Photo

Screenshot of the Week 805

Architect Abdiel & Colin Joelmacool Twilight Knight

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 805 (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 December 2023 - 12:21 AM

Architect Abdiel
ArchitectAbdiel.png
Link is trapped in the Lizalfos filled mines after the rope he comes down on snaps.
Can he find a way out?

Colin
Colin.png
Shanties of Saxum: Inside the breach, a patchwork of lives unfolds, telling the tale of a city that has withstood the test of time.

Joelmacool
Joelmacool.png
Not the bees...

Twilight Knight
TwilightKnight.png
Fishy...

• Anthus and Joelmacool like this

#2 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 18 December 2023 - 06:25 PM

Not voting, but I wanted to say to Colin. These tiles you’ve been working on are coming together very nicely.
  • Colin likes this

#3 Solynutt

Solynutt

Solynutt

• Members

Posted 19 December 2023 - 04:09 PM

great job Colin!

• Colin likes this

#4 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 19 December 2023 - 06:00 PM

Another one chirping in to say nice work on the tileset, Colin! The screen itself is a bit bland, and I'm not sure if the oppressive palette is intended, but the tiles are looking nice - especially the mountain.

• Colin likes this

#5 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 20 December 2023 - 12:55 AM

Another one chirping in to say nice work on the tileset, Colin! The screen itself is a bit bland, and I'm not sure if the oppressive palette is intended, but the tiles are looking nice - especially the mountain.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll have to mull this over a bit...

With respect to the screen design, I definitely neglected the bottom-left corner... I threw in some terrain there in a previous iteration of the shot, but that would've been terrain for the sake of terrain and not really build to the area I eventually wanted.

I think ultimately I'm just lacking in some detail. Basically everything in that screen is everything I've drawn, but it needs more. To really make it look like a lived in city I need sprites and ground textures that suggest trafficked dirt paths, tufts of grass, and maybe even the remains of stone paths and so on.

Then related to the palette, it's the DB32 palette which is used as aseprite's default palette. I think I sort of get what you mean by oppressive, but it didn't really rub me as a problem when I worked with it. Palettes are definitely something I haven't spent enough time with, so that's something for me to look into and learn about.

I'm glad the terrain/cliffs though popped out as notable though, I spent 30-40 hours over the course of a month probably trying to get them right. They're the first mountains I feel like I have actually managed to pull off, and they're a full hybrid of GB-style cliffs and LttP-style slopes.

EDIT: @NoeL, if at any point you get some time, I would appreciate some pointers on some of the problem areas in my palette. I know about some basic techniques around building palettes (intersecting ramps / hue-shifting etc) but I don't have a great sense yet on using these techniques to make a "good" palette. One problem that comes to mind I think is the palette doesn't communicate if the shot's inside, outside, in shadow, or in sun and is overall a bit dreary. I *think* I could probably shift a bit to yellow in the lighter browns for example.

Edited by Colin, 20 December 2023 - 05:32 PM.

• Taco Chopper and Joelmacool like this

#6 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 20 December 2023 - 10:10 PM

Been experimenting a bit.

DAnwFdK.png

Basically I gave LttP colors a shot which really highlighted dreariness in the original palette. Also using my rubble textures as dirt textures to draw paths in the dirt to make the swathe of detail-less ground some variety.

This isn't the final palette to use and this isn't the final dirt to use, but I think it is an improvement and is then something for me to work my way toward.

• Twilight Knight, Taco Chopper, Mitchfork and 2 others like this

#7 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 December 2023 - 03:55 PM

Super hard choice between Architect and Colin, but I went with Architect. I can't wait to play!

#8 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators

Posted 25 December 2023 - 07:49 PM

The third Screenshot of the Week tie for 2023! With 36.00% of the vote each, the winners of Screenshot of the Week 805 are Architect Abdiel and Colin!

ArchitectAbdiel.png
Link is trapped in the Lizalfos filled mines after the rope he comes down on snaps.
Can he find a way out?

Colin.png
Shanties of Saxum: Inside the breach, a patchwork of lives unfolds, telling the tale of a city that has withstood the test of time.

Congratulations to the both of you! Both screenshots will be eligible for Screenshot of the Month 199, and I will rotate the two winners on the home page during the week!

Voting totals:
  • Architect Abdiel - 9 (36.00%)
  • Colin - 9 (36.00%)
  • Joelmacool - 6 (24.00%)
  • Twilight Knight - 1 (4.00%)

• Jared likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Architect Abdiel & Colin, Joelmacool, Twilight Knight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users