The Legend of Zelda - The Tower of Dawn

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#46 JetBox

JetBox

Wizard

• Members

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

Keep on working. This game is looking great!

#47 Laprabi

Laprabi

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

Okay here's a few screenshots of Level 7. Look familiar?

IPB Image

IPB Image

I basically stole these graphics from the MMDWR tileset because I didn't want to use dungeon graphics for this.
This is only a small fraction of the level, and if you thought Level 6 was evil, this level is only slightly less evil, as there is a lot of exploration involved.

Edited by Laprabi, 29 March 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#48 Laprabi

Laprabi

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

Okay, began planning for Level 8, and Level 7 is taking ages to make... I might have to make a map for this level, it's really long and confusing and I can see all but some of the most determined players giving up on it, that is if they haven't already given up at Level 6.

Also done gauntlets for the Magical and Master Swords, Magical Sword gauntlet is fairly easy, the Master Sword one is exactly the opposite of easy.

#49 Laprabi

Laprabi

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

Bumping, and added a backstory to the quest. It explains what the Tower of Dawn actually is, as well as doing something other than throwing the player straight into the game with no explination as to what you have to do. You're not given much explination anyway, but for Levels 1 and 2 they are the only places in the area you can go to. Level 3 requires more exploration, as do Levels 4 and 5. When you find Level 6, it's fairly linear to Levels 7 and 8, then finally 9.

I'm still working on Level 7 by the way. It's so long and difficult..

#50 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

Nice to hear the progress! :) Keep it up.

Yeah, I know about making a long level! My level 8 ended up spilling over 3 different maps and multiple DMaps. Luckily, I finished it a while ago. ... It makes me wonder exactly how long your level 7 is!

BTW, you might want to set up a Quest Project for your quest. (It's all the rave, these days!) It's a great thing for questmakers as it has special areas for different aspects of your quest, like an area where people can post comments on your screenshots and an area where you can upload demos. If you got the time (and you're not too near completion of your quest), it would be a good idea to set one up.

Edited by Lightwulf, 27 May 2013 - 09:50 AM.

#51 Laprabi

Laprabi

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

^Thanks for the feedback.

That's a good idea, because I'm gonna revamp Levels 2 and 3 because I don't like the way they turned out. And possibly Level 5 too, as it's really short. Level 2 is really long for a Level 2, and it's gimmick makes it harder than it needs to be. Level 3 is just annoying, so I'll change it because I don't like the way it's turned out.

Levels 1, 4, 6 and 7 when it's completed aren't going to be changed because I like the way they've turned out. Level 1 is a good introduction, Level 4 is a two-part Level which I really like, but the enemies are a bit difficult.

Level 6 is just evil and horrible, but I'm not changing it because it's got the game's first real challenge even if it is just really confusing. If anyone gives up on this quest, it will probably be here. I've added a warp from the start which can be activated when you get the dungeon item though so if you die on the boss you don't have to go through the whole level again. I had this problem when I was testing it.

Yeah Level 7 is currently using 3 different D-Maps for 3 different floors to the Level. It's taking ages and it'll be really long to beta-test too. I might release a demo too actually, just of the first three levels or so.

#52 JetBox

JetBox

Wizard

• Members

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

That's great. I love how you are making the levels hard and not just a fluke like some quests. I am glad you are still working on this, as it looks like a great quest. Keep up the great work.

#53 Laprabi

Laprabi

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

I appreciate all the feedback I get with this project, so thanks :)

I'm currently redesigning Level 3. I'm almost fully done with it, but I like the way this has turned out far better than the old Level 3. Also the Bait is far easier to find, as it's required for later and very little hints at this until you actually reach where it's needed. Previously it was really difficult to find, at least in my opinion. I may add something that actually tells you this later.

Edited by Laprabi, 29 May 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#54 Laprabi

Laprabi

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

New Level 3 is now completely finished and I really like the way it turned out. I'll post some screenshots soon.

#55 Laprabi

Laprabi

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

Well well, that was horiffic, but Level 7 is almost finished. It's taken me over a year from planning to even close to finishing it, but Level 8 is planned now and I still have to start planning Level 9, but I'll do that once everything else is finished.

All I can say about Level 7 is that it is evil. It's taken me this long to design it and it's almost finished, I just have to finish all the rooms but the basic layout is there. I've also made a few changes to Level 1 to make it slightly less linear, but you can still do it in the intended way just fine.

Appologies for my inactivity, but I've had a lot of things to do and designing a game on top of all that is very difficult.

#56 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

Well, from the screenshots I've seen, this is looking really great!

I'm getting really hyped to play through this whole thing once it's done. And Level 7 is evil is it? Challenge accepted lol.

#57 Laprabi

Laprabi

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

Well, from the screenshots I've seen, this is looking really great!

I'm getting really hyped to play through this whole thing once it's done. And Level 7 is evil is it? Challenge accepted lol.

You might regret that decision lol, Level 7 is evil. It's non-linear, involves a lot of backtracking and even when you think you've got all the way through it, you've gotta do more backtracking to get to where you need to be. It's gonna be horrific to playtest, that's for sure, and I know where I have to go.

#58 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

You might regret that decision lol, Level 7 is evil. It's non-linear, involves a lot of backtracking and even when you think you've got all the way through it, you've gotta do more backtracking to get to where you need to be. It's gonna be horrific to playtest, that's for sure, and I know where I have to go.

I won't regret it, trust me lol. I've gone through a LOT of dungeons like this, I've made a couple like that too on my own and it was still a pain to beat. But I think I can manage.

Also, a question: Have you got a release date planned for this?

#59 Laprabi

Laprabi

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

I won't regret it, trust me lol. I've gone through a LOT of dungeons like this, I've made a couple like that too on my own and it was still a pain to beat. But I think I can manage.

Also, a question: Have you got a release date planned for this?

Fair enough haha, well I wish you good luck with it. And with Level 6. Oh God Level 6 was a pain. For completely different reasons. The only saving grace in that Level is a warp to the boss which can be used once you get the dungeon item, but you are afforded no such luxury in Level 7.

And I don't have a release date currently planned for it, it's pretty much 'whenever I think it's finished', I need to do Levels 8 and 9 first though, but Level 7 was the one that I was having the most trouble with.

And I know lol, I saw yours and SCKnuckles' race through that quest on YouTube, the one that's basically the original quest but has 45 or so dungeons. Level 7 is almost as bad as some of the levels in that game, and in my opinion, Level 6 is even worse, because it's confusing and essentially trial and error.

#60 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

Fair enough haha, well I wish you good luck with it. And with Level 6. Oh God Level 6 was a pain. For completely different reasons. The only saving grace in that Level is a warp to the boss which can be used once you get the dungeon item, but you are afforded no such luxury in Level 7.

And I don't have a release date currently planned for it, it's pretty much 'whenever I think it's finished', I need to do Levels 8 and 9 first though, but Level 7 was the one that I was having the most trouble with.

And I know lol, I saw yours and SCKnuckles' race through that quest on YouTube, the one that's basically the original quest but has 45 or so dungeons. Level 7 is almost as bad as some of the levels in that game, and in my opinion, Level 6 is even worse, because it's confusing and essentially trial and error.

Ah alright then. Well good luck in finishing it. Oh and... I dunno if you'll have any beta-testers or something for the quest, but if you'd like, I could participate for beta testing if you like :D

And... you've seen the race with me and SCKnuckles? Wow what a small world lol. I gotta say, Knuckles' trouble in 4-9 got me a huge advantage lol.

Edited by EddyTheOliveira, 23 December 2013 - 03:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users