Photo

TS's Video Game Rants

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#46 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

Sonic '06 is a possibility, ya know assuming I want to play it again. Which considering the lineup of other games I got to play right now, I'll pass. >.>

#47 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

Sonic '06 is a possibility, ya know assuming I want to play it again. Which considering the lineup of other games I got to play right now, I'll pass. >.>

That's cool. I would really like to hear an actually solid opinion on it rather than someone just insulting it because it's bad.

• Jared likes this

#48 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

That would be pure torture to play and write about, I'm sorry but there is nothing the whole world that is worse then that piece of crap Action 52 was even better then it.

I personally disliked ET, Action 52 and Superman 64 more than Sonic '06. Yes, the physics were all over the place, and yes, the story is legendary, but it's far from the worst game ever.

Edited by Nexas, 20 June 2014 - 03:30 PM.

• Shane likes this

#49 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

Yeah, at least you can play Sonic 06. :P

#50 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

Oh I might tackle it in the future, just that I have a few games on my plate right now I'd need to tackle first. Games with quality. *glances at Lost World* ... for the most part.

#51 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:33 PM

I actually couldn't play sonic 06, the game was way to buggy to play I couldn't even get passed the first area of the game :|

#52 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

Oh I might tackle it in the future, just that I have a few games on my plate right now I'd need to tackle first. Games with quality. *glances at Lost World* ... for the most part.

I understand. Go and play some normal games before you go and pick up some pure insanity. :blah:

#53 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

That's cool. I would really like to hear an actually solid opinion on it rather than someone just insulting it because it's bad.

So I could give you a solid opinion. It wouldn't be an opinion you like, but it'd be a solid opinion. :P
  • Haylee likes this

#54 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:37 PM

Has any Sonic game ever been playable? :toast:

#55 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:18 AM

So I could give you a solid opinion. It wouldn't be an opinion you like, but it'd be a solid opinion. :P

Exactly, that would indeed be a mature way of handling things.  :D I like it when discussions happen with solid evidence and opinions, it just makes the world a funner place to live. ^_^

• Shane likes this

#56 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:22 AM

Well, I'm kinda neutral about this game. I've played worse. But from my personal experience, during my childhood I had encountered zero problems with the game, and I had enjoyed it. Mind you, when you're a kid, your standards are freakishly low and I somehow managed to not find the very brutally obvious bugs that I acknowledge today. I would love to hear actual opinions rather than "Even X game is better!" or "It's unplayable and glitchy!". Was there any poor level design choices? Any story elements that you dislike? Surely you have something else to add.

#57 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:43 AM

"Let's be fair, at least now you're not required to beat every level with every character to unlock the final area. But to do so, don't forget to get every gold flag, green star, and the new stamp collectible as well, or you won't unlock World Crown!"

That paragraph contradicts earlier part of the paragraph which states you DO have to complete every level in order to unlock the final stage. Alternatively the last sentence should be re-written to make it clearer what it's talking about if it is trying to explain what you're meant to do to unlock the level and how that differs from being needed to beat the game 100%.

Also I'm not a fan of the 16 directional movement in Super Mario 3D World, I've played it for a bit and am kinda eh... a bit concerned about me struggling because of the controls making it harder to move exactly how I want to move unlike every other 3D mario game where movement is much more granular and precise. I hope this doesn't become a trend in future Mario games.

Edited by franpa, 22 June 2014 - 12:49 AM.

#58 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:13 AM

"Let's be fair, at least now you're not required to beat every level with every character to unlock the final area. But to do so, don't forget to get every gold flag, green star, and the new stamp collectible as well, or you won't unlock World Crown!"

That paragraph contradicts earlier part of the paragraph which states you DO have to complete every level in order to unlock the final stage. Alternatively the last sentence should be re-written to make it clearer what it's talking about if it is trying to explain what you're meant to do to unlock the level and how that differs from being needed to beat the game 100%.

Ick, that last sentence is weirdly worded, I'll get on that. However, it's not contradictory, I just said you don't have to beat every level with every character to unlock the final area.

#59 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:03 PM

Yeah, much better now ^_^

#60 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

Megaman 2

Oh boy, here it comes. This is the one I expect to get the most flak from, but you know what? Hell if I care. This game has so many issues I don't even know where to begin. Maybe I'll begin with the hype train fanboys that swear by this as the best game in the entire Megaman series, who would look at you funny if you suggested otherwise, who would say this is the finest game ever crafted by mankind.

Folks, I'm about to tell you how this game's more overrated than Ocarina of Time.

Now before I continue I'd like to say that I do like Ocarina of Time a lot and only say it's overrated because, while very good, there are just quite a few games that precede and follow it that I feel were vastly superior, but in that sense, Ocarina of Time has no real crippling flaws or blatantly shoddy game design. "Neither does Megaman 2—" YOU SIT DOWN AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH WHILE I PROVE YOU WRONG, VOICE IN MY HEAD IMITATING MEGAMAN 2 FANBOYS.

Normally when I write a rant, I tend to wing it and do things from memory, usually with the game fresh on my mind. With this game, I replayed it and took notes as I went to hopefully better present my case. With vitriol, because this is a rant. So let me begin with the Metal Blade... one of the things people remember the most about this game is this overpowered little bastard. The item balancing in this game is pretty nonexistent. Not that the Metal Blade is powerful against everything—there are a few enemies and bosses that are resistant or outright immune to it—but the majority of enemies are vulnerable to varying degrees, and you don't lose much ammunition for it with each use. Heck, I'm half-certain Metal Blade only is a viable strategy once you obtain it. At least three robot masters have a weakness to it, four if you count the literal one-hit kill Metal Man himself takes from it in the rematch. Pretty freakin' amusing, but it only further highlights the lack of balance in this game, I barely remember using the other weapons in many places except for enemies that had a substantial weakness to them.

I'll take a quick break and touch quickly on some good things that Megaman 2 did introduce to change some things up for the better. For one, the pointless score system from the first game is gone, that was annoying itself and just wasted some time. There was also the tweaking of invincibility frames. In the first game, if you got knocked onto spikes or other one-hit kill blocks, you were dead, invincibility frames or no. Megaman 2 allowed for an escape if you got knocked in thanks to invincibility frames actually working in said situations this time.

Praise over, let's talk about some cheap enemy placement that's entirely dependent upon your weapon loadout at the time. Okay I'll be fair, most of it just comes in Crash Man's stage. The vertical section with those enemy cylinder things in specific are pretty annoying when you can't aim directionally (hey look I'm talking about the Metal Blade again), and the big climbing section near the end as well. It's pretty garbage, and if you're not prepared, it's gonna screw you up. "So go get the Metal Blade fir—" NO YOU LISTEN TO ME, EACH LEVEL SHOULD BE ACCESSIBLE FROM THE START REGARDLESS OF YOUR LOADOUT, THIS IS JUST SHIT.

Speaking of lack of accessibility, Heat Man's stage. That little Yoku Block segment over the fire pit? Damn near impossible without Item-2, aka the Rush Jet prototype (seriously go play Megaman 3 instead, it's so much better). In fact, unless you have great reflexes or completely memorize it, just leave the stage. To do that, kill yourself until you game over, because you ain't getting out of that stage otherwise. I'll be fair, that I know of, there's no way to exit a stage in Megaman games besides getting a game over, but you never really need to because for the most part the levels are designed pretty fairly. NOT SO HERE. That's right, you come here too early? Game over yourself and come back later, because good design.

Speaking of Item-2, maybe I'm missing something, but is it even possible to disable that, or Item-1 and Item-3, or Flash Stopper while they're active? Seems like a big waste of energy to have to move off-screen to get rid of Item-1 through Item-3, or to use Flash Stopper... at all... not that there's anywhere besides two, maybe three places you'd ever use it, two of those three being Quick Man and the rematch. The other being... those... afsdkl;jtoiwerjalf-ing beams in Quick Man's stage. I used to think "No, they're fine" from memory, I used to think "you can avoid those." You can... with basically memory and/or extreme reflexes. You can use the Flash Stopper if you have Quick Man's other weakness or are confident going in with the buster or another weapon, but the aforementioned inability to disable it (again, unless I'm missing something) makes you run out quicker, and if you get hit, well, go back to learning to memorize it and move quickly, because you're out of Flash Stopper power. Also you'll probably end up having to do the whole stage again.

Gonna sum up some of my smaller points real quickly. Back on the topic of cheap enemy placement, how about the really tiny passages in Wily Stage 4 that are Megaman's height that possess a Sniper Joe that's just outside your reach, meaning you can't stand outside to dodge his shots and fire back? Then there's the somewhat cheap spike placement in Stage 3 that can get you fairly easily and completely by chance. There are those drills that flood the hallways, whose purpose is clearly for grinding only, but they're so unpredictable and annoying that it's practically impossible to get through them without taking damage; there are way better ways to grind. Also, they were definitely running out of ideas in Wood Man's stage, as there are three straight screens of the same damn miniboss-type enemy. Lastly, the "Item Get" screens take way too long, with the most empty and boring music ever that somehow makes them last longer. Now if it had Megaman 3's Item Get music, I probably wouldn't complain...

That's the small stuff. We're on to the last few points, but probably the biggest. We're gonna close off talking about the final segments of the game, starting with the Mecha Dragon, boss of Wily Stage 1. Now what we've got here is admittedly a pretty awesome chase, resulting in... an incredibly cheap boss fight; victory comes from having high amounts of luck, skill, or patience. Or a combination of the three. You only have three one tile wide platforms to stand on, and did I mention that the knockback in this game is freakin' ridiculous? Get hit, you're dead. My strategy was basically spam its weakness (Quick Boomerang) and hope I got lucky. Not a good way to start the final fortress.

But that's only the beginning boss. No, the final pre-Wily boss is another monstrosity entirely: The Boobeam Trap, or "that fucking thing." You see, there's a series of little bulbs that are weak to the Crash Bomb only. They're protected by walls... ... that only Crash Bombs can destroy. Also, there are more walls and traps combined than your Crash Bomb can actually destroy, so you better pick your shots carefully and don't miss; even in an optimal route you will only have enough to shoot everything that must be shot to destroy it. So what if you miss a shot? What if you die prematurely? What if you accidentally fire too many shots? Die and restart? Did you forget that unless you game over your weapon energy doesn't refill?! You'll either have to somehow grind energy back or just game over to refill your energy in order to try again and you might fail again and have to repeat the process AND YOU KNOW WHAT?!

Screw this boss and screw this game. "Best Megaman game" my bug-bitten ass. There's nothing worth continuing for after this point anyway, not that it was really worth getting here to begin with. Wily is so disappointingly easy even without these ludicrous "challenges" that you might as well quit, his machine can be easily spammed to death with Metal Blade (HEY LOOK IT'S BACK AGAIN) and then his final form is among the easiest bosses in the entire series. I dunno, maybe Capcom realized their mistakes and instead of fixing the game they just went "we're sorry, have easy final bosses," which doesn't excuse a damn thing! No. This game is crap, yet it somehow overshadows the rest of the series in the eyes of most fanboys, when practically every other game is better. ... okay, practically every 8-bit game. Megaman 5 is debatable. I can't fathom why when this game's full of so much crap that I'd honestly rather not ever pay money for, I'll just get the other games (again except 5) and enjoy those while forgetting about this heap of crap. Even the first game with its problems is better.

And you wanna know the worst thing about this game? That damn soundtrack. How dare it be so blissful and pleasant to the ears. Not quite godly like Megaman 3's (I'm honestly not trying to sound like I'm whoring out that game even though I totally am), but still pretty damn good even though I still think the Wily theme everyone loves is fairly overrated. I swear I'm gonna go find the composer and angrily thank him for making me enjoy this music. Little son of a...

GO PLAY MEGAMAN 3.

• 4matsy, nicklegends, Nicholas Steel and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users