Photo

The Sonic the Hedgehog Series

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:51 AM

Well, I've thought about making this thread for a while, and recent posts in the "What games are you currently playing" thread inspired me to create it faster. So here it is: A general thread about the Sonic the Hedgehog series, what you like about it, what you don't, everything goes here. It's all Sonic, and not limited to one specific game. A free-for-all. Because I've been interested in talking amongst Sonic fans about Sonic in general.

So... yeah. Here it is. Not much more to say than that, unless you want me to go into an essay about each Sonic game I've played and how they all ranked in comparison to one-another. ... I'll save that for later. icon_heh.gif

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:08 AM

Well then, seeing as this is more open ended, let's start with an easy topic. A lot of people say modern Sonic games are crappy. But having played almost all of them, I've found I love most of them, with a few exceptions. So let me ask this for those of you who hate the modern games, which ones don't you like, and why?

And on a side note, I think I should end every post in this thread with "Oh by the way, Colors Wii sucks." *runs*

#3 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:17 AM

Modern Sonic games are lots of fun! I loved the Sonic parts in Sonic Unleashed. But well, the werehog was a bad idea, but still fun. The best Sonic for Wii is Sonic and the Secret Rings. I don't know if anyone knows this. That game is just how every Sonic should be! I loved all the missions and some were really hard and I still don't have silver in every mission. And now the most important thing: The music is amazing! Modern Sonic music is better than a mario soundtrack can be. (The colours music is a exception. I don't like it) But all the music from Secret Rings, Black Knight and Zero Gravity is just awesome!!

In my opinion, Sonic games have a bad replay factor, after you've finished the game.

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE(Avataro @ Aug 24 2011, 01:17 AM) View Post

But well, the werehog was a bad idea, but still fun.

Well here's my take on the werehog. Is it really Sonic like? No. But then again, are gun, psychic powers, a sword, or alien powers Sonic like either? No. Heck, most of Sonic isn't Sonic like, so it all boils down to "Is it fun?" And in the case of the werehog, yes, it was fun. The Wii version had too much werehog game play as opposed to hedgehog, but the 360/PS3 version balances it out perfectly.

The best Sonic for Wii is Sonic and the Secret Rings.

Agreed, for the most part. I love that game. Probably more than Unleashed Wii, but not entirely sure. But yeah, it's horribly underrated.

And now the most important thing: The music is amazing!

This. Sonic music is amazing. With really the only exceptions being the Rush series (crappy, save for one song) and Colors (which was just decent, for the most part. In particular, I feel compelled to link this song:

In my opinion, Sonic games have a bad replay factor, after you've finished the game.

Gotta disagree here. I pulled hours out of Unleashed PS3, going after every single S rank. As much as I hated Colors Wii, most of time spent playing it was after I beat the game, going for red rings. '06 has a hard mode, and the silver medals. Secret Rings and Black Knight both have more missions after the game's beaten too. So yeah, I'd say Sonic games have pretty good replayability.

Edited by Russ, 24 August 2011 - 03:30 AM.

#5 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:50 AM

Yay! I am totally into Sonic the Hedgehog!! ...at least I was back when it was still way past cool, lol.

Sonic - The original Genesis game is such a classic, in both style and in terms of gameplay.
It's not super fancy, but it's a damn solid game that is very well done. A timeless memory for me.

Sonic 2 - The sequel seems to be a ginormous hit with fans, but this one never really 'clicked'
very well with me. I like some of it, but find other parts to be somewhat annoying, and well, I dunno
really why it's not all I think it should be, I can't quite put my finger on it...

Sonic CD - Now this game is PURE AWESOME! Perhaps my favorite game of all time.
It is basically like they took everything in the original Genesis Sonic and cranked it up to the max!
In my mind, they will never top this game. Ever. While it has an amazing overhaul of the series
graphics, what really makes it stand out it the rockin' CD-quality soundtrack (and this was early 90's!).
The US version had an almost completely rewritten sound track (which I slightly prefer), but the Japanese
version had great music as well. I don't know if I can convey how it feels to play this game, it is like
magic, something happens to you, you are 'in the zone'. Everything that happens on the screen is
described by the music, and yet, at the same time you almost feel you are controlling the music
subconsciously. It is like a free-flowing fully interactive music video, that you can never quite tell
if you are controlling it, or just going with the flow. Sonic's speed has seemingly increased tenfold
from the original game, and with the new super-peel-out maneuver, you can go into top speed from
a standing position! What makes this game even more jaw-droppingly amazing is that there are 4,
yes FOUR versions of every level! If Sonic touches a post, and maintains his top speed long enough,
he can travel to the future (an evil outcome where Robotnik has had his polluting way), or to the
past (where you can destroy the roboticizer before it ever gets used on Sonic's animal friends, as well
as a projection of Metal Sonic capturing animals). If you destroy the roboticizer in each area, you gain
access to a "good future" where nature and technology have evolved hand in hand. Getting all the
good futures will give you the "best ending." This game also has probably the best bonus stages ever
where you travel around a mode-7 3-D arena destroying UFOs to earn the Time Stone (which is similar
to a chaos emerald). Have I made it clear yet, that this is a game, you can't possibly do without?
Forget about the Sega CD version and get it on PC, or Sonic Gems Collection. I still haven't mentioned
the intensely awesome anime opening and closing music videos (which were remastered for full-screen
in Sonic Gems Collection, I think you can also view them in Sonic Mega Collection). And ultimate props
to you if you can find and destroy the hidden golden Robotnik statue in Wacky Workbench.

*takes a deep breath*

Sonic Spinball - Not a bad pinball game, but sluggish control and funky music don't quite cut it.
The lava level, (which I have never beat) is totally unforgiving, and the game tends to bore you.
Skip this one.

Sonic 3 - A very well done game, with large improvements over Sonic 2. Still falls short
of Sonic CD's standards, but then what Sonic game doesn't?

Sonic & Knuckles This is a truly great game. Still in the style of Sonic 1-3, but this
reaches the high point of what the series can do. Great level design, music, balanced challenge,
and good speed round out this excellent game. It's not in the realm of Sonic CD, but it is a
top-of-the-line entry all the same.

Knuckles' Chaotix - I actually own the bulky Sega 32X add-on for the Genesis, but because
of loose connecting cables to the Genesis, this game always freezes on me. It's a shame, because
I might like it. icon_sorry.gif

Sonic 3D Blast A decent Genesis game, but much cooler on PC, with improved graphics,
totally different music, and better bonus levels.

Sonic R Short, but very sweet. Not many people will appreciate this game, but I like it
for it's non-traditional race courses, and its sense of slick Sega style. The lyrics aren't so great though.

Sonic Fighters Simplistic, addictive fighting game.

Sonic Adventure This one had some very nice moments, and some average moments too.
Pretty good overall, but kind of different from what I'm used to.

Sonic Rush This game surprised me. With its slick speed and great music, it brings back
memories of Sonic CD. It's not quite as good as that game, but it comes leaps and bounds
closer to it than the Sonic 1-3 series. It has some flaws, but who cares? It's a solid, quality game.

Sonic and the Secret Rings I recently bought this, and just can't get into it. The terrible
story and voice acting takes forever, and most of the stages seem to be mini-challenges so far.
Shame. I was excited about this one.

Game Gear Games I've played quite a few on the sonic compilations, but most of them
suck because they don't have enough power to make Sonic fast. I thought the Sonic Drift
games were kind of cool though, for 2-D racers.

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine Meh, decent puzzle game, but annoying.
There are better versions of this type of puzzle game out there.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
This cartoon sucked pretty bad, but I watched it a few times anyways. Almost funny it was so bad.

Sonic the Hedgehog
This was an awesome cartoon series, almost like a dramatic anime, or at least what I
imagine an anime to be like, I don't watch them.

Sonic Comics
I was a huge fan of the Archie comics series. My collection from #0 to around #134
is practically complete.

#6 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:16 AM

As Wii sonic games go, I actually preferred Unleashed to Secret Rings. I just did not care for Secret Rings.

Favorite will always be Sonic Adventure 2 because I'm a Shadow fanboy, but Sonic Adventure/DX is a REAAALLLY close second because the ending had me in tears. Not to mention Open Your Heart is my all time favorite Crush 40 song *waits for s***storm*

#7 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE(PowerGauntlets @ Aug 24 2011, 02:16 PM) View Post

As Wii sonic games go, I actually preferred Unleashed to Secret Rings. I just did not care for Secret Rings.

Favorite will always be Sonic Adventure 2 because I'm a Shadow fanboy, but Sonic Adventure/DX is a REAAALLLY close second because the ending had me in tears. Not to mention Open Your Heart is my all time favorite Crush 40 song *waits for s***storm*

Yeah shadow is really cool, but his game on the GameCube is really boring. And I don't like his personality. Pretty highfalutin (don't know if that's the right word).

#8 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE(Avataro @ Aug 24 2011, 08:45 AM) View Post
Yeah shadow is really cool, but his game on the GameCube is really boring. And I don't like his personality. Pretty highfalutin (don't know if that's the right word).

I actually rather enjoyed Shadow's individual game. It was a bit tedious for some of the missions, but it was also an awesome story.

#9 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:12 AM

I like Sonic 2 and Sonic 3. And by "Sonic 3" I mean the REAL sonic 3, ie Sonic 3 + Sonic & Knuckles. Sonic 1 isn't bad either. I daresay most sonics up until the Sega Dreamcast are generally good (exceptions exist, of course). Then Sega went pants-crapping insane, dropped out of the hardware business, and royally sodomized the Sonic franchise with characters I couldn't care less about. I don't keep up on it much nowadays.

If they brought back the people who did Sonic right in the first place (Yuji Naka et al) and made a go at a new Sonic game, I'd purchase it just out of sheer curiosity if nothing else. 'Till then, I just watch 'em come out and get cut down in the critical reviews.

#10 Banjo7J

Banjo7J

Defender

• Members

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:06 PM

The main reason I agree with the general idea that the Modern sonic games are bad is because, IMO, they mostly are. Sonic 06, ugh, I hated that. The Hub area felt weird, and the first Sonic level (which is all I played because it was so bad) felt like an on-rails game that didn't automatically move at points. I just really hated that game. Secret rings was OK, nothing special, but still fun. Unleashed's day stages were good, but you need to go through like 3 night stages to actually get one more day stage, then it's back to night. The Werehog was just boring and not fun. I didn't even bother with the Black Knight. Colours was pretty good, didn't play much of that, despite having no reason not to play it. I can't really remember any other Modern Sonic games, unless Shadow the Hedgehog counts, but I'd say that's closer to the ill-defined middle era. At any rate, it was a good game, very enjoyable. The only other game in the Modern era I can think of is Sonic 4, but that's more of a recent addition to the Classic era than anything. And I never played that because I wanted to go through Sonic 1-3 first and never ended up doing so.

Really, IMO, the best era is the ill-defined middle era, the Dreamcast-Gamecube era, for lack of a better name. However, that might be because I barely played any of the Classic era. icon_deformed.gif But anyway, my favourite game of the series is probably Sonic Adventure 2. Sonic Adventure is close, but it just doesn't seem to compare to SA2, really. It feels outdated. SA hasn't aged well, while SA2 has. But, at the same time, SA2 seems to be missing something, something that SA has. I'm not really sure what, but it just seems to lack that, sort-of feel, y'know? I'm not saying it doesn't feel like a Sonic game, but something similar to that. I can't quite put my finger on it. Anyway, closely coming in third, (or second, it's hard to say which is actually better, this or SA. Probably this, actually) is Sonic Heroes. I'm currently playing through it, it's team mechanic is certainly very fun. It also has a lot of replayability, what with getting all the second emblems of the levels, and the A ranks. And if you're wondering, yes it does have what SA2 is missing. The only thing wrong I see with Sonic Heroes are Tails's and Charmy's voices. And some of the Choas Emeralds can be infuriatingly annoying.

Dear god, long post. And it can be summed up entirely in Modern bad, Dreamcast/Gamecube good. icon_deformed.gif

#11 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:19 PM

I seemed to dislike the newer games because they strayed off from the simplicity of the older games. Sega tried to satisfy the classic fans with Sonic 4, but it really didn't feel like the sequel to Sonic 3 that I've wanted since I was younger. When Sonic 4 was first announced I got kind of excited, I wondered if Sega would do the same thing Capcom did to Megaman. Of course, I was wrong.

#12 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

The only "modern" Sonic game Ive played is Sonic Heroes for the Game Cube. The music wasn't that good, the story was lame, the graphics were poor... And most importantly, the camera and controls seemed horribly broken to me. So there's that. I dunno about the other modern ones though.

As for the classic games, I got to play a great many of them before I got my Genesis, through the Mega and Gems collections on the Game Cube. Sonic CD remains one of the best games I've ever played, and I really hope to get my hands on a Sega CD and an actual copy of the game at some point, even if just for those animated cutscenes that were left out on the version on the Gems collection.

#13 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(Beta Link @ Aug 24 2011, 02:34 PM) View Post
The only "modern" Sonic game Ive played is Sonic Heroes for the Game Cube. The music wasn't that good, the story was lame, the graphics were poor... And most importantly, the camera and controls seemed horribly broken to me. So there's that. I dunno about the other modern ones though.
I didn't so much mind Heroes, but compared to either of the Adventure games, Heroes is absolute crap.

#14 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:42 PM

My favorites are Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, and Sonic Adventure DX: Directors Cut. SA2B is just so...amazing! With the Chao gardens, it's the perfect Sonic game!
I also liked Sonic Rush. Very fun.

And lets not forget Sonic Riders. GOD, that game is fun!!
I also like Heroes, even though I only rented it. Different, yet also fun!! I don't understand all its hate.

Edited by Jared, 24 August 2011 - 02:42 PM.

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:44 PM

This thread certainly blew up in less than a day. I'm proud of that. icon_biggrin.gif

Anyways, if we're talking the modern Sonic games, there seems to be a split right down the middle for me. Well, maybe not exactly the middle, but close to it. Personally I always had Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog lumped into the same group as Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2, since the play-style was pretty similar across those games. Then again, that'd mean I should lump Sonic '06 with them, but I put that in the modern era. But I've got different groups for each game, and basically they're like this:

The Genesis Era
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Sonic CD
- Sonic the Hedgehog 3
- Sonic & Knuckles
- Sonic Spinball
- Sonic 3D Blast

The Middle Era
- Sonic Adventure (and DX)
- Sonic Adventure 2 (and Battle)
- Sonic Heroes
- Shadow the Hedgehog

The Modern Era
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
- Sonic and the Secret Rings
- Sonic Unleashed
- Sonic and the Black Knight
- Sonic Colors

The Game Gear Era
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Sonic Triple Trouble
- Sonic & Tails
- The Tails Games

The Modern Handheld Era
- Sonic Advance
- Sonic Advance 2
- Sonic Advance 3
- Sonic Rush
- Sonic Rush Adventure
- Sonic Colors

Now, obviously I've left a few games off, but there are just too many to list. And if it was a game that wasn't like how a Sonic game played (such as Sonic Riders, or Sonic R, or Sonic the Fighters), I didn't include it. But that's basically how I separate them all in their categories. Plus I haven't really played all the games, though I've played every one I listed besides Advance 2 and 3 and Rush Adventure.

I wanna go in-depth like Cukeman did on each game I've played (in fact, it was my original plan), or at least the ones I've gotten far in/beaten (some of the GG ones don't meant this criteria), in fact it was my original plan, but I feel like this post went on too long already. That and for some reason I stopped writing it a few hours ago and just now picked it back up. icon_heh.gif

So instead, I think I'll list my favorite eras by rank, then go in-depth in a later post. So, from favorite to least-favorite... I would have to say, based on what I've played... Genesis, Middle, Modern, Game Gear, Modern Handheld. Not all modern games are bad, but I'll get to those later, and just say that the only ones in the modern era I didn't truly care for as much as the others were '06, Black Knight, and Colors Wii. Colors DS, on the other hand, was great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users