• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Opechan

Opechan

Gamer, Musician, Friend

• Members

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:14 PM

Hello everyone,
My name is Clifton, and I've been lingering in the PureZC community for a while now, but this is my first true post in regards to my own work. I've worked on seemingly countless quests thus far, but either due to not finishing or not posting them due to lack of satisfaction in the quest, I haven't posted a quest, so I thought that I could turn to the forums for help. I've decided to start from scratch, building a brand new quest(using Zquest v2.50), and while I've got a general outline for what I'm looking to do and I have quite a bit of experience in the program, I'm looking for some help. Anyone who is interested in helping with it is welcome to leave a message on this thread or PM me, and we could throw ideas around or I could listen to suggestions or advice from veterans in the program. Obviously, credit will be given where due in the quest, and I'm just looking for people who would be interested in helping in any way, be it giving ideas, scripts, advice, or actually cooperatively working on the quest. Anyone who wants to help a fellow Zquester out will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Jared and SyrianBallaS like this

#2 centraltree

centraltree

green

• Members

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:31 PM

ill lend a hand to the best of my ability although they are limited. 

• SyrianBallaS likes this

#3 Opechan

Opechan

Gamer, Musician, Friend

• Members

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:18 PM

Okay, I really appreciate it. Is there any aspect of the game (overworld, level design, items, side quests, story, etc.) that you would be interested in helping with? Like I said, I am starting completely from scratch, so while I have a basic idea of what I am going to be aiming for in the creation of the game, I am totally open to ideas and suggestions from my piers.

Edited by Clifton1231, 18 June 2015 - 03:22 PM.

#4 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:54 PM

Hello everyone,
My name is Clifton, and I've been lingering in the PureZC community for a while now, but this is my first true post in regards to my own work. I've worked on seemingly countless quests thus far, but either due to not finishing or not posting them due to lack of satisfaction in the quest, I haven't posted a quest, so I thought that I could turn to the forums for help. I've decided to start from scratch, building a brand new quest(using Zquest v2.50), and while I've got a general outline for what I'm looking to do and I have quite a bit of experience in the program, I'm looking for some help. Anyone who is interested in helping with it is welcome to leave a message on this thread or PM me, and we could throw ideas around or I could listen to suggestions or advice from veterans in the program. Obviously, credit will be given where due in the quest, and I'm just looking for people who would be interested in helping in any way, be it giving ideas, scripts, advice, or actually cooperatively working on the quest. Anyone who wants to help a fellow Zquester out will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I was pretty much the same way my man, I suck at scripting, and palettes from ZQ and ZC don't seem to match up but I can help you out if you want my skype's email is scharif01@outlook.com if you want some insight on game design.

ill lend a hand to the best of my ability although they are limited. 

Mine as well. I can help with design, and such but ZQ is too ancient for me.

Okay, I really appreciate it. Is there any aspect of the game (overworld, level design, items, side quests, story, etc.) that you would be interested in helping with? Like I said, I am starting completely from scratch, so while I have a basic idea of what I am going to be aiming for in the creation of the game, I am totally open to ideas and suggestions from my piers.

Don't be too ambitious, start small with basic ideas. Once their good, add on.

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 18 June 2015 - 03:55 PM.

• Opechan likes this

#5 centraltree

centraltree

green

• Members

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:56 PM

im most comfortable w/ overworld and i will try my best to assist when i can 

• Opechan likes this

#6 Opechan

Opechan

Gamer, Musician, Friend

• Members

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for the insight Samer. I'll definitely take the advice and start small and build on that. By game design what exactly do you mean? Are you talking about overworld, levels, or just everything in general( or something more specific that I missed?) Centraltree, as far as overworld help, I could definitely use that. I'll PM both of you for more information if you would like.

Edited by Clifton1231, 18 June 2015 - 06:07 PM.

#7 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:11 PM

Game design is all the subfactors combined into one cohesive game.

i.e., music, graphics, programming, memory management, ideas/abstractions, overworld design, enemy design, dungeon design, and stuff like that. Before implementation.

You don't really need programming for ZC though.

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 18 June 2015 - 06:15 PM.

• Opechan likes this

#8 Opechan

Opechan

Gamer, Musician, Friend

• Members

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:20 PM

Alright, thanks. If you're willing to help with some of the ideas and things like that, that would definitely be a huge help.

For any of you wondering, if it makes a difference I'm planning on using one of the versions of the pure tileset (can't remember which one), so if that would help in any way knowing what tileset the game will be based around, there you go.

#9 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:21 PM

I can help improve, but the ideas come your head not mine.

Pure 2.0 is pretty good, like anything, it needs tweaks.

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 18 June 2015 - 06:23 PM.

• Opechan likes this

#10 Opechan

Opechan

Gamer, Musician, Friend

• Members

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:24 PM

Okay, got it. Thanks for the support!:)

#11 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:26 PM

No problem my man, to me, ZC/ZQ is like trying to make a game with DOS.

I admire the determination of others that can do things otherwise I cannot at present.

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 18 June 2015 - 06:27 PM.

• Opechan likes this

#12 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:41 AM

I was pretty much the same way my man, I suck at scripting, and palettes from ZQ and ZC don't seem to match up but I can help you out if you want my skype's email is scharif01@outlook.com if you want some insight on game design.

Mine as well. I can help with design, and such but ZQ is too ancient for me.

Don't be too ambitious, start small with basic ideas. Once their good, add on.

You must have missed my message: The reason that your screen design in ZQ looks different in ZC viewer, is because you have the settings in the DMAP editor for that room, on one Level CSet, but you don't have ZQ set to view using that level palette. Hit F4, and change the screen palette to display in the same palette as the DMAP settings, and the colours will be correct in both views.

To determine the correct palette, go to Quest->DMaps ; the double click the DMAP on which the screen resides. Click on the 'Appearance' tab, and you will see a pull-down 'Color'. That is the level palette for the DMAP. Note the three digit number for it.

Close out of that, and either go to Screen->Palette, or press F4. Change the palette to match the numbered palette of the DMAP. (This only changes the display view in ZQ, so you want this to match the actual palette of the DMAP that you are editing.)

The purpose of this set-up, is to reuse screens on more than one DMAP, with different palettes.

Note, that layers drawn from others screens, use the palette of the Layer-0 screen to which they are drawn. It's a shame, but that's the way it works. I learnt this, while trying to use an alternate palette for water on higher layers (it had to do with shading layered water).

To modify level palettes, go to Quest->Graphics->Palettes->Levels to open the level palette editor.

Clifton, do you have any kind of plot, or map of where you want to go with your project? Things such as story outlines, character details, maps, world layout; anything of that nature?

• Opechan likes this

#13 Opechan

Opechan

Gamer, Musician, Friend

• Members

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:33 AM

Absolutely Zoria, I guess I was a bit sparing with details. As for the plot, I've got a pretty decent idea of where I'm looking to go with it, and if you want more story details or things like that I could post some of that stuff if you would like.

As far as the general overworld, I've always struggled with making good overworlds, so I could definitely use help in figuring out what I could do to make a decent overworld with the layout I have. At the moment I have two ideas, and I don't know what direction I want to go with the quest as far as length, because I'm torn on whether I should make a shorter game with 3 dungeons, some side stuff, and a final level, or if I want to go the full mile and turn it into a full 6-8 dungeon quest, and it really just depends on where all other aspects of the game take me, because dungeon design is by far my strong suit, but I don't want to focus on that too much and cause other areas of the game to lack. As far as dungeons go, I have the layout for two of the dungeons complete, everything else is still in development.

As with everyone else, any advice, help or anything else would be appreciated.(if anyone needs more info just let me know, I still feel like my description of things was just a general outline.)

Edited by Clifton1231, 19 June 2015 - 08:34 AM.

#14 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:50 AM

For unique ideas, I'd do it privately.

• Opechan likes this

#15 Opechan

Opechan

Gamer, Musician, Friend

• Members

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:31 PM

Yeah, I agree. PM me for specific details if you're interested (anyone who is interested is welcome to ask)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New Quest, help, scripting, level design, 2.50

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users