• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:25 AM

I'm not entirely sure if I'll have enough time to make an update tomorrow, so instead I'll make the next bi-weekly update one day earlier.

So this update is more of a concept and a progress report. I've successfully completed Level 3 and I've been working quite a bit on Mushroom Hill, which is home to Symmetry Village/Ruins and where Level 4 is located. What will be featured here? Well, similarly to Talus Peaks from Oracle of Ages this is where the time warp mechanic will be used quite a bit as a gimmick for the area. This time though, the idea is that you need to time travel in order to get through pools of water and continue downwards to the base of the hill. In the present, there is plenty of water which can help to reach some areas. In the past, there isn't any water and instead is filled with holes and rocks in which could enable access to other areas in the mountain which you couldn't get to in the present. With these two together, interesting puzzles could be made out of this, even though they will be simple and quite easy.

The goal for this place is to try and enter Level 4. Someone in Symmetry Village (in the past) tells you that you need a special item to open up the volcano to get into Level 4, and the only way to get this special item is to visit someone on "Vine Wall" (formerly "Restoration Wall").

Anyways, here's yet another teaser screen for Mushroom Hill:
Posted Image
(Taken from the screenshot critique thread)

Thanks for reading!
  • FireSeraphim, Shane, WindRobe and 2 others like this

#2 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:28 AM

I can tell you right now that only gameplay will save this quest, not many people will that impressed with the visual alones. They look good, it just doesn't give me that spark.

Edited by GhostKnight22, 10 April 2015 - 06:29 AM.

• Eddy likes this

#3 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:29 AM

Mushroom Hill sounds like a fun place to get high

up.

• Eddy, Jared, SyrianBallaS and 1 other like this

#4 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:31 AM

Magic Mushrooms... get it?

• Shane and Eddy like this

#5 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:34 AM

I can tell you right now that only gameplay will save this quest, not many people will that impressed with the visual alones. They look good, it just doesn't give me that spark.

Fair enough, I don't plan to please everyone solely based off graphics.

Mushroom Hill sounds like a fun place to get high

up.

It sure does :P

Magic Mushrooms... get it?

I'm also starting to think this is going to be a thing lol

#6 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:36 AM

Its not the graphics themselves, they just seem generic to me. I could be wrong, we'd have to wait for the completed map for sound judgement. I never noticed it at first but the potion lady in ALTTP hints that it's a drug, aka a "medicine", that makes you "high" by making you think enemies have been transformed and having a placebo effect that vire increased your magic

Edited by GhostKnight22, 10 April 2015 - 06:37 AM.

#7 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:40 AM

I am quite an oddball then since I adore Gameboy Zelda graphics. Especially when they are used in a way that reflects the Gameboy Zelda games. That's the major appeal for me here. Eddy already knew how to make great gameplay a long time ago. I can't doubt him now. :P

• Eddy, Jared, SyrianBallaS and 1 other like this

#8 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:40 AM

Its not the graphics themselves, they just seem generic to me. I could be wrong, we'd have to wait for the completed map for sound judgement. I never noticed it at first but the potion lady in ALTTP hints that it's a drug, aka a "medicine", that makes you "high" by making you think enemies have been transformed and having a placebo effect that vire increased your magic

Ah well, I probably won't be showing off any completed maps for a while (minus the one on Map of the Month)

Edit:

I am quite an oddball then since I adore Gameboy Zelda graphics. Especially when they are used in a way that reflects the Gameboy Zelda games. That's the major appeal for me here. Eddy already knew how to make great gameplay a long time ago. I can't doubt him now.  :P

Thanks a bunch man! I'm very sure I won't disappoint you :P

Edited by Eddy, 10 April 2015 - 06:42 AM.

• Shane and SyrianBallaS like this

#9 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:43 AM

It's fine, I understand completely. Showing off too much of a project makes hype and is a buzzkill when it's not as great as the people perceived it to be.

#10 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:08 AM

I remember these mountains in OoA. I actually found it quite annyoing having to use the harp again and again to make progress, but is was cool regardless ;D

Which makes me wonder, how will going through time work in your quest? Just like in OoA?

And I really like the screen. It does look perfect.

• Eddy likes this

#11 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:12 AM

I remember these mountains in OoA. I actually found it quite annyoing having to use the harp again and again to make progress, but is was cool regardless ;D

Which makes me wonder, how will going through time work in your quest? Just like in OoA?

And I really like the screen. It does look perfect.

The time travelling in this quest will work almost the same as in Ages, except you only have one song this time round instead of 3. Unlike Ages though, I'm going to make sure that playing the harp to travel between times won't be as annoying as it was in Ages (where you need to repeatedly do this over and over and over).

Either way, thanks!

Edited by Eddy, 10 April 2015 - 08:12 AM.

#12 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:46 PM

I'm a sucker for GB graphics, and I think it looks nice! The time travel mechanic sounds really interesting. I hope this game comes out soon /\_/\

• Eddy likes this

#13 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:13 AM

I'm a sucker for GB graphics, and I think it looks nice! The time travel mechanic sounds really interesting. I hope this game comes out soon /\_/\

We'll see about the release date :P I'd rather take a long time on this than rush it and it turns out bad lol

Either way though, thanks :D

#14 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:34 AM

You're calling the area "Mushroom Hill", like in Sonic + Knuckles. I'm kind of wondering if it would be worth changing some graphics to make it have a bit more of a unique Sonic look to it without clashing. Do you think that you could edit the graphics for some of the trees to look more like oversized mushrooms, like the original?

• Eddy likes this

#15 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:35 AM

You're calling the area "Mushroom Hill", like in Sonic + Knuckles. I'm kind of wondering if it would be worth changing some graphics to make it have a bit more of a unique Sonic look to it without clashing. Do you think that you could edit the graphics for some of the trees to look more like oversized mushrooms, like the original?

I might consider this actually, that sounds like a good idea. I'll probably do that at a later stage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users