• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

#1 Dethl

Dethl

@

• Members

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:35 PM

Is sitting on the bench in the park.

This is a breakthrough. It's not a letter!

#2 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:51 PM

Custom SFX inside the editor, ZScripting Engine based on C, Custom Item editor ( Not fully matured). Congratulation to the ZC Programmers.

#3 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:53 PM

Yeah, I know. Jman said it would a bit buggy.

#4 Sacred Nym

Sacred Nym

Wizard

• Members

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:44 PM

OMG ITEM EDITOR

*dies*

#5 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE(Questions @ Sep 4 2006, 08:44 PM)
OMG ITEM EDITOR

*dies*

View Post

MAKINGS of an item editor. You still can't put the new items in the subscreen, and currently they crash the game. I believe there is much work to be done with this

On that note; O M F G YES!!!!

#6 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:05 PM

*runs around in circles, dies, comes back to life, and celebrates*
OH MY GOD!!!!!!111 icon_omg.gif
This is awesome! Now, I don't need to keep the sfx grabber!
I still don't understand the scripting, but then again, I have no expierience in programming whatsoever. icon_wink.gif
And although the item editor isn't done yet, it's very impressive!
Congrats to the devs!!!!!!!!!1111oneoneone icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

#7 randy

randy

Senior

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:05 AM

That item editor is going to be a great help for my quest as well as having a counter for anything I want. (giant's knife and biggoron's sword here I come).

#8 Snarwin

Snarwin

Still Lazy After All These Years

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:08 AM

icon_drool.gif

...the sheer awesomeness of this defies any attempt at description. Hats off to the developers, I say!

#9 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:56 AM

I find this thread too funny.
It was hard enough to make a decent quest to completion before, that's why you see maybe 2 a year that really stand out, now with having to learn to program c on top of that it will probably be 1 good quest every two or three years, and you guys fall all over yourselves saying how great it is.
Personally I think ZC has been ruined for the average person, and since I'm about as average as they come, it has blown right by me.

Personally I've become more and more disapointed with it over the last several months, I started Beta Testing with the 193A3 because I wanted a solid release, which never came, and now with the scripting being added, which I don't know a damn thing about, it's become a still buggy and now over complex program that I've lost all desire to use period.

I've already logged out at AGN, and following this post, I'll log out here too, maybe in the future when I have two years to waste learning to program in C and C++ maybe I'll look in again, but in truth, if I'm going to go that far, why not look for something in 3D too....

Anyway, it was fun while it lasted.
I wish all of you the best. icon_wink.gif

#10 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:31 AM

I don't really understand why you are so mad about it Freedom. I understand what you are saying, but look at it this way. The scripting is just there for the people that know how to program. It is to make them happy. The thing is you don't have to use scripts at all. They have added so many features to help make quests that much better. Now, I am not a pro at scripting and I haven't even touched it thus far. But I will take a look at it and try it out, but I don't have to. I can still make a kick butt quest without the features, but for those that can use them, it just gives them a little more. Some people want ZC to advance, some want it to stay the way it is. And I think they are doing their best to keep everyone happy.

About the stable release. I do believe that the devoplers will make a very stable release in December or even sooner. I think everyone has told about it so much that they are aiming for it. I really believe that it will be the most stablest release in ZC history. I know you have been waiting a while, but I really hope you can wait 3 months. You know that I look up to you. I think your quests are unique. You have a passion for them that not a lot of people have. So if your ZC career is over, then I have to say is thank you. Honestly if it wasn't for your quest Search for Elise, I don't think I would have finished HoD. I wish you the best in the future, on whatever you choose.

But on topic. My favorite feature is slash->next. This is something that I have wanted so bad when I was making HoD. Now, I can make every screen without setting up the secret combos on the grass tiles, bush, pots, etc. I am excited about that because of the puzzles too.

#11 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:15 AM

To Freedom: yes, it's got a lot harder to use all features because there are so many more of them. But we haven't removed the old ones, you know. You can make a quest using your old yet still good methods and it'll still run.

About stability: I want 2.11 stable as much as anyone. The target is to get it done by the end of this year. If you want to help betatesting (you could stick to the features you know already, to those old bugs that really should be fixed because they've been in for ages) you're still welcome as I know you know a LOT about ZC. (Btw, I just fixed the old bug where the hookshot handle could kill bosses - I think. So you see those bugs are still being worked on)

To everyone:
user posted image
Select one combo, press C for copy, select a whole bunch and press CTRL-V to activate. For instance, you can copy just the tile or just the walkability.

Edited by koopa, 05 September 2006 - 05:16 AM.

#12 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:17 AM

I'm not "mad" shoe, I'm fed up.
I've been beta testing since long before 2,10 came out, and then the 2.10 itself was rushed out without it ever being tested, and look at it.
I feel I wasted all that time, since I can't do much with the 2.10 because the shops cripple a quest, let alone the other bugs.
I started beta testing because I wanted a SOLID release, and in over two years of it, it still hasn't come, and with all the new half finished stuff being added, I'm to the point I just don't believe it will ever come, after a while you just lose faith.

I seldom have made requests for features to be added, and out of the couple I did, it was the sfx sounds to be added so they could be used with individual screens, well now it is, and you have to SCRIPT it in there.
I haven't got the time to set down and learn programming right now, and there still isn't an available release that will allow me to finish the three quests that set half finished in a folder in my computer.

Mad?
No I'm not mad, I don't have the right to get mad, but fed up I can do. icon_wink.gif
I keep hearing that a stable release is coming been hearing that for years now, but starting with the b12 they are the buggiest most unstable releases I've ever seen.
I'm getting afraid to even put them in my computer.

#13 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:58 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!
LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

Although I'm happy with this coming out, I'm going to stick with 12D until the bugs are fixed. Nothing can force me to change right?

#14 Banedon

Banedon

Adept

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:44 AM

I'm really happy about there being a scripting language, I thought that's what ZC has needed. As I have experience in programming, I shouldn't have too much trouble learning it compared to all the many dirty tricks used in the past.

#15 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE(Freedom @ Sep 5 2006, 06:17 AM)
I seldom have made requests for features to be added, and out of the couple I did, it was the sfx sounds to be added so they could be used with individual screens, well now it is, and you have to SCRIPT it in there.
I haven't got the time to set down and learn programming right now, and there still isn't an available release that will allow me to finish the three quests that set half finished in a folder in my computer.

View Post

Hmm. Someone could probably make a general purpose script that would be commented enough for an average joe to edit the sfx slot number and that be it. Of course... just adding something in the screen data would always be better.

But yeah. I can sort of understand the frustration. While I find the programming language exciting, I know that beta 12.9 has pretty much spelled doom for anyone who was comfortable with ZC being a simple program. It's true that people don't have to use the scripting language, but it's also true that development of actual features and user friendliness will probably decrease unless people decently comment public scripts. If PureZC gets a scripting database in the future, that's probably going to be one of the requirements: decent comments that are understandable.

(Please note that I've not looked into the scripting language that much yet, so I'm just assuming variable assignment is about the same as C. Also note I'm used to C++ rather than ordinary C).
CODE
int sfx_slot_thing = 1; /* Edit this value to change the sfx slot used. */

int randomvalue = sfx_slot_thing + sfx_slot_thing; /* Ignore this. It doesn't do anything useful. */

(I didn't know if constants were acceptable or not... as I would have just made a constant variable if that were the case).

When (if) I dive into the scripting more, I'm planning to make some general purpose scripts that would just require the user to edit very few things in a similar style to the example (that is not functional ZScript code) I gave above. The user would just have to edit that one number in the line of code.

Oh... and a warning to everyone. Don't even touch the grabber in this beta if you are doing something important... which you shouldn't be doing in this beta anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users