Photo

Any tiles you want to see in the New BS set?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:44 PM

You know what strikes me as odd? The "subscreen" palette isn't actually used in the BS Zelda ROM. Come to think of it, its only useful for the blue frame and triforce frame(which also aren't in the rom.) So, I think we can scrap that palette all together. I don't know, it'd mean we'd have to fix the clouds, too. icon_shrug.gif

Its confusing to me.

#17 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE(Alestance @ Apr 18 2009, 05:44 PM) View Post
You know what strikes me as odd? The "subscreen" palette isn't actually used in the BS Zelda ROM. Come to think of it, its only useful for the blue frame and triforce frame(which also aren't in the rom.) So, I think we can scrap that palette all together. I don't know, it'd mean we'd have to fix the clouds, too. icon_shrug.gif

Its confusing to me.

Hmmm... you've got a point. I never thought to replace the Triforce frame found in VEL's BS Zelda tileset because it looks better than the one found in the actual ROM. So in theory, you COULD remove it in order to remain true to the original game. However, BS Zelda doesn't really have a problem with not having enough palette space for all the colors it uses... rather, it's ZC that has problems assigning the correct CSets to various enemies. If you were to remove the current duplicate CSet 9 (right now it is identical to CSet 7), there's plenty of CSet slots to account for all the item sprite CSets, one subscreen CSet, and then two extra CSets for general use (enemy sprite CSets, passageways, whatever).

If a "true to the original" BS Zelda subscreen requires new colors, yeah, you might want to make space for another CSet. But the original ROM's subscreen is pretty low-res, so I bet CSets 0 and 1 would suffice.

Oh, and about the clouds and sky: that was my very first original loose tile creation. I simply assumed that the Triforce frame CSet was a valid part of BS Zelda and used it for my pixel art. If you wanted to remove the Triforce frame CSet, I suppose you could just relocate the blue gradient CSet to a "Sky" level palette. icon_shrug.gif

#18 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

That could work, or you can likely use the water colors for the sky. icon_shrug.gif

People also want a C-Set 9 type palette that changes with the dungeon level, too. I don't know. icon_razz.gif

#19 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE(Alestance @ Apr 18 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post
That could work, or you can likely use the water colors for the sky. icon_shrug.gif

Tried that... the required color reduction is a little too extreme. icon_unsettled.gif

QUOTE(Alestance @ Apr 18 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post
People also want a C-Set 9 type palette that changes with the dungeon level, too. I don't know. icon_razz.gif

What would it be used for, though? Enemies? Items? Interior/exterior? Subscreens, even?

#20 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:16 PM

Well, yes to everything. Thats entirely up to the user. The subscreen background color changes depending on whether you're looking at the "This week's goal" subscreen, the overworld subscreen, and dungeon subscreen, so, why not? Also, is there any noticable use of C-set 0 and 1 in the ROM besides subscreen? Doesn't seem like thats the case.

#21 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE(Alestance @ Apr 18 2009, 08:16 PM) View Post
Well, yes to everything. Thats entirely up to the user. The subscreen background color changes depending on whether you're looking at the "This week's goal" subscreen, the overworld subscreen, and dungeon subscreen, so, why not? Also, is there any noticable use of C-set 0 and 1 in the ROM besides subscreen? Doesn't seem like thats the case.

The user can always change whatever they want, but in this case I think the tileset designer should pick a default.

Are you considering removing or replacing CSet 0 or 1? CSets 0 and 1 are used for subscreen objects and possibly a few items. Speaking from past experience, though, I'd say that that should be enough to justify leaving it alone. I removed CSet 11 (Ganon's CSet) because it was used so very infrequently, but now I regret it. Why? Because even though only one or two item sprites used that CSet, both Pure and DoR now have a similar grey CSet. Its absence in New BS causes problems when people want to rip in and recolor tiles from other tilesets.

#22 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:34 PM

I realize that C-Set 0 & 1 were used for the subscreen. Instead of dropping both of them, though, I combined them into one, then I realized the Bombs use one of those C-Sets. So, I scrambled to find a replacement, which came to me that in order to do that, I'd have to make a red and blue palette for the bombs, then. Meaning nothing was dropped, just rearranged. icon_shrug.gif

Edited by Alestance, 19 April 2009 - 01:36 PM.

#23 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE(Alestance @ Apr 19 2009, 11:34 AM) View Post
I realize that C-Set 0 & 1 were used for the subscreen. Instead of dropping both of them, though, I combined them into one, then I realized the Bombs use one of those C-Sets. So, I scrambled to find a replacement, which came to me that in order to do that, I'd have to make a red and blue palette for the bombs, then. Meaning nothing was dropped, just rearranged. icon_shrug.gif

That's sounds like it might not be totally unreasonable. CSets 0 and 1 do have a lot of colors that are infrequently used, and a few duplicates. What did you plan to do with the CSet space that was freed up?

#24 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:10 PM

I'm not entirely sure on that. I thought about putting in a teal and normal green c-set(because the green in c-set 7 is ugly as sin)

#25 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:00 AM

QUOTE(Alestance @ Apr 20 2009, 12:10 PM) View Post
I'm not entirely sure on that. I thought about putting in a teal and normal green c-set(because the green in c-set 7 is ugly as sin)

If I may make a suggestion...

If a spot is freed up, the Triforce frame CSet should be moved to CSet slot 0 or 1. Ganon's CSet should be returned to CSet slot 11, and CSet 9 should be used as the extra CSet, since it wouldn't be needed to emulate anything from the BS Zelda ROM itself.

I wouldn't try too hard too free up space, though, if there isn't a pressing need.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users