Photo

boss chases you through many rooms

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:27 AM

I figure with new builds it may be possible to have the boss come into rooms that are taking you too long (you may have to run until you get the weapon), like the pterodactyl in Joust. in other rooms, he'd be more likely; a few last rooms, he'd be a sure thing right away. yeah?

#2 Moldorm

Moldorm

Magus

• Members

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:08 AM

Does that mean that, when you get the weapon, you fight the boss in the room you are in instead of in the boss room?

#3 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:29 AM

sure. or maybe once you have the weapon, he's more likely to run from you!

#4 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:57 AM

...?

is this really a question or a suggestion or what...?[[edit: took out my rent-a-mod habit]]

actually i think this would be a cool idea... if it wouldnt be so hard to set up.

maybe it can be done with scripts though... mention it in the scripting subforums. maybe one of the veterans can help with that.

Edited by Master Maniac, 21 December 2008 - 01:00 AM.

#5 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:50 AM

It's a very good idea to make the boss appear and simply kill the player if he waits to long/stands still, but it's unnecessary to use scripts for it.

#6 Captain Magenta

Captain Magenta

Senior

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:31 AM

Another possibility is a boss enemy that once you're inside a certain room, gives you a limited amount of time to defeat him/it, or it will instantly kill the player regardless of current health remaining due to circumstances present within the room such as walls closing in on the player or an attack from the enemy used after the timeframe expires that delivers an instant kill.....

#7 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:38 PM

It's a very good idea to make the boss appear and simply kill the player if he waits to long/stands still, but it's unnecessary to use scripts for it.

true, but scripts will make it much easier.

Another possibility is a boss enemy that once you're inside a certain room, gives you a limited amount of time to defeat him/it, or it will instantly kill the player regardless of current health remaining due to circumstances present within the room such as walls closing in on the player or an attack from the enemy used after the timeframe expires that delivers an instant kill.....

another brilliant idea, but this most likely will require scripts because of the way solidity works. link could get stuck in a wall and not be able to move like that. and i dont think animating and combo cycling would work too well with this one lol.

#8 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:05 PM

If you had two global variables, you could actually make the boss "move" throughout the dungeon. In each room, the boss could move either in a set path or in the direction of the character if they get to be too close.

Or, yeah, you could have a time counter when you get into a room. Once it gets to be a certain time, the boss will enter.

The first one may take a bit of work, but I don't foresee it being hard. The second would be easy, actually.

#9 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:03 PM

Hmmm...why do I get the feeling that this idea will now create Resident Evil type Zelda Classic games? o.O

#10 jerome

jerome

"Ducks eat for free at Subway"

• Members

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Jan 5 2009, 06:05 PM) View Post

If you had two global variables, you could actually make the boss "move" throughout the dungeon. In each room, the boss could move either in a set path or in the direction of the character if they get to be too close.

Or, yeah, you could have a time counter when you get into a room. Once it gets to be a certain time, the boss will enter.

The first one may take a bit of work, but I don't foresee it being hard. The second would be easy, actually.

I think the time counter would be the easiest of all... well maybe. Problem is this, once the boss appears, do you have a chance to escape the room, or do you have to beat him, or does he just kill you since you don't have the weapon?

Escape the room problem- Would require a lot of side warp setups. Each dungeon would have to be made double, one for room A w/ enemies, one for room A w/ boss. Now if the boss just runs away there's another side warp needed right? But that could warp you back into the room you were just in. Mixing it up would be best. Make some of the rooms you have to escape, some you have to drive him out (hold out until he goes away), and some he will just kill you (I'd say save these for WRONG WAY rooms... but scarcely).

It's a pretty good idea, I think.

Have to beat him- well if it requires a weapon, that's not really possible is it? So it's incentive to get through the room faster.

With all of these ideas, I think there should be a "story style" warning somewhere either in the level or very close nearby saying how the "boss's name here" can appear at any time if you just hang around too long.

#11 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE(jerome @ Jan 6 2009, 10:45 AM) View Post
With all of these ideas, I think there should be a "story style" warning somewhere either in the level or very close nearby saying how the "boss's name here" can appear at any time if you just hang around too long.

Some games that do that usually have some minor story thing saying like "Uh-oh...run!" and you see the reason for running as the incredibly strong boss plows through walls like paper as it chases after you. Other than that, I can think only of having some one else just blatantly telling you to get the bleep away from there.

If you want more subtle cues, take a few lines from Metroid Fusion and the SA-X, like how you know she has all of your cool guns, is already destroying passageway after passageway, creepy "scary" music to inform that you're now in a bad situation, and then high tense desperation music when you're spotted, letting you cue in that you should probably get the <bleep> out of there as son as possible, safety achieved with a return or calmer music.

#12 jerome

jerome

• Members

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:02 PM

On your idea of the boss runs away once you do have the item, but before the room he's supposed to be beaten in-
Let's say that the boss is good old Aquamentus (AQ for short) and the weapon is Arrows. If AQ is on the left side and you are any where, just have that side of the room covered in Arrow flags that turn into direct tile warps that take you back to the original room prior to boss AQ showing up. This way you can't beat him. You might also consider mixing up Bomb, Sword, Sword beams, and Arrow flags randomly so that the person can't "kill" the boss early before it's time. The rest of the room would be covered in secret tile flags the turn into direct tile warps as well.
Of course if it's a custom boss, just have the one weapon flag to trigger the boss's escape, but just when you hit it. Everything else secret tiles.

Of course if you are using one of the betas for all of this, you could probably do a lot of the escaping setup easier. You could even make it so that when you hit the boss it jumps you to a room (like a freeze screen shot) of the boss screaming (triggered mp3 clip), the boss runs away, and then it warps you back into your previous room. That'd be pretty Fn cool.

#13 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:20 PM

I'm glad my little idea is bringing out the creativity in y'all! now, somebody build one!

#14 jerome

jerome

• Members

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:16 PM

I made a small demo of what you asked and how I described the boss running away. I did not do any mp3 boss screamers, because I don't know how to do that. The file is open if you want to check it out.

Version of ZC: v923 (BTW- buggy as can be, assigning combos to secret tiles kept closing it out).

http://www.mediafire...2db6fb9a8902bda

First off, it's EXTREMELY EASY. The first room with enemies is a 15 second delay before the boss appears. The second room with enemies is a 20 second delay and it's a different boss. I was going to make a bunch more, but I'm getting rather busy at work. Unfortunately, ZC doesn't pay the bills.

Let me know what you think.

Was this what you were looking for? I tried to make it so that the enemies from before the boss appearing stayed, but then the boss doesn't show up! So, it's pretty lame as far as fighting difficulty. But it's a demo, who cares.

#15 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:20 PM

can you make a youtube video of it in action? thanks for making the file and I hope others build on it or whatever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users