Photo

ZCs existential problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

#46 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 23 August 2021 - 03:04 PM

5.  Modular scripting is too expensive.  The cost of this is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Not only must you pay for the developer but you must also pay people who write modular scripts.  Who is going to pay for it?  Certainly not any type B player.

Well damn I stopped doing ZC scripting stuff way too soon, apparently

Could have been pretty freaking rich by now o:

• Magi_Hero, Rambly, Anthus and 7 others like this

#47 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 August 2021 - 03:22 PM

Let's just say that I wish he was trolling

I'm convinced this thread is a red herring and this is just 4D trolling to make us suspect he's genuine and not trolling since he knows we're onto him.................

• Anthus and Twilight Knight like this

#48 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 23 August 2021 - 03:57 PM

everyone do the spacemandan <('.'<)
  • SpacemanDan, Shane and Bagu like this

#49 Valerie

Valerie

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 23 August 2021 - 04:16 PM

I think James24 is an outdated AI that just isn't functioning well on modern hardware. His creator really should update him to James25 or higher.
  • Anthus, Twilight Knight, SpacemanDan and 7 others like this

#50 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 August 2021 - 09:07 PM

The staff have been getting a little concerned about the nature of a few of the posts in this thread.

I am not going to be locking the thread at this time in the interest of maintaining some of the more productive conversations that have occurred here. That being said, I do want to remind everyone about the respect others rule, specifically the following segment.

Members are expected to treat each other with respect. We want to keep our public spaces comfortable for everyone. Harassment and disrespectful attitudes toward other members and staff won't be tolerated.

While you are obviously free to disagree with James and his perspectives on these issues, please do not resort to insulting him and being disrespectful in your replies. This applies even if the vast majority of the member base disagrees with his viewpoints. We do not want to see these kinds of replies moving forward.

Additionally, James, I highly suggest that you refrain from posting more about these trite topics. It's evident that the response is nearly identical every time since you are just repeating yourself under the surface, and this causes these types of threads to really go nowhere.

• Twilight Knight, Jenny, Moosh and 4 others like this

#51 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 23 August 2021 - 11:30 PM

I have returned from a several year long hiatus just to overwork my Zelda quest pack, and those quests are all Z1 style. Not a single script in them. The only one that has scripts is the randomizer coded by Hero of Fire combined with my quests and dungeons. I can’t script for shit, and I don’t want to. And seeing that at least four different Youtubers have actually played all of my quests proves that you don’t have to be a pro scripter to make somewhat entertaining quests.

• Twilight Knight, Matthew, Emily and 1 other like this

#52 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 24 August 2021 - 01:22 AM

David - if people want to speak their frank and rude ideas to me I'm happy to hear them out.  Crude, abusive or otherwise - its just talk.  Talk is cheap, talk is worthless, talk is nothing.  I don't even feel it at all when people tell me very bluntly how they feel about my ideas and opinions.  In fact, I encourage it - people should be saying what they truly think.  I'll tell you what I really get mad about - its action.  Having your game die - that is infinitely more hurtful than thousands of lines of abusive posts.

Perhaps people here are not familiar with the way things were in Zelda Classic in the old days.  Did you know that once upon a time Zelda Classic had a much, much larger fanbase than we have now?  Once upon a time, we had several quests per month.  Now, there are some months with just 1 quest or none at all.  But where are the fans now?  We've dwindled down to this small handful of enthusiasts.  Some of us have lived through this golden age - we know what it was like.  Others have come to accept this reality as the norm.  How can this dwindling be seen as anything other than a sign of dying?

Do people ever wonder why CEOs and top management at successful companies get paid so much?  Its because they solve these kinds of problems - the problems no one wants to hear about - the problems that everyone wishes never existed.  Now, if this were a type B fanbase I would be your champion and quietly take care of this problem behind the scenes for the good of everyone.  But, its not.  This is a type A fanbase and so it must fight this battle alone.  All I'll do is advise and tell you what the problem is and how to go about fixing it.  But I won't fix it for you.  This is type A's crisis and it and it alone must fight it.

The gears in the dog's brain turn.  It looks out into the stars puzzled and bemused.  Although it sees the problem, its brain does not truly comprehend it.  For a split second it wonders what it needs to do to fix it.  Its too much for the dog - and the dog starts barking and barking loudly.

• OUCH!, coolgamer012345 and Bagu like this

#53 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 24 August 2021 - 01:39 AM

People who use the term dog pejoratively often exhibit dog-like qualities themselves. I've never been fond of that attitude.

Edited by BigJoe, 24 August 2021 - 01:51 AM.

• Rambly likes this

#54 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 24 August 2021 - 01:53 AM

James24,

I begin to understand some things you're worried about.

I guess, there's a large, potential, international fanbase, but this is really a matter of translation.
maybe WE, the (international-)enthusiasts, you're talking about, could help a little.

(Post youtube ZC tutorials in you're mother language. Advertise the programm AND IT'S SOURCE, in social media Gamer-, LoZ Fan- and other -Groups...
...instead of only presenting your games/quest, letsplays and artwork.)

ZC is what it is, and I don't think we should change too much.

I love the programm and the easy handling.
I don't want a "Scripters-Only! Programm". Or an overloaded cryptic interface with billions of categories an options, that no one understands.
(what doesn't mean that I don't like more new features and engine functions).

Edited by Bagu, 24 August 2021 - 02:00 AM.

#55 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 24 August 2021 - 02:08 AM

The ZC Userbase is a bunch of lying, scamming, greedy twats. Nothing is pleasant about this. You have Darth Vader impersonator over here trying to convince people to woship him and his binary interpretation of how quests should be, and countless people stealing and manipulating work out of others. Backstabbers, gay-acting gay-shamers. Every kind of disgusting hypocrite you can imagine. they dont deserve what theyve got. I HIGHLY wish I could take time back and let ZC end at version 1.84. If I had known the ball would have been set rolling in this direction, I would have happily played demo, revenge, new, and even magmalords shit till the end of time. This whole thing reeks and needs to be disposed of.

#56 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 24 August 2021 - 02:13 AM

Party on, Mates...

...that's not my kind of conversation 

• Twilight Knight likes this

#57 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 24 August 2021 - 03:26 AM

People who use the term dog pejoratively often exhibit dog-like qualities themselves. I've never been fond of that attitude.

Hey Big Joe, my friend, I'm a cat purrson anyway. I'm even afraid of dogs. Meow! =)

Edited by Matthew Bluefox, 24 August 2021 - 03:28 AM.

#58 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 24 August 2021 - 04:07 AM

edit: eh never mind.

me trying to fight the decisions made here in public is just upsetting people and causing community strife so ive decided to make my concerns private

Edited by Rambly, 24 August 2021 - 04:45 AM.

• Deedee likes this

#59 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 24 August 2021 - 08:52 AM

Crude, abusive or otherwise - its just talk.  Talk is cheap, talk is worthless, talk is nothing.

And yet all you do is talk, I don't see you doing anything to deal with the problems you perceive.

The majority of the people posting in this thread are at this moment doing things to further zelda classic: be it developing the engine, making tilesets, making quests, scripting new features.

Talk is indeed cheap, talk is indeed worthless, and all you do is talk James.
  • Rambly, Twilight Knight, Orithan and 2 others like this

#60 TheManHimself

TheManHimself

Real Human Bean

• Members

Posted 24 August 2021 - 09:21 AM

James2499191692 if zelda classic is so dead why do you make the same thread 3 times a month: you seem really invested in this for somebody who doesn't even really participate in the community outside of whiney doom-posts. Talk is cheap, so why do you keep on repeating yourself on a fangame program's forum instead of doing something to make things better?
  • Rambly and Shane like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users