The Islands of Zelda

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#16 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:33 PM

Great job on level 3!   :D  You found all secrets except 2 that involved burning red(-ish) trees.

Here's some advice on what's to come:

• Before you reach level 4, you can find the following: the White Sword (buy at store), secret Moblin money of up to 150 rupees, Old Man Daniel (behind a bombable wall; I believe he's Strike's cameo character), a heart piece (at the top of the island), the blue ring (buy at store, though it's expensive and you can buy it for much cheaper later so you might wanna' wait), a bomb upgrade behind a waterfall, and a healing fairy behind a waterfall.
  • You can also find another heart piece if you use the same trick that you used to find the back door to level 2. ;)  (That's before you reach Big Island.)
  • If you go back to Egalos Island to buy a potion, you can find some things hidden underneath burnable trees.  Look for trees that have small rocks by them.
  • On the first screen of Egalos Island (where you first start after saving on the overworld), you can use an item from level 3 to trigger a secret that you'll need an item from level 4 to follow.  (I hope that's not too confusing. :heh:  It'll make sense once you see it.)
  • I don't think level 4 is as difficult as level 3 if Darknuts are a difficulty for you (though level 4 does have a few Darknuts).  Level 4 just includes Like-Likes as enemies, so if you're okay with beating them, it shouldn't be too hard. :heh:  It also includes Lanmolas.
  • In level 4, you'll need the Lens of Truth before you can see secret hints on the floor map; however, if you pay attention to where the item appears after you defeat the enemies in the room, that should give you a hint of a secret room (though it might be obvious when you get the map item).

:heh: Sorry to speak in riddles, but I don't want to be too much of a spoiler.  Hopefully some of my advice will come in handy. ;)

Good luck on the next island! :)

#17 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:12 PM

Good news!  I finally got around to playing through to where I was and the next episode should be up tomorrow.  For those of you who don't know, I goofed while switching to the latest version of ZC and, long story short, I accidentally deleted all of my progress.

#18 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:02 PM

Episode 7 - Monkeyblins

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

It's finally here!

Edited by GrantGreif, 30 December 2014 - 03:10 PM.

#19 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:41 PM

Good news!  I finally got around to playing through to where I was and the next episode should be up tomorrow.  For those of you who don't know, I goofed while switching to the latest version of ZC and, long story short, I accidentally deleted all of my progress.

So sorry to hear that.  I hate it when there's compatibility issues.  Sorry you lost your progress, too.  Hopefully it wasn't too much trouble to get back to where you were before.

Now, to my comments on episode 7:

• The bomb upgrade you mentioned in level 1 was in the boss's room itself. After you beat the boss, you pushed a block and stairs appeared.  You get the bomb upgrade for 1 rupee (because there are no bomb bags or quivers in version 2.10).
  • FYI, the island is called "Big Island".  If you go in the info shop and look at the title, you'll see the name.
  • You didn't get the secret where the moblin was walking on the trees.  Remember, where walking enemies can walk, you can walk, too! ;)  Try to get there!  You won't be sorry if you do; the reward is (a large sum of) rupees.
  • Don't worry about that cave in the tree you didn't go in.  It was just a generic shop, not a level.
  • That heart piece on the island you spotted to the southeast of Big Island is accessible via raft branch.  Remember getting the magic boomerang?  The island is called "Addition Island" (you'll see why when you see the shape of it).
  • If you need to fill up your health, there's a secret walkable path outside of level 4 that leads to a fairy fountain.
  • Try pushing those rock-things on the mountain just one screen to the west of the level 4 entrance.

Now for advice for what's coming in the next episode:

• In level 4, some boss doors and all boss-lock blocks open shortcuts.
  • Don't forget what the Goriya in the eye said about what to find in the boss's room!
  • FYI, level 5 is not on Big Island.  If you don't know where to look, talk to the Info Shop lady.  (There is another level on Big Island, but it's not level 5.)
  • However, there are a few things you can get on Big Island before you leave to find level 5.  Use the item from level 4 to explore the rest of the island.
  • A word of advice: Don't buy the blue ring from the shop on Big Island that sells it for 250 rupees (if you find it; it's one screen east of a heart piece that's easy to get).  It's about 100 rupees cheaper in the Mountain Village.
  • After the raft maze, there's a village at the top of a mountainous island.  The shop there sells a couple must-have items, so save up them rupees!

Good luck beating level 4 and beyond!  :D

#20 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:12 PM

Episode 8 - Wandering

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Ben drowned in the ocean.

Edited by GrantGreif, 30 December 2014 - 03:09 PM.

• Lightwulf likes this

#21 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:42 AM

:clap: Great job finding the hidden Moblin money!  And guessing the right maze path.  (If you'd bombed the crack in the mountain wall, you would've learned it beforehand.  Plus, you would've known to look for the crack in the wall if you'd talked with the guy in the info shop with a Leever above it (Big Island Desert Info Shop)!  But no matter.)  Great job finding Serpento Island, too! :)  That's where level 5 is. (You know, the island with all the Ropes on it.)

FYI, Roc's Feather was not an item in version 2.10, so don't expect it.  Neither was the 4-way ladder.  All we had to deal with was the regular ladder item (and the hookshot, too, like you guessed ;) ).

:lol: Creepy?  I found that tune kind of calming!  Ah, well, you may feel the same way after you go swimming in the Open Ocean for the first time (after getting the flippers {and yes, you do get the flippers! :awesome:}).

Also FYI, at the end of the video, you're heading toward level 6.  If you look at the map, you'll see the hammer posts blocking your way.  Good job getting that far, though!

Now, advice on what's to come:

• Watch for small cracks in mountain combos!  You passed by so many in episode 8.  When you see one, bomb it.
  • If you need a potion (red or otherwise) and you're away from Egalos Island, go back to Mount Island Village (where you got the red candle) and proceed as far back as you can.  There's a potion shop there.  Just remember to avoid using the warp tile until you're ready to leave.
  • Also, if you leave Mount Island Village through the front door, go west and south to find a Heart Piece in a chest... Or you can wait until you get the hookshot, in which case you can hookshot to the chest from the shallow water.
  • You can get the (500-rupee) wallet right before you enter level 5.  I'm just telling you now.  (Ask the info shop lady if you can't figure it out.)
  • There are a couple of heart pieces that you can get using the ladder near Crossroads Island and Facade Island (where level 2 is).
  • Also, there's a secret on the start screen of Egalos Island that you can get now (using power bracelet and ladder).

Advice for Inside Level 5: (slight spoilers enclosed, though nothing huge)

I hope this info will help you in your journey!  :cheese:

Edited by Lightwulf, 30 November 2014 - 03:43 AM.

#22 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 28 December 2014 - 04:46 PM

Episode 9 - WIZZROBES!

http://youtu.be/P6WZSewYQjE

I got wizzrobes a dungeon early!

Edited by GrantGreif, 30 December 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#23 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:40 AM

Comments on Episode 9:

- :lol: Sorry that the first cracked mountain combo you found was the door repair!  You'll find other more useful secrets if you look for more of those on the overworld.

- It's good that you eventually figured out the island's shape!  It ain't called "Serpento Island" for nothin'!  You're ahead of the game for a much later clue.

- BTW, the music for level 5 is from Super Metroid (for Super Nintendo; I highly recommend playing it if you haven't); Crateria, if I remember correctly.

- The design on those blocks that you were wondering about designates them as hookshot grab blocks.  ... However, you don't need the hookshot in level 5... at all.  I just happened to add the separate tile design later in development, so... just ignore them for now. :heh:

- CONGRATS on discovering the secret Super Bomb link between dungeons 3 & 5!!!  :clap:  There are other similar links between dungeons (the boulders are only removable with Super Bombs), but only for dungeons 1-7; not levels 8 & above.  I'm glad you found it!  Just remember that particular room for later, when you have

Spoiler
If you make it to the eye of the snake, you'll find an in-game hint about that.

- Sorry about the map-on-floor room.  I only made the secret visible to the Lens... which you don't get yet.  :-/  Wonder if I should change that...  Probably will, and submit an update, when I get the chance.

Coming Soon (what to watch for in episode 10):

- You might have guessed what the main level item is, based on obstacles you've seen in the overworld. To get it, don't go through the stairway behind the lock block yet, but keep going as far as you can go.

In case you can't wait to know what it is:

- Look for the room with flashing floor tiles.  Not everything is solid in that room.

- The boss key is obtained in a room with red & blue wizzrobes, hammer posts, and water obstacles.  Defeat all enemies to get it, and use it to open up a shortcut to the entrance.

- Notice something that changes in the boss's room and remember it for later.

Oh, and one other thing: There is a secret near the entrance to level 5 on the overworld.  You would do well to discover it before you move on! :naughty:  (The old lady in the Serpento Island Info Shop gives you this hint.)

That's all for now!  I'm looking forward to your further exploration! :D

Edited by Lightwulf, 30 December 2014 - 05:42 AM.

#24 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:53 PM

Episode 10 - Get Hammered

http://youtu.be/Tek9yQ5GvZk

When you're lost in a dungeon and there's nothing left to do...

#25 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:27 PM

Congratulations, GrantGrief, you just helped me find some bugs!  :clap:  Right at the beginning of the episode, too!  :heh:  You shouldn't have spawned where you did, so you got the heart piece early. (I guess anybody with enough life could've done that, anyway, but you're supposed to have the Boots first.)  Also, the blocks weren't supposed to be walk-through (I think; I forget... it's been a while since I first made that room).  Thanks! :) :heh:   Silly me...   :whap: I'll update that as soon as I get the chance.

Sorry it was such a pain.  I did try to warn you in my last post not to go through that stairway behind the keyblock at first, but at least you figured things out.  Well, I hope you know where to go now!  (Once you get the boss key, you'll be able to bypass those annoying rooms at the beginning.)

If you don't remember where to go:

So, just to recap my previous post (and add a thing or two), here's what's coming up:

• Beat all the enemies in each (new) room at least once; one of the rooms will give you the boss key.
  • Watch for another bombable wall.
  • Pay attention to the secret in the boss room.
  • After you exit level 5, 
    Spoiler
  • Don't forget to pick up the blue ring for 150 rupees at the shop in Mount Isle Village.  I think you may need this for level 5's boss.  Also, while you're at it, there's a potion shop at the back of the village; you might need a red potion as well.

Good luck with beating level 5! :D

Oh, and after you beat it:

• You'll have to backtrack a bit to find level 6.  You'll need level 5's item to get there.

Edit:

I just fixed the bugs PLUS I added a shortcut you can access with the hammer.  It will be on the database soon. ;)

Edited by Lightwulf, 03 January 2015 - 05:38 PM.

#26 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:59 PM

Episode 11 - Money Can Buy Happiness

http://youtu.be/xDJLFlTOWsM

When in doubt, wallet out.

#27 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:21 AM

Nice job!  Yeah, even I have trouble in that level without the blue ring. Magic takes off 2 hearts without it, and I can't edit enemies in version 2.10 so I can't reduce that.
- By the episode's title, I thought you'd found the 500-rupee wallet! :heh: It's close to the level 5 entrance, anyway. :shrug:

- By the way, you found the back door to level 2 but you didn't go in it! (It looks like a cave, just one screen to the north of the level 2 entrance.) You just didn't go in it because you were looking for hammer posts at the time. You might want to go in there; there's a handy item waiting for you!
- Also, about the starting screen (after the stair warp), you can get back if you use the power glove. *hint hint*

Music for level 6: Nope, I never played Pikmin. That tune comes from the SNES game "Donkey Kong 2: Diddy's Kong Quest". The track (of the game's soundtrack) is called "In a Snow-Bound Land" but is more commonly known for being heard in ice caves such as the level entitled "Black Ice Battle". Here's the original if you want to compare it. That Pikmin tune is nice, though. Thanks for sharing! :)

Yeah, the music (by itself) is relaxing. :) Too bad it distracted you from using your potion. :sorry: Oh well. The episode exceeded 10 minutes anyway, so I guess it was bound to end sooner or later. (I heard something about a 10-minute time limit on videos, so I'm not sure what/who that applies to. Maybe I mis-heard... :shrug: )

Coming Soon (presumably in episode 12):
- If you see Pols Voice statues, you should know what to do to one of them. ;)
- I'm not sure if it's clear from the map, but there are 2 floors of the ice palace. Anyways, there are a couple rooms on floor 2 where you'll have to drop down a hole in the floor to proceed (but not all rooms with holes in the floor; just a couple of them). The boss key can be found this way.
- To find the hidden Goriya room, look for floor hints to appear after you defeat all the enemies.
- Don't forget to look for a secret in the boss room!
- ***Don't forget that boss-lock chest in the main room before you fight the boss! :heh: People have done it, and it's not fun, especially when you can't figure out what's wrong. :doh:

Good luck completing level 6! :D

Edited by Lightwulf, 07 January 2015 - 03:23 AM.

#28 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:06 PM

Episode 12 - 2.10 Works in Mysterious Ways

http://youtu.be/-tiEXXOcw4k

All hail the almighty Armos!

#29 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:16 PM

Yep, ran into the same problem with the pols voice statue blocking.  Probably easier to just remove the statues and just use a simple shutter door to the right that opens when shooting the statue.

Same thing with any of the shortcuts that require super bombs.  Given such rocks reappear when reentering the room, may be simpler to just put obstacles that require items from say levels 7 and 8 to use the shortcuts.

Movement in this quest uses standard 4 direction movements, so you move in half tile increments.

#30 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:10 AM

(pols voice statue block) :doh:  Sorry about that!  pixcalibur pointed it out to me and I fixed that problem.  It will be on the next update.

BTW, that room with 4 Pols Voice statues, didn't you notice one was darker than the other?  You were smart with tricking the traps, but I placed a secret in that room to make it much easier to get past, if you shot the right weapon.

The episode seemed to cut off suddenly, but oh well.  BTW, if Dodongos get stunned like that, you can slash them with your sword and get a 4-bomb item every time!  Try it next time that happens.  (P.S. The secret is to lay 2 bombs on their mouth, one right after the other, and it stuns them every time.  Free bombs!)

Advice for Episode 13: (unless you rename it to 14 because you're superstitious, of course)

• The same item you use on eye statues is what you use on (certain) Pols Voice statues.
  • Use level 5's item on the blue darknuts to vanquish them easily.  Without that, it's really hard (without potions), especially when walking on the ice.  Trust me.  I know. :sweat: (Back then, I forgot I could use that on them. :heh: )
  • Don't forget to open the boss-lock chest before going through the boss-lock door.
  • (Download my latest update for an updated room behind that door; it looks a lot better now than it does in the copy of the quest you're currently playing... and a little easier, too.)
  • Did you ever try walking behind the ice palace? (I know you didn't on the episodes; I'm just sayin'.)  You never know what you might find back there! ;)
  • After level 6, there are some nice items you can get before you start looking for level 7.  Of course, to find them, you gotta' use level 6's main item to get the first one, then use that item to find another.

Good luck beating level 6... and beyond!  :eng101: [/Toy Story reference]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users