and that's all that matters to me. It's great that some people who understand this complex stuff are given a chance to take their quests to another dimension. I guess I'm a bit mad and even jealous about it that I will never be able to use ZC's engine to its fullest as it has gotten way too complex for an average person like me, but maybe some day a good tutorial or even a tutorial quest is released which explains all this stuff so that even a monkey understands it. But even if that doesn't happen, this new beta is so awesome that I wonder how anyone could keep their hands off of it and stop ZQuesting.

You developers are doing great job! ZC is getting better all the time even though it gets harder to use, but I won't complain. As koopa said, all the old features are still in there, so no need to get too upset or anything. I could selfishly declare "I don't want any new features that I don't know how to use!!", but what's the point? All these new features are making ZC better and gives us zquesters freedom to do almost anything we want. Now we just need that full and bugfree ZC release so that ZQuesting will be tons of fun again like it was in the days of 1.90. icon_wink.gif

#17 trip i fall

trip i fall

Magus

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:19 AM

That sfx thing will be PERFECT for my Oracle quest. I now just need to figure out how to use itand what format it takes.

Once Tayuka comes out with a mac version, of course.

#18 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE(Peteo)
... maybe some day a good tutorial or even a tutorial quest is released which explains all this stuff so that even a monkey understands it.

Actually, I've been considering doing that myself. Does anyone know if anyone else was already planning to do it, though? I've looked around ZCU a bit, and haven't seen any mention of it.

#19 jman2050

jman2050

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:43 AM

Koopa is working on a manual that'll cover everything in the new ZC. Just be patient.

#20 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:01 PM

While I'm making the official manual, anyone wanting to write a tutorial is most welcome, be it at Pure, ZCU or AGN. Same goes for "general-purpose" scripts.

#21 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:07 PM

HOLY FREAKING YEAH!!!!!
icon_wow.gif icon_wow.gif icon_wow.gif icon_wow.gif icon_wow.gif icon_wow.gif icon_wow.gif icon_wow.gif icon_wow.gif icon_wow.gif

WHAT A BREAKTHROUGH!
From this day forward, Zelda Classic should no longer be considered just a customizable Zelda game. IT IS A ZELDA GAME MAKER!!! IT IS GOING TO BE FREAKING AWESOME!!!

*starts dreaming of Mega Man, Metroid, Mario, and any other games that could be implemented to this version*

Any falling animation, yet? I think it can be implemented easily. All you have to do is step on a certain combo (say, pit-direct warp). And Link does an animation from the Link Sprite animation window that's under the Quest File.

Either way, I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS AS MUCH AS I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THE WII AND SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL!!

#22 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE(jman2050 @ Sep 5 2006, 06:43 PM)
Koopa is working on a manual that'll cover everything in the new ZC. Just be patient.

View Post

Woohoo, splendid news!
All right, I try to be patient... icon_rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(saffith)
I've looked around ZCU a bit, and haven't seen any mention of it.

Huh? ZCU has finally been reviwed? That'd be great as I thought the place died long time ago...

#23 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE(Peteo @ Sep 5 2006, 06:51 AM)
Hmm... well first I was just as disappointed as Freedom. I hate the fact that I have to learn some programming to make my quests as good as possible, and there are some other features that I have no idea how they work as people can't, or just will not explain them.

But then I realized: You can still make awesome quests without these new revolutionary features, and that's all that matters to me. It's great that some people who understand this complex stuff are given a chance to take their quests to another dimension. I guess I'm a bit mad and even jealous about it that I will never be able to use ZC's engine to its fullest as it has gotten way too complex for an average person like me, but maybe some day a good tutorial or even a tutorial quest is released which explains all this stuff so that even a monkey understands it. But even if that doesn't happen, this new beta is so awesome that I wonder how anyone could keep their hands off of it and stop ZQuesting.
You developers are doing great job! ZC is getting better all the time even though it gets harder to use, but I won't complain. As koopa said, all the old features are still in there, so no need to get too upset or anything. I could selfishly declare "I don't want any new features that I don't know how to use!!", but what's the point? All these new features are making ZC better and gives us zquesters freedom to do almost anything we want. Now we just need that full and bugfree ZC release so that ZQuesting will be tons of fun again like it was in the days of 1.90. icon_wink.gif

View Post

I guess I sound ungrateful, but I haven't spent the last two years beta testing just because it was fun, I wanted a stable release, which has never come, and the focus seems to be on adding more and more, instead of getting to a stable release, and I can tell by the way things are going, when this "stable release" comes in December, it's going to be far from stable, because everyone that's testing now, aren't testing, they are playing with the cool new features.
As of the 7th of this month I won't be opening Zelda Classic anymore until some time next year, I'm going to be spending all my extra time getting my house in order to put it on the market by April, and getting my trucks in tip top shape, as well as packing up a complete small engine business to move too, I have a hunch when I do finally have time to open it again there still won't be a bug free stable release to finish the quests I've started in.
More isn't always better.

#24 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE(Freedom @ Sep 5 2006, 12:57 PM)
I guess I sound ungrateful, but I haven't spent the last two years beta testing just because it was fun, I wanted a stable release, which has never come, and the focus seems to be on adding more and more, instead of getting to a stable release, and I can tell by the way things are going, when this "stable release" comes in December, it's going to be far from stable, because everyone that's testing now, aren't testing, they are playing with the cool new features.
As of the 7th of this month I won't be opening Zelda Classic anymore until some time next year, I'm going to be spending all my extra time getting my house in order to put it on the market by April, and getting my trucks in tip top shape, as well as packing up a complete small engine business to move too, I have a hunch when I do finally have time to open it again there still won't be a bug free stable release to finish the quests I've started in.
More isn't always better.

View Post

Well, maybe they're adding on first and then ironing out the bugs. Also, if many people are going to pay attention to the new features, then the new features won't be bugged, right? Because, there's no point in adding new features if they're too buggy to be of use.

#25 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE(Animus01 @ Sep 5 2006, 02:10 PM)
Well, maybe they're adding on first and then ironing out the bugs. Also, if many people are going to pay attention to the new features, then the new features won't be bugged, right? Because, there's no point in adding new features if they're too buggy to be of use.

View Post

Thing is... there hasn't been a stable release for over two years. "Features first, bugs later" has been the policy in effect for that long... and yet the fruit of that labor was 2.10. Everytime it has looked like that will change, it reverts back to what it was before. I almost ripped my hair out with the last Christmas release (until it was switched to public testing). icon_razz.gif

Don't get me wrong... I'm very excited about the scripting and the other new features as much as anyone else. However, I probably won't be able to make a complete quest with it for quite some time due to the huge backlog of bugs that still need to be found and removed in ZC. Won't keep me from toying with it, though.

In ZQuest's current state, I can't even make/take tiles from external sources due to how utterly ignored the grabber is. If the code for it is that bad, rewrite it! icon_razz.gif

Edit: I realize I seem to be jumping back and forth on the fence, but as I said: the new features do excite me. I'd be happy with a focus on stability at this point, though.

#26 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:47 PM

Hmm... hey you guys, if I have understood correctly, the focus now is on finally busting all the bugs from ZC.
http://www.armageddo...ead.php?t=93245

So no new features until a stable ZC version gets released, and that shouldn't be that far away. And that means all of your worries are unfounded. But I'm no developer so what do I know. I still have a lot of faith though... that this time the stable release will really happen.

#27 elise

elise

RIP Elise, 7/20/2011 - 49 Years Young.

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:57 PM

Petoe it's more the version they use to make a stable version from .........I understood today that thats the one they released yesterday the real big bugged one icon_shrug.gif
So before that one is stable icon_confused.gif

#28 Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Master

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:00 PM

I agree with Freedom. ZC is supposed to be a non-complex gamemaker. Which was the reason why I enjoyed it. But ever since Freeform combo scripting was implemented, I haven't really touched Zquest at all. I really don't want to learn C+. Unless this tutorial is as simple and easy as Alphadawgs, I think I'll have to move onto something. Problem with ZC is that.....well first off, a main page that has been down with no real good updates since 2 years WILL back a newcomer off. I know things happen but there should be more than just a 2 or 1 people working on a very glitched site. And the fact that no one commented on it until 1 and half years later kinda bugs me. I could have done it but I never really visited AGN that much then. It's been said several times that we should stop adding new features and just start working on bugs. As the current set up is add a chockful of features and not pay attention to bugs until later. I don't have experience as a programer but adding a ton of things could seriously screw up the program your working on if your not taking your time. It worked like this in the earlier verisons until 2.10 where not much effort was put into. Then after that, we add a ton of features, more than we ever have before. Maybe add a new thing here or there after fixing up all the current bugs.

#29 jman2050

jman2050

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:09 PM

then I guess we can prove everyone wrong by making a stable release. Reason beta 12.9 is so buggy is precisely BECAUSE we stopped adding new features. We were adding new features to beta 13 until we determined that people wanted a stable release. Thus, we stopped active dvelopment on new features. The ONLY new feature besides scripting language additions that will remain once we fix the bugs in this beta is the dialogue editor, and that's because not only is it highly requested, it's neccesary.

And let me just say that the scripting option is just that: an option. You still don't eed to know programming to use Zelda Classic. Trust me on that.

#30 elise

elise

RIP Elise, 7/20/2011 - 49 Years Young.

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:19 PM

Jman2050 yes please prove us all wrong .......believe me we all would love that more then anything icon_smile.gif
It would be great to have a stable version and see questmakers making quests again , and questplayers having a great time playing them icon_wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users