Quest 745 Demo

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:27 PM

This is the official demo for Quest 745. Hopefully you get an idea what the finished quest might be like. :)

Features:

• Three dungeons
  • Two overworld maps
  • You can get the optional Flippers and Magic Boomerang as well as some Bomb and Arrow Expansions
  • Seven heart containers possible right now
  • Once you get a sword upgrade, that's the end. There's no more game progression from that point.
  • Incomplete areas blocked off.

Enjoy.

Edit: Removed original links as they are incorrect. You may download the quest demo from its page.

Edited by Bagel, 28 July 2015 - 02:11 PM.

• Sheik and Jared like this

#2 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:44 PM

Well, may give this a try later on.  Got to finish LP'ing 744 first =p

#3 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:22 AM

So I played the demo and had a lot of fun. This quest is looking to be a step up from Quest 744 which was already a pretty great quest. Some bugs/thoughts:

zjnvOGW.png

That don't look right.

0X2H2Vd.png

What do you mean I can't just slip under it and get the chest?

dlODRKw.png

I just walked across the pit and grabbed the book because buggymeropit.

Z8OOm3J.png

Ask your doctor if bullet hell death worm is right for you.

(I think only one of them should shoot rocks)

mGK9aH3.png

Ask your doctor if buggy Mero pit script is right for you.

K8dBCiu.png

Another weird out of bounds bug accomplished through Mero pit script. This one didn't fix itself.

aNNkDUh.png

Grid snapping on the pit script favors the top half of Link's tile leading to weird stuff. Also I think the long falling animation and health drain can lead to double damage wombo combo.

4HgTkGQ.png

I forgot I wasn't playing ALttP and these enemies gave me a lot of trouble because I didn't try the bow on them until late in the dungeon.

Lowlight Tomb was my favorite dungeon of the three. The atmosphere and screen twitching effect and everything was just great. It got a little annoying at times when enemy drops were being especially stingy, but there's not much you can do about that.

#4 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:36 AM

It's starting to look like I may need a different pit script.

#5 ms_zelda_lady

ms_zelda_lady

Warrior

• Members

Posted 06 June 2015 - 03:04 PM

I really like your demo Bagel. Your overworld maps are awesome.  I've both bomb and arrow expansions. Finished the 1st level and done all of the 2nd level with the exception of the boss. I am missing a key and can't figure out where it is.  I did some exploring and found level 3 but I want to finished level 2 first. Any hints where that key is would be much appreciated.

#6 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 06 June 2015 - 03:31 PM

this looks good. would you say it's about half done?

#7 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 06 June 2015 - 03:32 PM

It's starting to look like I may need a different pit script.

I've got one you can try. It doesn't really work the same, though, so it might take a bit of reworking. And it doesn't double as lava, but that wouldn't be hard to add.

Edit: Hey, I even made a demo. https://www.dropbox....itdemo.qst?dl=0
Forgot to set the SFX, though. Sorry. :P

#8 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:05 PM

I really like your demo Bagel. Your overworld maps are awesome.  I've both bomb and arrow expansions. Finished the 1st level and done all of the 2nd level with the exception of the boss. I am missing a key and can't figure out where it is.  I did some exploring and found level 3 but I want to finished level 2 first. Any hints where that key is would be much appreciated.

If you have the compass, a chime will play in rooms that contain a key. Make sure to visit every room.

#9 is.lee.aac

is.lee.aac

• Members

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:52 PM

I can't figure out how to upload screenshots, but in the desert there's a palm tree on the bottom right side of the screen that has a black background behind it instead of the mountain like the rest of the trees around it.

Also, a pretty rough glitch: I used a magic potion on the boss of pendant dungeon #3. It didn't restore my magic, but on top of that, I could no longer use my sword. It made the sound effects for the potion and even the sword swings after but there were no hits anymore, I actually couldn't attack enemies with it anymore. Saving or continuing didn't fix it. Then I also couldn't use the red potion. It just made the item error or can't use item noise (like when you use the magic mirror on the light world in aLTTP). In order to allow me to use the sword again, I had to buy the green potion again from the "shady" guy in the cave, then I could use the red potion. Only after using the red potion I was able to use the sword again. Using the green potion again resulted in no sword again. I'm sure the whole "shady" deal wasn't alluding to a troll move but rather it is a legit glitch. =)

Ditto on Moosh's pit falling exploits. I was having some fun with that too lol.

Suggestions (totally unnecessary but may be cool), and keep in mind I may be talking out of my butt since the last time I used ZQuest was nearly 15 years ago when it was first released lol:

- Breakable signs (like road signs) like in later Zelda games. Maybe under combo a stub of the sign with no item drops. Maybe a different sound effect. Just cause of the nice new script that lets you break pots animated and stuff. And it won't be "unrealistic" since the signs always seem to magically rebuild themselves in the later Zelda games =)

- The pendant collect jingle after collecting a pendant, then no more music until you exit the room/dungeon (is this even possible?). Seems like it would add more dramatic effect. And also so unnecessary.

- Revisiting the boss room once they've been defeated doesn't play boss music but just regular dungeon music. (this is just being anal now and is totally unnecessary)

- These are all unnecessary in case I didn't mention it.  :nerd:

So much has changed with ZC/ZQ and it seems like anything is possible now. Anyway, can't wait for the final quest! I almost don't want to play any more demos if any more come out for the sake of spoilers/spoiling the final quest haha.

Edited by is.lee.aac, 06 June 2015 - 11:55 PM.

#10 ms_zelda_lady

ms_zelda_lady

Warrior

• Members

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:18 AM

I found the key Bagel. Thanks for reminding me about the compass chime. I finished level 2. Only got killed twice trying to kill the boss and I'm happy with that. I started Low Light Tomb and I am stumped already. LOL  I got the compass and in one of the rooms just up and right of the Big Chest, there's a treasure box but I can't get it open.  I have killed all the enemies in the room with the Big Chest and the room to the left of the treasure box but it won't open. BTW I hope when the final version comes out. you take away the way we lose our life in level 3. I died 3 times just trying to figure out how to move blocks in order to get past a room. I never was able to get past that room. I have the funny feeling I won't be able to finish level 3.

#11 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:33 AM

Hm. I can't duplicate the potion behavior disabling the sword. It sounds like a global script glitch to me; the quest is designed for 2.50.1 and should be used with a new savefile. While the potion does its recovery you should be frozen temporarily as well as made temporarily invincible, and it's working ok for me. I don't really have an explanation for that one.

Breakable signs would be tough to do because they are freeform combos. >_> Re: the pendant jingle thing: because of the way ZC works it can't run additional scripting on pickup if the item itself was placed via script and acts like a Triforce piece. Trust me, I already tried. -_-; ZC has some odd limitations.

Having the regular dungeon music play after killing a boss could be doable via another script, but it would mean that the music would have to be attached to the boss enemy.

For the chest not opening in the third dungeon, that is also a problem I can't duplicate. Everything (other than the wonky pit script) seems to be working as intended on my end. o_O;

I will take a look at the scripting and see if I can't find a cause or a conflict somewhere.

#12 is.lee.aac

is.lee.aac

• Members

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:50 PM

Yup, it's ZC 2.50.1 (build 28). For a little bit I couldn't get the potion glitch to reproduce either but I think I figured out what makes it happen. Try emptying out your magic completely to nothing and using the green potion. This is what seems to initiate the problem.

Also, bad troubleshooting on my part. I don't think it prevented me from using the red potion either after the glitch. That was just me having full health at the time... lol!

Overall though, this quest is looking amazing... funny how at first you were just gonna do a "master quest". I guess you just couldn't resist huh? =D

PS: A few screens south west of the first pendant dungeon where one of the warps used to be in Q744 (slash with master sword to reveal warp) has a really minor glitch. I think where the warp used to appear, that patch of grass's under combo must be another patch of grass or something. You can just keep slashing it forever.

And also forgot to mention before, awesome change to 2nd dungeon compared to first demo! Great dungeon.

Edited by is.lee.aac, 07 June 2015 - 09:42 PM.

#13 SUCCESSOR

SUCCESSOR

Apprentice

• Banned

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:23 PM

Forgot to bring this up last night. Played bit of you demo. The ocarina got me stuck in a wall.

zelda022.png

Wasn't terrible, just had to continue. Not sure why it happened I didn't exactly try to figure it out but the ocarina worked in at least one other room.

Also Link's sprite is terrible and clashes with everything.

Edited by SUCCESSOR, 07 June 2015 - 09:24 PM.

#14 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:55 PM

Link's hat no longer has the white specular highlight. Only his hair is shiny.

zelda131.png

I have fixed the magic potion bug using a solution that makes no sense; judging from the code, it SHOULD work, but for some reason the potion check wasn't clearing the variable set up to check whether a potion is actually being used, even though there's no way it could actually be getting unset. I have no idea why it worked but incrementing your magic by 1 (if you're out of magic) before going into the while loop that refills your magic got the potion working properly again.

The ceiling apparently blocks whistle warps. I have fixed that.

Next project is to try a different pit script. Moosh has come up with one that works a lot better.

edit: pit script has been replaced! thanks moosh! pit warps now go directly to the same location on the destination screen, too, instead of the return square, so I could do more fun stuff with pit warps.

I'm not going to update the demo at this time, though. I'd like it to just stay what it's like as kind of a milestone.

Edited by Bagel, 09 June 2015 - 08:50 PM.

• is.lee.aac likes this

#15 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:33 AM

The demo was good and I liked it a lot.  The dungeons were fun/neat and the overworld was dang pretty

here's things
NzRQQSu.png
was mentioned already and probably fixed but i figured i'd post a screenshot just in case

R13y7fS.png
is this screen supposed to do anything?  cuz i played the whistle on the tile and nothing happened

i think the refill time for standing in light in lowlight temple could go a bit faster, if that hasn't been addressed already

i think those are actually the only potential problems i have in mind really

Edited by Truckroid, 29 June 2015 - 10:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users