The last kingdom

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:36 AM

This thread will be about the last overworld area that needs to be made in NTCC. I'll try to keep you updated about the progress in this thread.

Posted Image
This is a part of the overworld, which will be mostly frozen and snowy. This screenshot also shows off the new subscreen I made.

The area is totally taken over by the Rebonites and the humans lost their grasp on this kingdom (many died, many enslaved and only some fled). So this is a very dangerous place for Nargad to be. One can expect much slippery ice, snow and pine trees. I'm also putting a lot of work into making more different paths in this area, so it won't be linear.

Posted Image
This is it's location in the world of Krelaila

So what do you guys think so far? Is there something I should absolutely put in this overworld?
  • DarkFlameSheep, Shane, Jared and 7 others like this

#2 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:22 AM

An ice cave that goes down 10 levels, with an ice dragon as the boss.

• Twilight Knight and Lightwulf like this

#3 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:15 PM

Hmm, why not.

#4 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:28 PM

How about a Rebonite that sells "Rebon-ice" desserts?  Could be like either ice cream or snow cones.  (Yeah, they might not sell it to Nargad, but you could have some Rebonite enemies hanging out around the stand.  Maybe Nargad has to sneak past to proceed.)

• Twilight Knight likes this

#5 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:39 PM

Oh, also, Happy Birthday Twilight_Knight!

#6 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

She looks like Vanice?

• Members

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:16 AM

Happy Birthday Twilight_Knight.

You said many people died there, so I suggest to put many undead enemies, many grave or soul NPC.

Edited by Stray Sheep, 03 March 2016 - 08:20 AM.

#7 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:30 AM

If they died from a sudden invasion, I would avoid using graves since people wouldn't have had the time to bury the fallen. But I will suggest skeletons and the usual, I believe Lost Isle has a variety of skeleton graphics but I would avoid using actual dead body graphics though, it feels more edgy than anything else IMHO.

As for other suggestions: Mounds of snow, perhaps blocking paths so you have to climb higher to cross the stack of snow like in Oracle of Seasons. In the screenshot, the transition from green to gray was rather sudden, but I do see what you were trying to do and I like the idea. Perhaps if you can, and if it doesn't cause any set backs, alter the greens to a more dead-ish looking green? Screen design is amazing as usual, keep it up.

#8 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:27 AM

Thank you guys!

There are some good suggestions here for certain.

@Lightwulf: A Rebonite shop! That's a pretty good idea, but to make it an actual shop. Like a Rebonite selling goods illegally to humans and having some enemies inside the shop.

@Stay Sheep: Yes, I'm definitely going to include this!

@Shane: Maybe I make some graves in the ruins of the city, but some empty graves or clearly not finished ones? And a lot of skeletons of course. I do have some mounds of snow around as well. The green is a transition from a different dmap on the screen above, so I don't think it will feel sudden in-game. The grey ones aren't meant to look dead, btw, but more like frozen trees. Maybe there are versions of these trees which look more frozen? I don't want to put effort in spriting that myself. I also like the greens here and there will be more green to the east of this area, where things are less frozen.

Thanks for the comments!

• DarkFlameSheep, Shane and Lightwulf like this

#9 Nightmeres

Nightmeres

Defender

• Members

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:19 PM

Cool, maybe ice traps that freeze link, like frozen wind or enemies that freeze link. Ice spikes that come from the sides like in the cave. Idk possibilities, all the possibilities.

#10 Zolias

Zolias

Retired Darknut Captain; Apprentice Wizrobe

• Members

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:01 AM

Since someone mentioned Lost Isle already, why not have some ghost events that appear at certain places that gives a more accurate history of the invasion?  Also, unkillable ghosts (the irony of that statement, huh?) like Ghini 2's I believe they are that haunt some of the areas.  Maybe even a ghost house.  Like people have said, plenty of opportunities.

#11 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:48 AM

Those are some good ideas guys!

Now this area is still in busy development (while replaying Majora's Mask as well). Many, many screens have been made and before I make some more, I'm going to add more spice to the ones I made already. Like I'm definitely digging the idea of ghosts popping up and telling some history of what happened there!

Now some more screenshots, the last one I forgot to put the snow layer on before making the shot.

ntyamuta2.png

More of the Halador Tundra area. As you can see, there are many wild mountain formations, even some passes under them. Also more ice and snow.

ntyamuta3.png

After crossing the tundra area, Nargad will reach the rubbles of Yamuta's Castle.

I need to thank Demonlink for the palette in the second shot. I was looking for a warmer, snowy look here (more reds) and this was exactly what I wanted. Also I personally love the Midi in Yamuta's Rubbles, which is an edited version of Chopin's prelude 15.

Stay tuned for more screenshots and details coming soon!

• DarkFlameSheep, Shane, Avaro and 3 others like this

#12 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:21 PM

Those are some great screens. Your mountain design is incredible.

#13 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:30 PM

Looks great!   :D

... But "rubbles"?  Unless that's a word from a culture in your quest/series, in English we use the word without the "s" to refer to any amount of it (just "rubble").  "Rubble" is just dirt, gravel, or any building material crumbled to pieces (like broken pieces of concrete), usually found in piles.

I would say "ruins" is a more appropriate word for what you're going for since it usually means old, broken-down buildings.

Edited by Lightwulf, 18 March 2016 - 09:31 PM.

#14 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 19 March 2016 - 02:09 PM

@Shane: Thank you very much!

@Lightwulf: Ah, I already wasn't so sure about it's plural. I will name it Yamuta's Rubble then, because I was looking for a different word than ruins. One area is named "... Ruins" already, that's why. If you know an even better word for it, I'm definitely interested.  :)

Edited by Twilight_Knight, 27 March 2016 - 12:10 PM.

• Lightwulf likes this

#15 Zolias

Zolias

Retired Darknut Captain; Apprentice Wizrobe

• Members

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:08 PM

@Lightwulf: Ah, I already wasn't so sure about it's plural. I will name it Yamuta's Rubble then, because I was look for a different word than ruins. One area is named "... Ruins" already, that's why. If you know an even better word for it, I'm definitely interested.  :)

I have an idea for a name... how about The Ancient Castle of Yamuta?  Ancient representing that it's old and most likely ruins by now by natural forces (wind, snow, water damage, etc.) and time.  Especially if it's supposed to be a very old castle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users