Sonic Mania

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#166 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

Well, this only makes it more confusing, but the games have Emeralds, Super Emeralds (which make the characters Hyper [or maybe just Sonic]) and there is also the Master Emerald

#167 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:39 PM

Yeah the emeralds and their forms have always been confusing. Remember when there were only six in Sonic 1, then they were like "Nah, there's actually 7 now".
  • Cukeman likes this

#168 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:06 PM

So if I have everything straight:

Games:

6 Emeralds

7 Emeralds -> Super Sonic -> 7 Super Emeralds -> Hyper Sonic

7 Emeralds -> Tails -> 7 Super Emeralds -> Super Tails

7 Emeralds -> Super Knuckles -> 7 Super Emeralds -> Hyper Knuckles

Master Emerald

Times Stones

Phantom Ruby

Comics

7 Emeralds -> Super Sonic

7 Emeralds -> Turbo Tails

7 Emeralds -> Hyper Knuckles

Master Emerald

...not...confusing...at...all  :eyeitus:

Edited by Cukeman, 07 September 2017 - 12:35 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#169 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:28 PM

Don't forget about the Super Emeralds that are only in Sonic 3 & Knuckles that are needed in conjunction with the Chaos Emeralds to go Hyper. :tard:

edit: According to that, there is a Hyper Knuckles.

edit 2: oops, saw you already mentioned that two posts ago. I guess that makes this post about as relevant as the Shadow the Hedgehog game.

edit 1 million: Okay. I tried. I don't like the special stages. I admit, they are addicting, and generally fun to play, but holy hell, are they just plain annoying at times. Not bad, or poorly designed, but annoying as shit. I've heard all the "git guds" and "there supposed to be annoyings" but I don't care, they are still annoying. I was stuck on the 4th one for a while and the 5th one is just bullshit. I have tried about 20+ times now, and no matter what, I can't get it. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I build up my speed, then get a ton of rings, and avoid obstacles 98% of the time, and I can't get anywhere close to it. I've seen the videos with the glitch were it just turns around and brings you the emerald, but I can't get it to do that either. I've also tried doing the jumping/ speed exploit, and just hopping through rough patches, but it is still miles ahead of me. What am I missing, my 5th emerald enlightened brothers, and sisters?

Another question, is the difficulty tied to what character you play as? I was literally able to get the first 4 emeralds with Tails alone first try. But with Sonic + Tails, the 4th one took me about 10 tries, and this fifth one, hoo boy.

The good news is, I can reach the first big ring (that I know of) in GHZ in about 46 seconds.

#170 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:35 PM

The Special Stages are hard AF until it clicks; it took me a million tries to get them all, but now I can get them 80% of the time. All I can say is don't expect anything, just play the game a lot and slowly let it sink in through osmosis until it becomes more of a second nature kind of thing. It has a very odd rhythm, but can be adapted to. Also, keep replaying the same level on a completed save file to get easy access to a Special Stage (Green Hill Zone 1 and Studiopolis Zone 1 are good). EDIT: Also I usually go for speed balls 1st lap and rings 2nd lap (to prevent distance between you and the UFO from growing).

Anyway, I've noticed this game has a fair amount of glitches. I've encountered slowdown, I've had Sonic crouching on the floor only to appear in the ceiling and take damage, I've had the music stop playing on a level, and I've had other things happen that I already posted about. I still love Sonic Mania, and I'm not saying the Genesis games didn't have glitches, it's just something that needs more work and time put into it. I'm not saying there wasn't a lot of work and time put into this game, just that there's still a few things left to polish up.

Also, I'm starting to feel that SSZ is the only zone that doesn't quite capture the gameplay of the original, not saying that's a problem, just something I noticed.

EDIT: Of course we could discuss how things get even more convoluted when Sonic CD calls Amy Rose "Princess Sally", or how Sonic Spinball has the SatAM cartoon characters in it while Mean Bean Machine has characters from the other cartoon :P EDIT: Along with Fang the Sniper and Nack the Weasel being the same character

Edited by Cukeman, 07 September 2017 - 03:06 AM.

#171 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:12 AM

Spoiler

• Eddy and Yloh like this

#172 Fiyaball

Fiyaball

I'll stop hoarding RPGs someday

• Members

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:25 AM

Games:

6 Emeralds

Master Emerald

Times Stones

Phantom Ruby

Comics

Master Emerald

Don't forget the 8th emerald in Sonic the Fighters, and all the 8 bit ones that only had 6. Welcome to Sonic lore; have fun going insane.

#173 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:53 PM

Come on! Koh shows of a video where he sets up a chain that takes up the whole screen and wipes out Eggman in one massive move. I try playing the round, and Eggman manages to get two 4-full-row garbage drops on me in the same match, within ten seconds. I swear, the "easy" AI for this thing has to be bugged at times.

#174 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:22 PM

Games:

6 Emeralds

Master Emerald

Times Stones

Phantom Ruby

Comics

Master Emerald

Don't forget the 8th emerald in Sonic the Fighters, and all the 8 bit ones that only had 6. Welcome to Sonic lore; have fun going insane.

Don't forget the six chaos rings in Knuckles Chaotix. Yep, that just happened. 

#175 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:43 PM

Easy explanation on Sonic 1 and the 8-bit games. Did Sonic ever turn into Super Sonic in those games? No, he didn't. They didn't discover the last Chaos Emerald and what they were able to do with the full set until Sonic 2 on the Genesis.

• Anthus likes this

#176 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:12 PM

The 7th emerald was in you Sonic, it was in you

#177 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:40 AM

The 7th emerald was in you Sonic, it was in you

Sonic, you were the 7th Emerald All Along!

#178 KEM64

KEM64

Junior

• Members

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

edit 1 million: Okay. I tried. I don't like the special stages. I admit, they are addicting, and generally fun to play, but holy hell, are they just plain annoying at times. Not bad, or poorly designed, but annoying as shit. I've heard all the "git guds" and "there supposed to be annoyings" but I don't care, they are still annoying. I was stuck on the 4th one for a while and the 5th one is just bullshit. I have tried about 20+ times now, and no matter what, I can't get it. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I build up my speed, then get a ton of rings, and avoid obstacles 98% of the time, and I can't get anywhere close to it. I've seen the videos with the glitch were it just turns around and brings you the emerald, but I can't get it to do that either. I've also tried doing the jumping/ speed exploit, and just hopping through rough patches, but it is still miles ahead of me. What am I missing, my 5th emerald enlightened brothers, and sisters?

Another question, is the difficulty tied to what character you play as? I was literally able to get the first 4 emeralds with Tails alone first try. But with Sonic + Tails, the 4th one took me about 10 tries, and this fifth one, hoo boy.

The good news is, I can reach the first big ring (that I know of) in GHZ in about 46 seconds.

Just a word of warning: If you think the 5th Special Stage is bad, the 6th one is even worse (I had the most trouble with that one, it could easily be the hardest Special Stage). If you can get past the 6th one, the 7th and final Special Stage is a total joke.

@Cukeman regarding glitches: The only issue I had with Sonic Mania is I had a moment where the music stopped playing. During Press Garden Act 2, the Act Clear theme started playing when I was nowhere near the boss (it was early in the Act). When it ended, the music stopped playing. I fixed it by jumping into a Blue Sphere stage. It was weird. I'm going to see if it happens again during my Tails playthrough (Playing through it again with Tails, then Knuckles, then Knuckles again....

Spoiler

#179 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:27 PM

I don't think we could've gotten a game along these lines in the Saturn days, when 3D took off there was a huge lack of interest in games that played like SNES/Genesis side-scrollers. People would have tore Sega a new one for not pushing the series to take advantage of new hardware with a new design. SNES and Genesis carts became dirt cheap, most people stopped caring, it wasn't until years later that retro became a thing and this stuff became popular again.

Cleared all 4 save files with all emeralds. No Save modes next, can't wait to try peel-out mode, kinda doubt the flash jump, or whatever you call it will make much difference to me since I never knew its purpose before now.

Edited by Cukeman, 09 September 2017 - 09:13 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#180 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:46 PM

That's a good point. Everyone was jumping to 3D at that time, so within that climate, people would have been pissed, or at least, uninterested in 'another' 2D Sonic.

This is off topic, but I have a soft spot for Sonic Lost World cause it is the closest realization to the cancelled Sonic X-Treme, which would have been Sonic's first 3D game. Instead we got a port of Sonic Isometr- I mean, Sonic 3D, and.. Sonic R?

As far as the special stages, a lot of what I've seen around the net, people find the 5th to be particularity hard. I've heard 6 and 7 are "easy" in comparison. Really, the first 4 were fine, but this one is kicking me in the shin real hard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users