• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:28 AM

It's that time again, because I said so! icon_smile.gif

Quest Backup Day is something I have resolved to do every now and then. If you browse the forums, you'll notice that every once in awhile, some heartbroken questmaker reports that a project has been canceled because his/her hard drive was fried, and the quest project went with it. Occasionally, a buggy version of ZQuest will corrupt a quest, as well. Given how often this happens, it would be best if you set aside some time TODAY to back up your quest.

Tips for Effective Backups:

Step 1: Turn on the "auto-backup" option in ZQuest. This is NOT the same as a periodic backup, though, so don't rely on it.

Step 2: Save a separate file every few weeks (or days), and name the file according to the date for easy identification. ALWAYS save a new backup ANY time you upgrade to a new version of Zelda Classic, regardless of how much you like the new version.

Step 3: Avoid keeping all of your backups on the same computer. One really good way to avoid the "eggs in one basket" situation is to send a copy to your friends/beta testers/etc. This is nearly fullproof if you ask them to hang on to it.

Tips for Avoiding File Corruption:

Tip #1: If you have auto-backup on, and you suspect that ZQuest just corrupted while saving, DON'T press "OK" when the "saved <filename>" window pops up. If you do, the auto-backup will be corrupted, too. Instead, ALT-TAB to your desktop (leave ZQuest open), find the location of your last backup (it should end in ".QSB"), and rename it before returning to ZQuest. This prevents it from being overwritten. If the file did corrupt, you'll have a recent backup to fall back on. If not, you can safely delete it.

Tip #2: Don't open Zelda Classic or attempt to start a game while ZQuest is saving. If you do, ZC may try to access your save file while it's still being written to disk, thus interrupting the ZQuest save. Usually, saving the QST file again will remedy this, but don't take any chances.

Tip #3: Remember that cutting edge ZC version "builds" are intended for testing, not quest-building. If you use them, you run the risk of file corruption, because they have not been tested for public use. It's best to stick to official "stable releases" for quests you plan to release, or at LEAST stick to the "beta" versions.

NOTE:

If you ever need to open a QSB (auto-backup) file, rename the file from ".QSB" to ".QSU". Now, QSU stands for "unencoded quest," so the filesize should be large. If you open up a QSU file in ZQuest using the "import" feature, you can re-save it as a QST file, which will have a smaller filesize.

If you have read this thread and backed up your quest as a result of it, please post to share what you did to back it up. I would like help encouraging Quest Backup Day. icon_smile.gif It doesn't fall on any specific day of the year, because if it did we'd forget about it, and that's not the point, eh? Anyway, remember to make frequent backups. icon_thumbsup.gif

#2 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:37 AM

Great thread Radien!
Personally, whenever I do anything big in my quest/tileset(s), I ALWAYS make a backup... though, somtimes, it's easy to forget icon_razz.gif

#3 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:47 AM

I remember that last backup day one year ago.

I backup my quest(s?) onto my pendrive every time when I switch my laptop on the first time in the day. I'm using 2.10. I have some earlier versions on my laptop and on my pendrive.
So, am I safe enough?

There was once a time when I needed to backup from my pendrive. At that time, I backupped only rarely, so I lost an overworld revamping and some custom dungeon tiles. So far I never got the mood to recreate them.

#4 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:51 AM

I've got that problem too CC... I managed to close zc without saving (many times) and I never wanted to make everything once more...
So... you're not alone on that icon_razz.gif

#5 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:02 AM

I have all of my quests backed up on a web host and multiple PC's as well. So, I think I'm pretty much covered.

But I like this idea you got Radien. I've seen lots of "My project is over..." threads due to this issue.

Everyone heed this advice. Back up and save constantly!

And happy Back Up day to all. icon_wink.gif

#6 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

Why, must I clean out Old Lady Simmon's Cave?

• Banned

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:07 AM

well I guess I was a day early, but I backed my .qst up on cd! yesterday! Before I added the expanded link! But I can do it today also.

#7 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:48 PM

Funny you should say this, Radien, as I backed up nearly all of my files to two different places on Saturday while I was at work. Plus, I keep a third backup of my quests and some files in my thumb drive, so I'm pretty-much set should my computer explode

#8 Captain Magenta

Captain Magenta

Senior

• Members

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:55 PM

I mentioned this in another thread elsewhere, but something else you can do is export your tiles, palette, combo lists, maps, and anything else that would be extremely time consuming to rebuild from scratch. This way if for some awful reason all of your quests were corrupted, lost, or whatever, you could then open a new quest and import all the saved information into the quest and save it, and though you would have to reset your rules and maybe a few other things like assigning sprites and tweaking other data, it would be far easier and less time consuming than having to rebuild everything from scratch. This information is generally difficult to corrupt and can transfer to newer builds of ZQuest quite readily, and if full color mode is not used may even be backwards compatible. This has been quite useful to me on several occassions when quests have been corrupted or accidently deleted because of whatever ridiculousness I was up to at the time.....

#9 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:03 PM

Good ol' backup day! I really hope that people learn a thing or two from this thread. There's a lot to learn and its not really hard to do any of this.

Besides the obvious Auto-Backup and copies of .QST files, I like to email my projects to myself, so that they're always easily acceessible on any computer(with internet) that I use.

#10 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:08 PM

LoT-backup.qst saved.

Good thing you reminded me Radien, I haven't backed up in a while...

#11 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:36 PM

I'm always backing up my quest files... Especially after what happened to Link's Awakening ZC. icon_sweat.gif I never thought of saving backups on multiple computers though. Thanks for the advice, Radien! icon_smile.gif

#12 Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt

Wizard

• Members

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:45 PM

I copy my quest file on my computer and flash drive every time I edit anything in ZQuest. icon_wink.gif

#13 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:59 PM

Great thread Radien. It is a very good reminder. *Goes to backup quest to internet, and watches as computer crashes halfway through, permenatly corupting file*. Just kidding, of course. But people, seriously, don't ignore this thread. Just take the few minutes to back up your quest.

#14 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:10 PM

Great advice.
And, every day should be backup day icon_biggrin.gif
because earth day sucks

#15 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:18 PM

Heh, personally I back up to another file every time I do something big. Which usually consists of anything above the level of about making a new DMap.
I'm a saveaholic when it comes to things like this; in Pokemon I used to find myself saving about every 30 seconds.

But, with the amount of times my files been corrupted recently (gotta be at least 15+) it really is worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users