Photo

I'm going to practice custom spritework.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:56 PM

16x16 objects are easier. icon_razz.gif I'm too lazy to make boss sprites for myself, let alone do random requests.

#17 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(ziplobob2 @ Mar 17 2007, 04:53 PM) View Post

Why do you try? icon_odd2.gif Make somthing useful like a Helmroc King sprite.

Because every great spritist in the world started somewhere.

For a beginner, I think you're doing quite well so far.

#18 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:11 PM

If you want the helmaroc king sprite, go get it yourself. He's busy spriting wiis for me.

#19 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE(ziplobob2 @ Mar 17 2007, 06:53 PM) View Post

Why do you try? icon_odd2.gif Make somthing useful like a Helmroc King sprite.

1: I am not ready to do anything bigger than 16x16 yet (if you couldn't tell by the 32x32 GCN above)

2: I'm just drawing these to try to get better. Maybe someday I'll be able to draw a Helmaroc King Sprite for you.

QUOTE(Exate @ Mar 17 2007, 06:57 PM) View Post

Because every great spritist in the world started somewhere.
For a beginner, I think you're doing quite well so far.

1: Thanks Exate.

2: I'm not really a beginner. I've been working at trying to get better at pixel art for a couple of years now.

EDIT: Anyhow, I tried to draw a key. It looks like it's really flat because it's suppossed to be made out of cardboard, for some reason.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Edited by Revfan9, 17 March 2007 - 07:20 PM.

#20 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ Mar 17 2007, 07:39 PM) View Post

IPB Image
IPB Image

Taking from what Sharon said... I attempted it as well, and you can see what happened. Maybe because I have a black outline? Heh. I like the way the left one looks, but it doesn't seem to have any perspective. The one on the right has perspective (barely), but it doesn't look as nice. Heh.

First off, let's stop working in the darkness. Let's put in a nice little background color to separate our item from the background. It's not going to appear when you lay the object down on top of a layer. Secondly, use colors that are not exactly "green" or exactly "blue". Mix the effects together to a point where the object flows within the the object, and afterwards it flows with the setting you're going to put it in. Third, let's establish what's what from what differently; instead of using a mix of shades on each side, use the white on top, a medium gray to where the Wii ends horizontally, and the dark gray for the Wii stand(without the black). The darkest gray and black can be used for borders; I recommend not going "borderless" until you know enough to create a palette in which items can stand out on their own without black lines(which I am working with on one project right now).

Finally, this should help: http://www.natomic.c...mpat/index.html

#21 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:35 PM

Well, I tried to follow Linkus's advice, but I don't think I quite understood it, so forgive me if I got it completely wrong.

IPB Image

#22 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:45 PM

You're almost there. Just eliminate the two interior lines that separate the dimensions(make it shorter where the black lines are as well) on the Wii. Then, take the second gray and eliminate it; the third gray will be enough for the front. After that, it should be done.

Also, you don't need black or very dark lines to separate everything such as angle changes on an object; just certain situations such as very severe color changes and layered objects(one object on top of another, but counted as one object).

EDIT: fixed a few things.

Edited by Linkus, 17 March 2007 - 07:45 PM.

#23 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:57 PM

Again, I didn't exactly understand what you were trying to say. Here it is...

IPB Image

#24 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:02 PM

I think it looks better Revfan9. Good work. Now how about the PS3?

#25 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:15 PM

PS3? Okay...

IPB Image

Note: The suck is intentional. The PS3 does not deserve to look good. Olo.

Seriously: I played around with that "Paper key" a bit, and now it looks like this:

IPB Image
IPB Image

#26 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 March 2007 - 03:15 AM

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ Mar 17 2007, 07:15 PM) View Post

PS3? Okay...

IPB Image

Note: The suck is intentional. The PS3 does not deserve to look good. Olo.

Seriously: I played around with that "Paper key" a bit, and now it looks like this:

IPB Image
IPB Image

Lmaowned.

Hrm, I can't see what you were trying to do to the key here... unless giving it more edges like modern keys today.

#27 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:25 AM

You've got some traces of good technique showing in the book and the Wii in particular, but I think you're trying too hard to make those shading lines line up exactly. On the contrary, I'd recommend going for fewer repeating patterns and gradients.

To learn good spritemaking, you should occasionally just put a pixel somewhere out of place to see how it looks. If it works, try to continue the "thought" in that direction. Objects generally aren't so perfectly shaped that they use exact gradients. Try to add imperfections into your textures and see what happens. Also, study the textures in other good sprites that match your style, and glean what you can about what makes various textures look the way they do.

#28 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:18 PM

Played around with the Wii a bit to try to remove the black outline, and made a Wiimote as well. I think it turned out nicely for my first attempt without a black outline.

IPB Image

#29 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:31 PM

The Wii looks okay, but the Wiimote is too big. The bottom part of the Wii should actually be darker. It's supposed to be black IRL, so that mid-grey doesn't work too well.

#30 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:46 PM

IPB Image
IPB Image

Okay, but I think I screwed up somewhere. It looked just fine before, but now it looks more like a pink tampon than a Wiimote. I think I messed up on the proportions somewhere. Any help on this one?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users